The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (film)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is a 2003 film based on the comic-book tales of Alan Moore of a rare group of legendary fictional heroes, each one usually a loner, who come together to save the world in 1899.
- Directed by Stephen Norrington.
Prepare for the Extraordinary. #taglines
- If you can't do it with one bullet, don't do it at all.
- Automatic rifles. Who in God's name has automatic rifles?
- Very American. Fire enough bullets and hope to hit the target.
- [last words to Tom, as he's dying] May this new century be yours, son, as the old one was mine.
- [About Hyde] That was naughty!
- [teaching Tom to shoot] Take your time. [Tom shoots and misses] Too soon, but that was bloody close.
- [after having to put his glasses on before shooting someone] I hate getting old.
- [Knocks out an enemy by smashing a liquor bottle on him; looks at the broken bottle] Wicked waste.
- [He impales an enemy on the horn of a bull head on the wall. The Union Jack then drapes over the dead enemy] Rule Britannia.
- [after seeing Mina kill one of M's men] Boy. They told me European women had funny ways.
- [Allan is teaching him to shoot from the deck of the Nautilus] Did you teach your son to shoot like this? [turns to see Allan has left]
- We're alive. If M has any ideas to the contrary, that gives us an edge
Dr. Henry Jekyll
- Dr. Jekyll, at your service, sir.
- [As reflection, to Hyde] Bravo, Edward.
- [To Hyde, the reflection] What are you talking about?!?
- No! I will not let Hyde use me again!
- Now lets not make a saint out of a sinner! Next time he may not be so helpful!
- [To Nemo, Hyde just tried to strangle him] Your talk is all well and good, sir! But your own past is far from laudable! [leaves]
- Home. Home is where the heart is, that's what they say, and I have missed London so. Its sorrow is as sweet to me as a rare wine.
- We can do it, Henry, together.
- [To Sawyer, after he claims not to be afraid] YOU STINK OF FEAR!
- [As Henry's reflection, while listening to M's and Dorian's message]:Turn it off, Henry... turn it off!!
- Oh, chemist, eh? Do we get to blow something up, then?
- [after groping Mina] Been wanting to do that all week.
- [A note from the Nautili] 'Ello, my freaky darlings.
- This is a charming spot. Does Jack the Ripper live here?
- I'm feeling a bit of a draft in my nether regions. And I must say, it's quite refreshing.
- Not Gray. He's lived long enough.
- Save your bullets. These men are MINE!
- [to Dorian Gray] You broke my heart once. This time you missed.
- I've lived long enough to see the future become history, Professor. Empires crumble. There are no exceptions.
- I'm an immortal, sir, not a gazelle!
- Sensors attached to bombs. Bomb voyage.
- [to Mina after impaling her] I was hoping I'd get to nail you one last time...I didn't think it'd be literally.
- [Fighting Mina, who is also immortal] We'll be at this all day.
- [Mina has stabbed him in the groin] If that had been permanent, I would have been very upset!
- [to Gray] You think you're better than me. You forget: I've seen your painting.
- [To Quatermain] Oh, and I'm scarred, Mr. Quatermain, not blind. Drop the gun.
- Karl Draper: (in German) What do you want?
- The Fantom: The world, Herr Draper. I want the world.
- [The Fantom is thrown a rocket launcher by one of his men]
- Karl Draper: Are you crazy? This place is full of hydrogen gas!
- The Fantom: Really? That's so frightening. [Fires the rocket at a zeppelin]
- [After Allan reveals his identity to Reed]
- Nigel: Shall I toddle off, then, Allan?
- Allan Quatermain: Yes, of course, Nigel, toddle off.
- Nigel: Toddling.
- Sanderson Reed: [War with] Everyone. A world war.
- Allan Quatermain: And this notion makes you sweat?
- Sanderson Reen: Heavens, man. Doesn't it you?
- Allan Quatermain: This is Africa, dear boy. Sweating is what we do.
- Sanderson Reed: Where is your sense of patriotism?
- Allan Quatermain: [stands up with his drink] God save the Queen!
- [the other patrons of the club mutter an apathetic return to the toast]
- Nigel: God save her, Allan, God bless her.
- Allan Quatermain: [to Reed] That's about as patriotic as it gets around here.
- Nemo: We have trouble.
- Hyde: Trouble? I call it sport.
- Dr. Henry Jekyll: No. Hyde will never use me again.
- Dorian Gray: Then what good are you?
- Marksman #2: What are you?
- Dorian Gray: I'm complicated.
- Allan Quatermain: Ah, you're missing a picture, Mr. Gray.
- Dorian Gray: And you don't miss a thing, do you, Mr. Quatermain?
- Allan Quatermain: Oh, sometimes.
- Mina Harker: Nemo worships death. Are we sure we can trust him?
- Allan Quatermain: He's not the one I'm worried about.
- Allan Quartermain: Well, we were the faster, but now we're the tortoise to his hare.
- Dr. Henry Jekyll: So, we're done?
- Tom Sawyer: No, we're alive. If M has any idea to the contrary, that gives us an edge.
- Captain Nemo: The sea is vast, he could be anywhere.
- Tom Sawyer: Yeah, well, I'm an optimist, now maybe that's a crime to you twisted so-and-so's but it keeps me from going crazy.
- Mina Harker: Your optimism's out of place.
- Tom Sawyer: You're wrong! Because we'll get out, man... at least, *I* will. That other agent I told you about... was my childhood friend. We were agents together until The Fantom shot him dead. Now you can be done, but I am not. I will avenge his death.
- Dr. Henry Jekyll: It's not about any one of us, Tom. It's bigger than that.
- Tom Sawyer: Yes, it is, Jekyll! The fate for the world is in our hands... the world! So M tricked you, he brought you all together and you walked straight into his trap. But the way that I see it, that's the part he did wrong... He brought you together.
- Dr. Henry Jekyll: He has a point.
- Allan Quartermain: And the boy becomes a man... perhaps a leader of men.
- Mina Harker: And Women.
- Rodney Skinner (The Invisible Man): And they'll provide an antidote... well, that's if I'm a good boy.
- Allan Quatermain: And are you a good boy?
- Rodney Skinner (The Invisible Man): I guess you'll find out, won't you?
- Allan Quatermain: I've had women along on past exploits, and found them to be, at best, a distraction.
- Mina Harker: Do I distract you?
- Allan Quatermain: My dear girl, I've buried two wives and many lovers... and I'm in no mood for more of either.
- Rodney Skinner (The Invisible Man): You can send 'em my way.
- Allan Quatermain: Skinner, shut up.
- Captain Nemo: [Seeing one of M's men who has taken a large amount of Hyde's formula] What is that thing?
- Hyde: He's me on a bad day.
- Phantom's Soldier: [To Nemo] Draw your pistol.
- Captain Nemo: I walk a different path. [draws sword]
Quotes about The League of Extraodinary Gentlemen (film)
- I don't really mind the movie's lack of believability. Well, I mind a little; to assume audiences will believe cars racing through Venice is as insulting as giving them a gondola chase down the White House lawn. What I do mind is that the movie plays like a big wind came along and blew away the script and they ran down the street after it and grabbed a few pages and shot those. Since Oscar Wilde contributed Dorian Gray to the movie, it may be appropriate to end with his dying words: "Either that wallpaper goes, or I do."
- Prepare for the Extraordinary
- The power of seven become a league of one
- A Rogue. A Scientist. A Spy. A Hunter. A Vampire. A beast. An Immortal.
- Waiting To Be Impressed? You're About To Be.
- An Adventure in a League of Its Own
- This summer, Join the League.
- Sean Connery - Allan Quatermain
- Naseeruddin Shah - Captain Nemo
- Peta Wilson - Mina Harker
- Tony Curran - Rodney Skinner (The Invisible Man)
- Stuart Townsend - Dorian Gray
- Shane West - Tom Sawyer
- Jason Flemyng - Dr. Henry Jekyll/Edward Hyde
- Richard Roxburgh - M