The Phantom of the Opera (1925 film)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
A masterpiece of horror that shocked cinema for decades! (taglines)
- Sanctuary of song lovers, The Paris Opera House, rising nobly over medical torture chambers, hidden dungeons, long forgotten.
- A black lake, hidden from man and the sun, leading to the Phantom's rendezvouz.
- Into the midst of the reverly, strode a sprectal figure, robed in red.
- Look not upon my mask — think rather of my devotion which has brought you the gift of song.
- I have brought you here — five cellars underground — because I love you! For long weary months I have awaited this hour! So that which is good within me, aroused by your purity, might plead for your love.
- Men once knew me as Erik, but for many years I have lived in these cellars, a nameless legend.
- [letter to Christine] My dear Christine - You are in no peril as long as you do not touch my mask. You will be free as long as your love for the spirit of Erik overcomes your fear.
- Feast your eyes! Glut your soul on my accursed ugliness!
- Since first I saw your face, this music has been singing to me of you and of — love triumphant! Yet listen — there sounds an ominous undercurrent of warning!
- [as the Red Death] Beneath your dancing feet are the tombs of tortured men! Thus does The Red Death rebuke your merriment!
- You have your chance of saving him. Will you be the bride of Erik, or do you prefer to watch your lover die? If you turn the Scorpion — you have said 'Yes' and spared de Chagny. Turn the grasshopper — and the Opera House is blown to a thousand bits!
- I am human like other men — I will not be cheated of my happiness!
- If you love me as you say, let me go. I promise to be your slave forever.
- He is a monster — a loathsome beast!
- Maid: I have seen only the cloacked figure of a man who hides his face and will not speak!
- Joseph Buquet: His eyes are ghastly beads in which there is no light — like holes in a grinning skull! His face is like leprous parchment, yellow skin strung tight over protruding bones! His nose — there is no nose!
- Phantom: That is where I sleep. It keeps me reminded of that other dreamless sleep that cures all ills — forever!
- Christine: You — You are the Phantom!
- Phantom: If I am the Phantom, it is because man's hatred has made me so. If I shall be saved, it will be because your love redeems me.
- A masterpiece of horror that shocked cinema for decades!
- The greatest horror film of modern cinema!
- Lon Chaney — Erik, The Phantom of the Opera
- Mary Philbin — Christine Daaé
- Norman Kerry — Vicomte Raoul de Chagny
- Arthur Edmund Carewe — Ledoux
- Gibson Gowland — Simon Buquet