The Soloist is a 2009 American drama film directed by Joe Wright, and starring Jamie Foxx and Robert Downey Jr. The screenplay by Susannah Grant is based on the book, The Soloist by Steve Lopez. The film is based on a true story of Nathaniel Ayers, a musician who develops schizophrenia and becomes homeless.
|This film article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- I don't give a smooth fart whether or not we go.
- I've never loved anything the way he loves music.
- 'Points West' by Steve Lopez. A year ago, I met a man who was down on his luck and thought I might be able to help him. I don't know that I have. Yes, my friend Mr. Ayers now sleeps inside. He has a key. He has a bed. But his mental state, and his well-being, are as precarious now as they were the day we met. These are people who tell me I've helped them. Mental health experts who say that the simple act of being someone's friend can change his brian chemistry, improve his functioning in the world. I can't speak for Mr. Ayers in that regard. Maybe our friendship has helped him. But maybe not. I can, however, speak for myself. I can tell you that by witnessing Mr. Ayers' courage, his humility, his faith in the power of his art, I've learned the dignity of being loyal to something you believe in. Of holding onto it, above all else. Of believing, without question, that it will carry you home.
- Beauty is art; music is beauty.
- You can't help me.
- Life has a mind of its own
- No one changes anything by playing it safe
- Jamie Foxx - Nathaniel Ayers
- Robert Downey, Jr. - Steve Lopez
- Catherine Kenner as Mary Weston
- Tom Hallander as Graham Claydon
- Lisa Gay Hamilton - Jennifer
- Nelsan Ellis - David Carter
- Rachel Harris - Leslie Bloom
- Stephen Root - Curt Reynolds
- w:Lorraine Toussaint - Flo Ayers
- Justin Martin - Young Nathaniel Ayers
- Octavia Spencer - Troubled Woman
- Jena Malone - Cheery Lab Tech
- Lemon Andersen - Uncle Tommy