The Core is a 2003 disaster movie in which the Earth's core has stopped rotating. Within a year, the Earth will lose its electromagnetic shield and be fried by solar radiation. It's up to a small team of scientists to travel down to the core and restart it.
Dr. Serge Leveque
- I came here to save my wife and my two children and... six billion lives... it's too much. I just hope I'm, I'm smart enough and brave enough to save three.
- [After Dr. Josh Keyes states, I'm married to my work.] So am I. Which makes my wife my mistress. That's why I'm still in love with her.
- [As walls close in and objects fall and collapse around him.] Josh? Where are you? I can't see you!
Rat/Theodore D. Finch
- [standing in front of a wall of PC towers] Ok, I know these look like computers - totally not!
- [to the FBI agents] My handle's Rat. Call me Rat.
- Wait a second...you guys aren't here to whack me are you? Cause I was kinda hoping to have sex before that happens...
- [Speaking to Zimsky about the number of languages he spoke] I speak one. 1-0-1-0-0. With that I could steal your money, your secrets, your sexual fantasies, your whole life. In any country, any time, any place I want. We multitask like you breathe. I couldn't think as slow as you if I tried.
- [replying to Dr. Keyes's help request] You want me to hack the planet? [talking to himself] He wants me to hack the planet.
- Here, now you have free long distance on this phone... forever.
- OK, if I decide to do this, I'm gonna need an unlimited supply of Xena tapes, and Hot Pockets...they help me focus.
- [referring to a virus he created] This is my Kung-Fu and it is strong!
- [referring to a superstorm] Rome does not look good.
- [Succsssfully hacks and stops DESTINI] Your Kung-Fu is not strong.
- DESTINI, meet world. World, meet DESTINI.
Dr. Josh Keyes
- Everybody on Earth is dead in a year. Let me explain why.
- Feel free to throw up. I know I do.
- Why don't you use a credit card? You get miles.
- Then we hotwire the nuclear bombs... [Braz: Yes.] ...As one does.
- Be wrong, be wrong!
- [Looking up at the night sky, seeing it full of aurora borealis and lightning strikes] I hate this sky.
Commander Robert Iverson
- Leadership isn't about ability; it's about responsibility.
- You're not really a leader until you've lost.
- [as his space shuttle heads into California] I'm not gonna crash into Los Angeles.
- It's the simplest things that are the hardest, huh?
Dr. Conrad Zimsky
- [After Iverson questions him about the core] Yes, yes, yes, yes, and what if the core is made of cheese? This is all best guess commander. That's all science is, is best guess.
- Let me smoke a cigarette first and I'll tell you.
- Oh come on you're a bunch of suicidal morons! What are you, crazy?! Plan C? "Restart the core somehow?" Oh that's a great idea! That's a brilliant idea! I can't believe I'm stuck on this floating septic tank with you lunatics! You may have nothing to lose, you may have nothing to lose, you may have nothing to lose, but I have my life to lose thank you very much while you're up! Now turn it around! He told us to go back, and we're going back! Why? You wanna be a hero? You wanna be a martyr? What do you want to be? You're out of your minds! Thank you!
- [Said while recording his final thoughts on a tape recorder sitting next to an armed thermonuclear bomb, waiting for it to detonate and kill him] What the fuck am I doing? (laughs)
Dr. Edward Brazelton
- Are you going to be doing that Carl Sagan narration all the way down to the core?
- Say it with me: "I don't know."
- Look, I built the ship in 3 damn months, I never realised I'd be deliberately sabotaging it, I'm sorry!
- [Punches Zimsky clean out] It's not a stupid ship.
- [On sacrificing himself] If Virgil needs more blood, it will be my blood.
- Col. Robert Iverson: Being a leader isn't about ability. It's about responsibility.
- Maj. Rebecca Childs: Got it, sir.
- Col. Robert Iverson: No you don't, Beck. I mean, you're not just responsible for the good ones. You've got to be responsible for the bad ones. You've got to be ready to make the shitty call.
- Maj. Rebecca Childs: What makes you think I'm not?
- Col. Robert Iverson: Because you're so damn good. You haven't hit anything you couldn't beat. I mean, hell, you were the one who figured out how to save the space shuttle. You made me, you made the rest of NASA just look like an ass. It's just you're used to winning... and you're not really a leader until you've lost.
- Col. Robert Iverson: People. Doctors Zimsky and Keyes? You guys are our resident geophysicists, so what do you make of this?
- Dr. Conrad Zimsky: The mantle is a chemical hodgepodge of, a, variety of elements...
- Dr. Ed 'Braz' Brazzelton: Say it with me: "I don't know."
- Beck: Hey guys, we're closing in on the inner core.
- Josh: The nukes are ready. The timers are on.
- Beck: Great. Let's start dropping them.
- Zimsky: No. The bombs are not built for these pressures. That's why they were in that pod. If you send them out now, out of that casing, they'll be crushed instantly.
- Beck: And I assume we have a plan D.
- Josh: Plan D is Virgil's compartiments. We put a nuke in each section of Virgil and then eject the individual sections. They should stay intact long enough for the nuke to go off. [Braz sighs]
- Josh: What?
- Braz: The Virgil is not designed to eject undamaged compartments. [Shows them an animation] Okay, these are the ejection mechanisms holding each compartment in place. They're all connected by one master hydraulic gear, kind of like keys on a keyring. What we have to do, we have to unlock the piston. That will release the compartments so the bombs can be jettisoned.
- Zimsky: Where's the master gear?
- Braz: In the crawl space we used to get out earlier.
- Zimsky: [Frustrated] Well, what the hell is it doing there?
- Braz: Look, I had this ship built in three damn months; I didn't think I'd deliberately be sabotaging her, I'm sorry!
- Josh: So one of us has to go in there.
- Braz: Correct.
- Beck: Into the crawl space, that has core fluid at over 9000 degrees?
- Braz: Yes.
- Josh: Can you flush it with liquid nitrogen?
- Braz: We don't have enough of it at this point.
- Zimsky: 9000 degrees. And our suits are built to withstand...?
- Braz: Half that, probably.
- Zimsky: Right, half that.
- Josh: So what you're saying is, whoever goes into that crawl space, is not coming back.
- Earth has a deadline
- In a year, everyone on Earth is dead.
- The only way out is in.
- Say it with me: "I don't know."
- Aaron Eckhart - Dr. Josh Keyes
- Hilary Swank - Maj. Rebecca 'Beck' Childs
- Stanley Tucci - Dr. Conrad Zimsky
- Delroy Lindo - Dr. Ed 'Braz' Brazleton
- DJ Qualls - Taz 'Rat' Finch
- Tchéky Karyo - Dr. Serge Leveque
- Richard Jenkins - Gen. Thomas Purcell
- Bruce Greenwood - Col. Robert Iverson
- Alfre Woodard - Dr. Talma Stickley
- Rekha Sharma - Danni