The Stanford Prison Experiment (film)
The Stanford Prison Experiment is a 2015 film about twenty-four male students out of seventy-five who are selected to take on randomly assigned roles of prisoners and guards in a mock prison situated in the basement of the Stanford psychology building. The participants adapted to their roles well beyond expectations, as the guards enforced authoritarian measures and ultimately subjected some of the prisoners to psychological torture. Many of the prisoners passively accepted psychological abuse and, at the request of the guards, readily harassed other prisoners who attempted to prevent it.
- Directed by Kyle Patrick Alvarez. Written by Tim Talbott, based on actual events.
|This film article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
Dr. Philip Zimbardo
- This experiment... is over.
Daniel Culp/Prisoner 8612
- You have no right to fuck with my head!
Peter Mitchell/Prisoner 819
- Blow it out your ass, Mr. Correctional Officer!
- It's easy for you to say, 'Oh, I wouldn't have acted that way, but you don't know. That's - that's the truth. You don't know. And now, I know what I'm capable of, and it hurts.
- Jesse Fletcher: You brought me here to legitimize this experiment, and there's nothing legitimate about this place, Phil.
- Dr. Philip Zimbardo: You're right. You're right. I didn't explain it well. Prisons they represent a loss of freedom literally and symbolically.
- Jesse Fletcher: Yeah, but that does not explain why they're wearing dresses. They're wearing dresses, Phil.
- Dr. Philip Zimbardo: Yes, I understand. Uh, we're trying to strip away their individuality. Make them uniform. Feminize them.
- Jesse Fletcher: Feminize them?
- Dr. Philip Zimbardo: Yes. Feminize them. Take away all the things that make them them. You see we're trying to understand how an institution affects an individual's behavior. We're trying to do something... We're trying to do something good.
- Daniel Culp: I know you're a nice guy.
- Christopher Archer: So why do you hate me?
- Daniel Culp: Because I know what you can become.
- Billy Crudup - Dr. Philip Zimbardo
- Michael Angarano - Christopher Archer/"John Wayne" Guard
- Ezra Miller - Daniel Culp/Prisoner 8612
- Tye Sheridan - Peter Mitchell/Prisoner 819
- Thomas Mann - Prisoner 416
- Miles Heizer - Marshal Lovett
- Keir Gilchrist - John Lovett
- Johnny Simmons - Jeff Jansen
- Moises Arias - Anthony Caroll
- Olivia Thirlby - Christina Maslach
- Nelsan Ellis - Jesse Fletcher
- James Wolk - Mike Pennyl
- Gaius Charles - Paul Vogel
- Logan Miller - Jerry
- James Frecheville - Townshend
- Ki Hong Lee - Gavin Chan
- Matt Bennett - Kyle Parker
- Jack Kilmer - Jim
- Nicholas Braun - Karl Vandy
- Brett Davern - Hubbie Whitlow
- Jesse Carere - Paul