The Descendants is a 2011 film about a Hawaiian land baron who tries to re-connect with his two daughters after his wife is seriously injured in a boating accident.
- Directed by Alexander Payne. Written by Alexander Payne, Nat Faxon, and Jim Rash, based on the novel by Kaui Hart Hemmings.
- [voiceover] Don't be fooled by appearances. In Hawaii, some of the most powerful people look like bums and stuntmen.
- [voiceover] Paradise? Paradise can go fuck itself.
- I don't want my daughters growing up entitled and spoiled... but I agree with my father; you give your children enough money to do something but not enough to do nothing.
- What is it that makes the women in my life destroy themselves?
- [to Alex, about Brian Speer] On the phone he can escape, in person, he's got nowhere to go. I wanna see his face.
- [to Brian Speer] Elizabeth is dying. Wait... Fuck you! And she's dying.
- [to Elizabeth] Goodbye, Elizabeth. Goodbye, my love, my friend, my pain, my joy. Goodbye. Goodbye. Goodbye.
- Hey, Scottie! Reina's a fucked-up hoe-bag and you need to stay away from her! And she's going to be a meth-head and she's gonna get used by stupid guys! She's a twat! Say it!
- [to Matt] It's ironic, Elizabeth in this misfortune just as you come into your fortune.
- Sid: [on Scott] That guy is a prick. Is he always like that?
- Matt King: Yeah.
- Matt King: You little fuck! Do you get hit a lot?
- Sid: I don't know, I've had my share.
- Matt King: [to Alex] Your friend is retarded, you know that?
- Sid: Hey I've got a brother who's retarded! You don't have to get all derogatory.
- Matt King: Nothing just happens!
- Brian Speer: Everything just happens.
- Matt King: One more question for you.
- Brian Speer: Yes?
- Matt King: Ever been inside my bedroom?
- Brian Speer: Once.
- Matt King: You could have had the decency to lie about that one.
- Brian Speer: Alright, twice.