The Manchurian Candidate (2004 film)
The Manchurian Candidate is a 2004 American thriller film starring Denzel Washington, Meryl Streep and Liev Schreiber based on the 1959 novel of the same name by Richard Condon, and a reimagining of the previous 1962 film.
- Eleanor: I will do whatever is necessary to protect America from anyone who opposes her. I can't... am I the only person in this room who's been reading these NSA reports?
- Healy: I've read them.
- Eleanor: All right, then. You know... you know we are on the brink of another cataclysm, probably nuclear, on our own soil.
- Becket: Oh, Ellie. That's a bit extreme.
- Eleanor: And it's not from random terrorists, but from covert alliances of disaffected nations who've all been made bold by this kind of Jordan one-worlder who believes that human beings are essentially good and that our powers are somehow, I don't know, shameful or evil and never to be used. Make no mistake. The American people are terrified. They know something's coming. They can feel it. And we can either shovel them the same old shit and call is sugar or we can arm them. We can arm them with a young, vibrant Vice President. We can give them heat, energy! Give them a war hero with heart, forged by enemy fire in the desert in the dark when American lives hung on the balance!
- Noyle: Hello, Captain. Do you remember me?
- Detective: When your commanding officer gave us your file, you are the real deal. Special Forces, Rangers, Delta. [saying it with a deep interest]
- Raymond: I served under him. He was a good man.
- Eleanor: Well, that's what the neighbors always say about serial killers.
- Eleanor: Sergeant Shaw.
- Raymond: [abruptly] What...?
- Eleanor: Sergeant Raymond Shaw.
- Raymond: Mother, I...
- Eleanor: Raymond Prentiss Shaw.
- Raymond: Yes.
- Eleanor: Listen.
- Eleanor: Oh, God! Where all the men anymore? My father, Tyler Prentiss, never asked, "Is this okay? Is this okay?" You know what I'm saying, Mark? He just did what needed to be done.
- Raymond: Are we friends, Ben? I want to believe we were friends.
- Ben: We are connected and that's somthing nobody can take from us. You could have me locked up, but you didn't. That's proof that there's something deep inside. There's a part that they can't get to. And it's deep of us. And that's where the truth is.
- Eleanor: The assassin always dies, baby. It's necessary for the national healing.
- Delp: I thought you said you lost this.
- Ben: I bit a guy. I found another one.
- Noyle: [voiceover] Now, when you're rescued and returned with your patrol to command headquarters, what will be among the first of your duties that you'll undertake?
- Ben: I'll recommend Sergeant Shaw for the Medal of Honor, sir. He saved our lives. He terminated the enemy. Led us across the desert to safety.
- Noyle: Excellent. And there were casualties?
- Ben: There's always casualties in war, sir.