The Living Daylights
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The Living Daylights is a 1987 film in which James Bond is aiding a Soviet KGB general defecting to the West - but the general is revealed to be hatching his own plans with an arms dealer in Morocco.
- Directed by John Glen. Written by Richard Maibaum and Michael G. Wilson, based on a short story by Ian Fleming.
The new James Bond... living on the edge. taglines
- That's too bad, Bond. You could've been a live rich man, instead of a poor dead one.
- [at a yacht just off Gibraltar]
- Linda: [into phone] It's all so boring here, Margo - there's nothing but playboys and tennis pros. [sighs] If only I could find a real man.
- [James Bond, having just dispatched an assassin in a burning truck in mid-air, lands on the boat with a smoldering parachute]
- James Bond: I need to use your phone. [into phone] She'll call you back.
- Linda: Who are you?
- Bond: Bond, James Bond. [into phone] Exercise Control, 007 here. I'll report in an hour.
- Linda: [offering drink] Won't you join me?
- Bond: [into phone] Better make that two.
- James Bond: Cheer up, Saunders. The operation's a success. And officially, its still yours.
- Saunders: I have no intention of leaving it at that, 007! I'm reporting to M that you deliberately missed! Your orders were to kill that sniper!
- Bond: Stuff my orders! I only kill professionals. That girl didn't know one end of a rifle from the other. Go ahead, tell M what you want. If he fires me, I'll thank him for it. Whoever she was, it must've scared the living daylights out of her.
- General Georgi Koskov: The sniper was a woman.
- James Bond: I noticed.
- Koskov: Some of the best KGB shots are women.
- Bond: Um-hum.
- Koskov: Did you...
- Bond: I'd rather not talk about it.
- [Bond confronts General Pushkin over Koskov's claims about him reactivating the Smiert Spionam directive]
- Leonid Pushkin: You are professional. You do not kill without reason.
- James Bond: Two of our men are dead. Koskov named you. Now why should I disobey my orders?
- Pushkin: I am in the dark as much as you are. It is a question of trust. Who do you believe? Koskov, or me?
- Bond: If I trusted Koskov we wouldn't be talking. As long as you're alive, we'll never know what he's up to.
- Pushkin: Then I must die.
- [General Pushkin visits arms dealer Brad Whitaker]
- Brad Whitaker: [referring to his life-size statues of famous military commanders] How do you like my personal pantheon of great commanders?
- Leonid Pushkin: Butchers.
- Whitaker: Surgeons. They cut away society's dead flesh.
- [as General Koskov and Necros bring Bond and Kara to Afghanistan]
- General Georgi Koskov: I'm sorry, James. For you I have great affection, but we have an old saying: duty has no sweethearts.
- James Bond: We have an old saying too, Georgi. And you're full of it.
- [Bond and Kara have successfully defeated the guards at a Soviet airbase's brig]
- Kara Milovy: You were fantastic. [embraces Bond] We're free.
- James Bond: Kara, we're inside a Russian airbase in the middle of Afghanistan.
- [Bond and Kara have just escaped the Soviet airbase, and Kamran Shah saves them on the way out. He talks to two men in a different language]
- James Bond: What did you tell them?
- Kamran Shah: I tell them you not Russian. They no kill you now.
- Kara Milovy: Not now? How about later?
- Bond: Don't worry, they'll save you for the hareem.
- [General Pushkin and his men raid Whitaker's house and also capture General Koskov]
- Leonid Pushkin: Put him on the next plane to Moscow...
- General Georgi Koskov: Oh, thank you General, thank you so much...
- Pushkin: ...in the diplomatic bag. [the Soviet troops haul off a startled Koskov]
- The new James Bond... living on the edge.
- The most dangerous Bond. Ever.
- Living on the edge. It's the only way he lives.
- James Bond 007 at his most dangerous in The Living Daylights
- Enigmatic. Dangerous... Always living on the edge.
- Licensed to thrill.
- Timothy Dalton - James Bond
- Maryam d'Abo - Kara Milovy
- Jeroen Krabbé - General Georgi Koskov
- Joe Don Baker - Brad Whitaker
- John Rhys-Davies - General Leonid Pushkin
- Art Malik - Kamran Shah
- Andreas Wisniewski - Necros
- Thomas Wheatley - Saunders
- Desmond Llewelyn - Q
- Robert Brown - M
- Geoffrey Keen - Sir Frederick Gray
- Walter Gotell - General Anatol Gogol
- Caroline Bliss - Miss Moneypenny
- John Terry - Felix Leiter
- The Living Daylights quotes at the Internet Movie Database
- The Living Daylights at Rotten Tomatoes