The Hidden Fortress
The Hidden Fortress is a 1958 film about two greedy peasants, lured by gold, who escort a man and woman across enemy lines. However, they do not realize that their companions are actually a princess and her general.
- Directed by Akira Kurosawa. Written by Shinobu Hashimoto, Ryuzo Kikushima, Akira Kurosawa, and Hideo Oguni.
|This film article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
General Rokurota Makabe
- Hide a stone among stones and a man among men.
- What you make of another's kindness is up to you.
- Matashichi? Let's stay friends in Heaven, too.
- Tahei: Get away from me! You stink of dead bodies!
- Matakishi: Give it up. We both stink of dead bodies. And it's all your fault!
- [the two men rest against a wall of dirt from digging in the hidden fortress, Matashichi's leg over Tahei's. Tahei kicks it away]
- Tahei: What are you doing? Don't touch me, fool! It's uncomfortable enough.
- Matakishi: [Kicks Tahei's leg] It's your face that makes me uncomfortable.
- Tahei: Leave my face alone!
- [He starts blinking the sweat away profusely]
- Matakishi: I hate the way you blink all the time.
- [Tahei continues blinking]
- Matakishi: There you go again.
- Tahei: Shut up! Put your filthy teeth away!
- [He begins prodding at Matashichi with an oar]
- Tahei: Show them to me once more and I'll bash them in!
- [Matashichi lunges with a fork, its prongs landing right near Tahei's head. Tahei starts blubbering]
- Tahei: I'm quitting! This is idiotic! I dig and dig and nothing!
- Tahei: [Holding onto Matashichi as the escaping, rioting prisoners run past] Matashichi, this is hell!
- Matakishi: Let's die together.
- Tahei: If we want to get rid of him, now's our chance.
- Matakishi: Shhh.
- [He points at Princess Yuki sitting right behind them]
- Tahei: Don't worry. She's mute.
- Matakishi: She's mute but she can hear.
- Tahei: You idiot. A mute can't speak because they're deaf.
- [last lines]
- Tahei: [hands Matakishi a piece of gold] You take this.
- Matakishi: No, you keep it.
- Tahei: But...
- Matakishi: Don't worry about it.
- [they both laugh]
- Toshiro Mifune – General Rokurota Makabe
- Minoru Chiaki – Tahei
- Kamatari Fujiwara – Matashichi
- Susumu Fujita – General Hyoe Tadokoro
- Takashi Shimura – The Old General, Izumi Nagakura
- Misa Uehara – Princess Yuki
- Eiko Miyoshi – Old Lady-in-Waiting
- Toshiko Higuchi – Farmer's Daughter bought from slave trader
- Yū Fujiki – Barrier guard
- Yoshio Tsuchiya – Samurai on horse
- Kokuten Kōdō – Old man in front of sign