The Stepford Wives (1975 film)
The Stepford Wives is a 1975 sci-fi-horror/thriller film about a woman who has come to the quaint little town of Stepford, Connecticut with her family, but soon discovers there lies a sinister truth in the all too perfect behavior of the female residents. The film was remade in 2004 under the same name, but was written as a comedy vs. a serious horror/thriller film.
- Directed by Bryan Forbes. Written by William Goldman, based on the 1972 Ira Levin novel of the same name.
- If I am wrong, I'm insane... but if I'm right, it's even worse than if I was wrong.
- I can't just call him up and say, "I used be called Joanna Ingalls. You deflowered me ten years ago. Would you test my water?"
- If I were to apologize for every time I got smashed, I'd spend my life wandering around saying "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, sorry".
- I'm also an ex-Gothamite, who's been living here in Ajax country for just over a month now, and I'm going crazy. You see doctor, my problem is that given complete freedom of choice, I don't WANT to squeeze the goddamn Charmin!
- I just don't get it. It's like there's this contest, okay? And the housewife with the cleanest house gets Robert Redford for Christmas... but nobody will tell the rules!
- [after being stabbed] Joanna! How could you do a thing like that? When I was just going to give you coffee! When I was just going to give you coffee! How could you do a thing like that? I thought we were friends! I thought we were friends... I thought we were friends...
- Joanna: Why do they call you Diz?
- Dale: I used to work in Disneyland.
- Joanna: No, really!
- Dale: No. Really.
- Joanna: I don't believe you.
- Dale: Why not?
- Joanna: You don't seem to be the kind of person that likes to make other people happy.
- Joanna: [about the men's group] What do they do there?
- Bobbie: Who knows? Sit around and reminisce about The Good Ol' Days.
- Joanna: What were The Good Ol' Days?
- Bobbie: Back when Playboy still used the airbrush!
- Mary Ann: [about forming a women's group] I'm sorry. I just can waste my spare moments on something like that.
- Joanna: But you do go out sometimes don't you?
- Mary Ann: Go out? Of course I go out. I'm out now, aren't I?
- Joanna: It'll happen to me before then. When you come back, there will be a woman with my name and my face, she'll cook and clean like crazy, but she won't take pictures and she won't be me! She'll be... like the robots at Disneyland.
- Dr. Fancher: Here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to give you a prescription that you get filled, then you get your children and GET THE HELL OUT! Don't tell your husband, don't tell anybody, just get in your car and drive somewhere you feel safe.
- Something strange is happening in the town of Stepford.
- A very modern suspense story from the author of Rosemary's Baby.
- Something strange is happening in the town of Stepford. Where the men spend their nights doing something secret. And every woman acts like every man's dream of the "perfect" wife. Where a young woman watches the dream become a nightmare. And sees the nightmare engulf her best friend. And realizes that any moment, any second - her turn is coming.
- Katharine Ross - Joanna Eberhart
- Paula Prentiss - Bobbie Markowe
- Peter Masterson - Walter Eberhart
- Nanette Newman - Carol Van Sant
- Tina Louise - Charmaine Wimpiris
- Carol Eve Rossen - Dr. Fancher
- William Prince - Ike Mazzard
- Carole Mallory - Kit Sunderson
- Toni Reid - Marie Axhelm
- Judith Baldwin - Patricia Cornell
- Barbara Rucker - Mary Ann Stravros
- George Coe - Claude Axhelm
- Franklin Cover - Ed Wimpiris
- Robert Fields - Raymond Chandler
- Michael Higgins - Mr. Cornell