The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio is a 2005 film written and directed by Jane Anderson, based on the book by Terry "Tuff" Ryan. The DVD was released on March 14, 2006.
The true story of how a mother raised ten kids on twenty-five words or less. (taglines)
- Evelyn: I don't need you to make me happy. I just need you to leave me alone when I am.
- Evelyn: [singing] My frisk the Frigidaire, clean the cupboard bare sandwich.
- Leo: You know what your problem is?
- Evelyn: No, Dad. I don't.
- Leo: You're too damn happy.
- [Evelyn and the kids laugh]
- Feeney: If you were stranded on an island and could take only one beverage with you, which beverage would you take?
- Evelyn: Orange juice.
- Feeney: Orange juice?
- Evelyn: Yes, orange... to prevent scurvy.
- Evelyn: But my beverage of choice is Dr. Pepper.
- Feeney: [laughs]
- Evelyn: Let's go to bed. I'm tired of this day. I need a new one.
- Evelyn: Do you know that U.S. Army research has shown a relationship between intelligence and willingness to eat unfamiliar foods?
- Evelyn: You know what the worst part is?
- Mrs. Bidlack: What?
- Evelyn: A quart of milk got sucked up inside my girdle.
- Evelyn: He said that I beat 250,000 other entries. And do you know what else? It wasn't even my best one.
- Evelyn: Everything is possible.
- Leo: I wanted to make a nice dinner for the kids.
- Evelyn: Why didn't you feed them?
- Leo: I was crying and didn't want them to see me.
- Evelyn: Why on earth were you crying?
- Leo: I thought you decided to go away and never come back.
- Evelyn: [sighs] For goodness sakes. You know I'd never leave the kids with you.
- Evelyn: Don't be silly. Spices don't have legs. There are no bugs in the soup.
- Leo: This is my last dollar. What if we don't win?
- Evelyn: Well, that is a problem for another day.
- Leo: Do you hate me, Mother?
- Evelyn: I'm still in shock right now. I'll have to let you know.
- Evelyn: [to her daughter, Tuff] You have a wonderful mind and a beautiful heart.
- The true story of how a mother raised ten kids on twenty-five words or less.