The Outsiders (film)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Directed by Francis Ford Coppola. Written by Kathleen Rowell, based on the novel of the same name by S. E. Hinton.
They grew up on the outside of society. They weren't looking for a fight. They were looking to belong.taglines
- I used to talk about killing myself all the time, man. But I don't wanna die now. It ain't long enough. Sixteen years ain't gonna be long enough. Hell, I wouldn't care so much if there hadn't been so many things I haven't done yet. So many, so many damn things I ain't seen or done. That time when we were up in Windrixville was the only time I've ever been away from my neighborhood.
- [his last words, to Ponyboy] Stay gold, Ponyboy. Stay gold.
- [voiceover, in a letter] Ponyboy, I asked the nurse to give you this book so you could finish it. The doctor came in a while ago but I already knew it anyway. I keep getting tireder and tireder. Listen,I don't mind dying now. It was worth it. It was worth saving those kids.Their lives are worth more than mine; they have more to live for. Some of the parents came by to thank me and I know it was worth it. Tell Dally it was worth it. I'm just gonna miss you guys. I've been thinking about it, and that poem, that guy that wrote it, he meant you are gold when you're a kid, like green. When you're a kid everything is new, dawn. It's just...just when you get used to everything it's day. Like the way you dig sunsets, Pony. That's Gold. Keep it that way, it's a good way to be. I want you to tell Dally to look at one. He'll probably think you're crazy, but ask for me. I don't think he's ever really seen a sunset. And don't be bugged over being a greaser. You still have a lot of time to make yourself be what you want. There's still a lot of good in the world. Tell Dally. I don't think he knows. Your Buddy, Johnny.
- Let's do it for Johnny man. We'll do it for Johnny.
- I was crazy, you know that, Pony? I was crazy for wanting Johnny to stay out of trouble. If he was smart, like me, he wouldn't be in this mess. If he was smart like me, he wouldn't have ran into that church man. You better wise up Pony. You better wise up man. You get tough like me and you don't get hurt! You watch out for yourself, and nothing can touch you man!
- You can't win. You know that, don't you? It doesn't matter if you whip us, you'll still be where you were before, at the bottom. And we'll still be the lucky ones at the top with all the breaks. It doesn't matter. Greasers will still be Greasers and Socs will still be Socs. It doesn't matter.
- Darrel: Where the hell have you been? Do you know what time it is? Well, it's 2:00 in the morning, kiddo.
- Sodapop: Hey, Pony, where've ya been?
- Ponyboy: Fell asleep in the lot.
- Darrel: You what?
- Ponyboy: I was talkin' to Johnny and I fell asleep in the lot. I didn't mean to.
- Darrel: Yeah? Hey. I can't even call the cops cause you two would be thrown in a boys' home so fast it would make your head spin.
- Sodapop: C'mon, Pony, let's go to bed now.
- Ponyboy: Look. I said I didn't mean to.
- Darrel: "I didn't mean to, I forgot." That's all I ever HEAR from you!
- Sodapop: Aww, c'mon Darry--
- Darrel: Shut up! I'm sick and tired of you sticking up for him, ya hear me!
- Ponyboy: Don't you yell at him.
- [Darrel shoves Ponyboy across the room, onto the floor. Ponyboy staggers to his feet, then runs out the door]
- Darrel: Ponyboy, I-I didn't mean to.
- Darrel: Listen, with your brains and grades, you could get a scholarship, and we could put you through college, ain't that right, Soda? But you're livin' in a vacuum, Pony, and you're gonna have to cut it out. You just don't stop living because you lose somebody. I thought you knew that. And anytime you don't like the way I'm running things around here, you can just get out, ALL RIGHT?
- Ponyboy: You'd like that, wouldn't you?! You'd like me to just get the hell out! Well it's not that easy, is it, Soda?
- Sodapop: Goddamn, you guys! Leave me out of it!
- Bob: You guys know what Greasers are? White trash with long, greasy hair.
- Ponyboy: You know what a Soc is?
- Bob: What?
- Ponyboy: White trash with mustangs and madras. [spits at Bob]
- Bob: Get him!
- Johnny: It's like the mist is what's pretty, ya know? All gold and silver.
- Ponyboy: Hmm
- Johnny: Too bad it can't stay like that all the time.
- Ponyboy: Nothing gold can stay.
- They grew up on the outside of society. They weren't looking for a fight. They were looking to belong.
- S.E. Hinton's classic novel about youth.
- Matt Dillon - Dallas Winston
- C. Thomas Howell - Ponyboy Curtis
- Rob Lowe - Sodapop Curtis
- Ralph Macchio - Johnny Cade
- Diane Lane - Sherri "Cherry" Valance
- Leif Garrett - Robert "Bob" Sheldon
- Patrick Swayze - Darrel Curtis
- Emilio Estevez - Keith "Two-Bit" Matthews
- Tom Cruise - Steve Randle
- Glenn Withrow - Tim Shepard
- Darren Dalton - Randy Adderson
- Michelle Meyrink - Marcia