The Jungle Book (2016 film)
The Jungle Book is a 2016 American fantasy adventure film about an human boy who, guided by his animal guardians, sets out on a journey of self-discovery while evading the threatening Shere Khan.
- Directed by Jon Favreau. Written by Justin Marks, based on Rudyard Kipling's eponymous collective works and inspired by Walt Disney's 1967 animated film of the same name.
|This film article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- [to Shere Khan] I am Mowgli of the Seoni, and this is my home!
- [to Shere Khan] I'm not afraid of you! Do you hear me?! I'm done running from you!
- "Look for The Bear Necessities, the simple Bear Necessities, forget about your worries and your strife, I mean the Bare Necessities, old Mother Nature's recipes, the simple bare necessities of life!
- Relax, kid. No need to get worked up, okay?
- You have never been a more endangered species than you are at this moment.
- [To Bagheera] If you send him back to the Man-Village, they'll ruin him. They'll make a man out of him!
- If anything happens to that kid, I'll never forgive myself.
- [last lines] it's for the bare necessities the simple Bare Necessities forget about your worries and your strife I mean the Bear Necessities the simple bare necessities it's all great with the bear necessities!
- I can't help but notice there's this strange odor today. What is it? This scent that I'm on. It almost.. I was thinking it was some kind of... mancub.
- Mowgli? They've given it a name. When was it we came to adopt Man into the jungle?
- [playing with Akela's cubs after he killed Akela] I think they like me.
- [while talking to the wolf cubs] The one you really have to look out for is the cuckoo bird. Do you know how the cuckoo bird survives? By preying on a mother's weakness. The cuckoo bird is much too clever to raise its own young. Instead, it lays its eggs in another bird's nest. The mother bird is fooled, and it cares for the new chick. But do you know what happens to her own chicks? They starve and die from neglect. [turns toward Raksha] All because a mother loved a chick that wasn't even her own.
- [about to kill Bagheera after defeating him in fight] It's time we put an end to this!
- [last words before his death] Did you think I would let you grow old? [realizes that the branch he's standing on is about to crack] Either I'll devour you or the Red Flower will. It's just a matter of time. How long did you really think you'd survive against me? Longer than your father did? Longer than... Akela?
- [from trailer] Are you alone out here? What are you doing so deep in the jungle? Don't you know what you are? I know what you are. I know where you came from. Poor, sweet little cub. I'll keep you close. Let go of your fear now... and trust... in me.
- Mostly, men stay in their village, far from the dark of the jungle. But sometimes, they travel. And when they do, their caves breathe in the dark. They call it... the Red Flower. Man's creation. It brings warmth and light and destruction to all that it touches.
- Kid, I got ears. My ears got ears. Only I can protect you.
- Just one thing we need to reach our full potential. Bring me that Red Flower, and we will rule this jungle. I will protect you, and you will want for nothing ever again.
- Where are you going, man-cub?
- [to the Monkeys] Seize him!
- [to Mowgli] Akela? Oh, you didn't hear? Shere Khan... killed him. Must've been on account of you.
- [first lines] My leaf. This is mine. Mine, mine, mine. There some other--There's a rock. That's mud. That's just mud. There's a rock. That's my rock. That's my rock. Nobody touches my rock. There's another rock. Two rocks. Three rocks. Peace Rock? Peace Rock! It's the Truce! The Water Truce! It's Water Truce!
- Oh, that's my stick.
- Seriously, that's my stick.
- No, that's my stick! Let go of my stick. It's A WATER TRUCE! [Ikki's quills poked Mowgli's leg] Sorry. My bad. It's involuntary. I could pee on it.
- [last lines] Keep it dry, keep it dry, keep it dry. These quills get stuck on everything.
- [first lines]
- Bagheera: [narrates] Many strange tales are told of this jungle, but none so strange as the tale of the cub we call Mowgli.
- Shere Khan: Everyone comes to Peace Rock, so many smells to catch up on. But, um, I can't help but notice there's this strange odor today... What is it, this scent that I'm on? Almost...almost think it was some kind of man-cub. [spots Mowgli]
- Akela: Mowgli belongs to my pack, Shere Khan.
- Shere Khan: Mowgli? They've given it a name. When was it we came to adopt man into the jungle?
- Akela: He's just a cub.
- Shere Khan: [shows his scars] Does my face not remind you of what a GROWN man can do? Shift your hunting grounds for a few years, and everyone forgets how the law works. Well, let me remind you: a man-cub becomes man, and man is FORBIDDEN!!!
- Raksha: What do you know about law?
- Akela: Raksha.
- Raksha: Hunting for pleasure, killing for power, you've never known law. The cub is mine, mine to me. So, go back to where you came from, you burned beast!
- Akela: The tiger knows who rules this part of the jungle. I'm sure he doesn't mean to come here and make threats. Especially during a water truce.
- Shere Khan: Though I'm deeply respectful of these laws to keep us safe. So, here's my promise. Nothing lasts forever. The rains will return and the river will rise. And when this rock disappears, that truce will end. You want to protect him? Fine. But ask yourselves: How many lives is a man-cub worth?
- Bagheera: [softly and urgently] Down!
- Mowgli: What, now we have to bow at the buffalo, too?
- Bagheera: Listen to me. This is not a game. You're gonna run to that ravine.
- Mowgli: What are you talking about?
- Bagheera: Go to the north where the sky glows at night. I'll find you on that path.
- Mowgli: Bagheera, I'm not taking one more step until...
- [Shere Khan leaps roaring from the tall grass. Mowgli ducks and Bagheera deflects the attack. The two cats fight while Mowgli runs to the ravine. Shere Khan knocks Bagheera out, sees Mowgli and pursues]
- Bagheera: [calls out, unable to rise] RUN, MOWGLI! RUN!
- [Shere Khan visits the wolf pack and learns that Mowgli has left]
- Shere Khan: I suppose you know why I've come?
- Akela: The man-cub has left the jungle.
- Shere Khan: I thought I made myself clear that I wanted him to be handed over to me.
- Akela: We no longer harbor him. He's left the pack
- Shere Khan: And where may I ask has he gone?
- Akela: He's with his own kind now.
- Shere Khan: So, the Man Cub has left the jungle.
- Akela: [last words before his death] That's right. You and I no longer have to quarrel and, most importantly, we have peace.
- Shere Khan: Well, I guess it's done, then... ...unless, I can draw him BACK OUT!!! [pivots around, leaps forward, and crushes Akela's neck with his teeth]
- Raksha: AKELA!
- Shere Khan: [throws Akela's body off the cliff; to the wolves] Have I got your attention now?! I didn't want it to be this way; I made it so simple. All I asked for was one thing, and YOU DENIED me! Well, that ends now. Spread the word! Until I have the mancub, these hills are my hills. You did not respond to reason! So now you will know fear!
[After Shere Khan leaves the wolf pack, a tearful Raksha tearfully runs away for the death of her husband, despite her cubs to confort her]
- Mowgli: It's a honey stash for winter.
- Bagheera: Have you lost your mind?!
- Mowgli: You said you wouldn't get mad.
- Bagheera: Did you listen to anything Akela taught you? There's no place in the jungle for these... tricks! You wanna do this, you do this in the man-village.
- Mowgli: But I'm helping Baloo get ready for hibernation.
- Bagheera: Bears don't hibernate in the jungle. [to Baloo] What are you teaching him?
- Baloo: Not full hibernation, but I nap, a lot.
- Bagheera: Listen to me, you con artist! He may not know your game, but I do. He's leaving now.
- Mowgli: But I don't wanna leave!
- Bagheera: You don't have a choice!
- Baloo: Why don't we all just settle down for a minute? Look, it's gotten late. Too late to travel, so why don't we all just have a little honey...?
- Bagheera: I don't eat honey.
- Baloo: No problem. I'll eat the honey. Let's all get a good night's sleep, and we can talk about this in the morning.
- Bagheera: Fine, but we're leaving first thing.
- [As Mowgli is almost out of the monkey temple, Louie gets in his way and stops in front of him.]
- King Louie: Where are you going, man cub?
- Mowgli: STAY AWAY FROM ME!!
- King Louie: You don't have anyone now. You don't have anyone now. I'm your only hope. I can make it real good for you here. Where else you gonna go?
- Mowgli: I'll go back to the pack! I'll go back to Akela!
- King Louie: Akela? Oh. You didn't hear? Shere Khan killed him. [Mowgli gasps in shock at what Bagheera says about Akela] Must've been on account of you.
- Mowgli: [furious] NO!!! YOU'RE LYING!!!
- [He starts running away, Louie keeps on chasing him.]
- Baloo: "This is the law of the jungle, as old and as true as the sky."
- Shere Khan: What is this?
- Baloo: "The wolf that keeps it may prosper"
- Baloo and Bagheera: "... but the wolf that breaks it will die ."
- Shere Khan: You fools.
- Baloo, Bagheera and Raksha: "Like the creeper that girdles the tree trunk, the law runneth over and back."
- Shere Khan: Fine! Rise up, all of you! You want to put yourselves between me and the man-cub?!
- Baloo, Bagheera and Raksha: "For the strength of the pack is the wolf..."
- Baloo, Bagheera, Raksha and Mowgli: [further joined by the other wolves] "... and the strength of the wolf is the pack!"
- Shere Khan: I will have you ALL IN MY TEETH!
- Bagheera: [tackles Mowgli to restrain him from fighting Shere Khan] Stay here!
- Mowgli: [trying to push Bagheera's paw away] But I want to fight with the wolves!
- Bagheera: You can't fight him like a wolf! You're not a wolf! Fight him like a man!
- Bill Murray as Baloo
- Ben Kingsley as Bagheera
- Idris Elba as Shere Khan
- Lupita Nyong'o as Raksha
- Scarlett Johansson as Kaa
- Giancarlo Esposito as Akela
- Christopher Walken as King Louie
- Garry Shandling as Ikki
- Brighton Rose as Grey Brother
- Jon Favreau as Pygmy Hog
- Sam Raimi as Indian Giant Squirrel
- Russell Peters as Rocky the Rhino
- Madeleine Favreau as Raquel the Rhino
- Sara Arrington as Nelgai
- Frank Welker as Monkeys