The End of the Affair is a 1999 film about a novelist who has an affair with his friend's wife and becomes obsessed with her after she suddenly and inexplicably ends their affair.
The end was just the beginning.
- Directed by Neil Jordan. Screenplay written by Neil Jordan, based on the novel by Graham Greene.
- I hate you, God. I hate you as though you existed.
- To be is to be perceived.
- You have to understand. I'm jealous of everything that moves. I'm jealous of the rain!
- Pain is easy to write. In pain we're all drably individual. But what can one write about happiness?
- I had tempted fate, and fate had accepted.
- Tell Him I'm sorry. I'm too human. Too weak. Tell Him I can't keep my promises. I'm tired of being without you.
- You see I never stopped loving you, even though I couldn't see you.
- I've only made two promises in my life. One was to marry Henry, the other is to stop seeing you. And I'm too weak to keep either.
- Maurice Bendrix: I'm jealous of this stocking.
- Sarah Miles: Why?
- Maurice Bendrix: Because it does what I can't. Kisses your whole leg. And I'm jealous of this button.
- Sarah Miles: Poor, innocent button.
- Maurice Bendrix: It's not innocent at all. It's with you all day. I'm not.
- Sarah Miles: I suppose you're jealous of my shoes?
- Maurice Bendrix: Yes.
- Sarah Miles: Why?
- Maurice Bendrix: Because they'll take you away from me.
- Sarah: Love doesn't end, just because we don't see each other.
- Maurice Bendrix: Doesn't it?
- Sarah: People go on loving God, don't they? All their lives. Without seeing him.
- Maurice Bendrix: That's not my kind of love.
- Sarah: Maybe there is no other kind.
- Sarah: Are you on a new book?
- Maurice Bendrix: Of course.
- Sarah: It's not about us, is it? The one you threatened to write?
- Maurice Bendrix: A book takes a year to write. It's too hard work for revenge.
- Sarah: If only you knew how little you had to revenge.
- Maurice Bendrix: I'm joking. We are adults. We knew it had to end some time. Now we can have lunch and talk about your husband.
- The end was just the beginning.