The Day the Earth Stood Still (2008 film)
The Day the Earth Stood Still is a 2008 film American alien science fiction movie directed by Scott Derrickson and starring Keanu Reeves in lead role as Klaatu. This movie is a remake of the 1951 movie of the same name. In this movie alien Klaatu comes to Earth to convince mankind to change human behavior or eradicate them from Earth.
|This film article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- Regina Jackson: What is your purpose in coming here?
- Klaatu: There is a gathering of world leaders not far from here. I will explain my purpose to them.
- Regina Jackson: I am afraid that is not possible. Perhaps you should explain yourself to me instead.
- Klaatu: Do you speak for the entire human race?
- Regina Jackson: I speak for the President of the United States. Now please, tell me why have you come to our planet.
- Klaatu: Your planet?
- Regina Jackson: Yes. This is our planet.
- Klaatu: No, it is NOT.
- Helen Benson: I need to know what is happening.
- Klaatu: This planet is dying. The human race is killing it.
- Helen Benson: So you have come here to help us.
- Klaatu: No, I didn't.
- Helen Benson: You said you came to save us.
- Klaatu: I said I came to save the Earth.
- Helen Benson: You came to save the Earth from us.
- Klaatu: We can't risk the survival of this planet for the sake of one species.
- Helen Benson: What are you saying?
- Klaatu: If the Earth dies, you die. If you die, the Earth survives. There are only a handful of planets in the cosmos that are capable of supporting complex life.
- Helen Benson: You can't do this.
- Klaatu: This one can't be allowed to perish.
- Helen Benson: We can change. We can still turn things around.
- Klaatu:: We have watched. We have waited and hoped that you would change.
- Helen Benson: Please.
- Klaatu: It has reached the tipping point. We have to act.
- Helen Benson: Please.
- Klaatu: We will undo the damage you have done and give the Earth a chance to begin again.
- Helen Benson: Don't do this. Please, we can change. We can change.
- Klaatu: The decision is made. The process has begun.
- Regina Jackson: History has lessons to teach us about first encounters between civilizations. As a rule the less advanced civilization is either exterminated or enslaved. I'm thinking of Pizarro and the Incans, Columbus and the Native Americans, and the list goes on. Unfortunately in this case, the less advanced civilization is us.
- Michael Granier: This is the representative of an extra-terrestrial civilization. This is the most important discovery in the history of Mankind!
- Regina Jackson: It may well be the last discovery in the history of Mankind.
- Professor Barnhardt: There must be alternatives. You must have some technology that could solve our problem.
- Klaatu: Your problem is not technology. The problem is you. You lack the will to change.
- Professor Barnhardt: Then help us change.
- Klaatu: I can not change your nature. You treat the world as you treat each other.
- Professor Barnhardt: But every civilization reaches a crisis point eventually.
- Klaatu: Most of them don't make it.
- Professor Barnhardt: Yours did. How?
- Klaatu: Our Sun was dying. We had to evolve in order to survive.
- Professor Barnhardt: So it was only when your world was threatened with destruction that you became what you are now.
- Klaatu: Yes.
- Professor Barnhardt: Well that is where we are. You say we are on the brink of destruction and you are right. But it is only on the brink that people find the will to change. Only at the precipice do we evolve. This is our moment. Don't take it from us, we are close to an answer.
- Only at the precipice we change.
- Klaatu barada nikto
- Keanu Reeves - Klaatu
- Jennifer Connelly - Helen Benson
- Jaden Smith - Jacob Benson
- John Cleese - Professor Karl Barnhardt
- Jon Hamm - Dr. Michael Granier
- Kathy Bates - Regina Jackson
- Kyle Chandler - John Driscoll