The Rite (2011 film)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Directed by Mikael Håfström. Written by Michael Petroni, based on The Rite: The Making of a Modern Exorcist by Matt Baglio.
You can only defeat it when you believe. (taglines)
Father Lucas Trevant
- Be careful Michael, choosing not to believe in the devil doesn't protect you from him.
- The interesting thing about skeptics, atheists, is that we're always looking for proof, certainty. The question is, "what on earth would we do if we found it?" There are times when I experience a total loss of faith. Days, months, when I don't know what I believe in: God, or the devil, Santa Claus, or Tinker Bell. But, I'm just a man. I'm a weak man. I have no power. Yet, there's something that keeps digging and scraping away, inside me. Feel's like God's fingernail. And finally I can take no more of the pain, and I get shoved out from the darkness, back into the light.
- I believe that people prefer to lie to themselves than face the truth.
Father Lucas Trevant
- The terror is real, Michael. It's real. But you'll only defeat it when you believe. So go now, lock me up. Go now. Lock me up!
- Father Xavier: Tell me, Michael, do you believe in sin?
- Michael Kovak: Yeah, I just don't necessarily believe the devil makes us do it.
- Father Xavier: He that committeth sin is of the devil.
- Michael Kovak: Then that'd be all of us, wouldn't it? And if we're all of the devil, how do we fight him?
- Father Xavier: For example, paranoid schizophrenics are not aware that they're deluded.
- Michael Kovak: Neither are the possessed while they're being possessed, are they?
- Father Xavier: But people who are possessed have periods of lucidity. That's my point.
- Michael Kovak: So do schizophrenics.
- Father Xavier: One can't suddenly manifest abilities simply because one is deluded. The man on this tape is German. How does he spontaneously speak Russian?
- Michael Kovak: How could a boy in a village in Africa found 400 miles from his home claim that he was abducted by aliens? It's just as unlikely. But we're willing to call him crazy and your German man not because he believes in aliens, not God.
- Eddie: Wait, wait, wait, wait. Seminary school, really? Wait, is this your way of telling me you're gay?
- [Michael looks angrily at Eddie]
- Eddie: I'm just joking. Okay? Joke.
- Michael Kovak: You don't get it. In my family, you're either a mortician or a priest. That's it.
- Eddie: Well, then change your name!
- Angeline: So you're having a final fling with atheism?
- Michael Kovak: Well, I guess it's more like an ex-girlfriend who keeps coming around.
- Father Lucas Trevant: Faith becomes you. Stay with it. Keep fighting the good fight with all thy might.
- Michael Kovak: Cool.
- Father Lucas Trevant: Get out of here...
- You can only defeat it when you believe.
- Inspired by true events.
- Anthony Hopkins — Father Lucas Trevant
- Colin O'Donoghue — Michael Kovak
- Alice Braga — Angelina Vargas
- Ciarán Hinds — Father Xavier
- Rutger Hauer — Istvan Kovak
- Marta Gastini — Rosaria
- Maria Grazia Cucinotta — Aunt Andria
- Toby Jones — Father Matthew
- Chris Marquette — Eddie
- Marija Karan — Sandra
- Torrey DeVitto — Nina