The Sun (United Kingdom)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
From 1969, the paper has gained a reputation for colourful, if sometimes controversial, headlines.
- GOTCHA! - After the sinking of the Argentinian Ship Belgrano
- Headline in early editions of 4 May 1982, referring to the sinking of the General Belgrano during the Falklands War.
- STICK IT UP YOUR JUNTA
- On going to war with Argentina (1982).
- FREDDIE STARR ATE MY HAMSTER - Allegations about comedian Freddie Starr
- Headline (13 March 1986).
- IT'S WALL OVER
- The fall of the Berlin Wall (10 November 1989).
- THE TRUTH
- MRS T-EARS
- On Margaret Thatcher's resignation
- IF KINNOCK WINS TODAY WILL THE LAST PERSON IN BRITAIN PLEASE TURN OUT THE LIGHTS
- IT WAS THE SUN WOT WON IT
- Claim after John Major's victory (1992).
- UP YOURS DELORS
- On President of the European Commission Jacques Delors.
- YANKS 2 PLANKS 0!
- THAT'S YER ALLOTMENT
- DINIZ IN THE OVEN
- After Pedro Diniz's car caught fire during the Grand Prix of Argentina (1996).
- QUEEN HAS A RUBBER DUCK AND IT WEARS A CROWN
- ZIP ME UP BEFORE YOU GO GO
- After George Michael was arrested in a public toilet
- SPLIFF CLUB SEVEN
- CLOBBA SLOBBA: OUR BOYS BATTER BUTCHER OF SERBIA IN NATO BLITZ
- Bombing Yugoslavia.
- IS THIS THE MOST DANGEROUS MAN IN BRITAIN
- Questioning Tony Blair's views on Europe (24 June 1998).
- IS THIS THE MOST DANGEROUS MAN IN EUROPE
- Questioning Oskar Lafontaine's views, during the Euro debate (25 November 1998).
- NAIL THE BASTARD
- After the body of Sarah Payne was found.
- BONKERS BRUNO LOCKED UP
- Unpopular headline after Frank Bruno entered hospital with mental health problems.
- UP YOURS SEÑORS
- CHIRAC EST UN VER
- SHIP SHIP HOORAY
- After the suicide of Harold Shipman (January 2004).
- FROM HITLER YOUTH TO PAPA RATZI
- TYRANT'S IN HIS PANTS
- After publishing pictures of Saddam Hussein in his underpants (20 May 2005).
- ONE DOWN THREE TO GO
- On the death of 27 year old Brazilian man Jean Charles de Menezes (23 July 2005).
- KILL AN ARGIE WIN A METRO
- Spoof Private Eye headline during the Falklands war
- SCOTT OF PANTARTICA
- From the film Notting Hill, when nude pictures of actress Anna Scott are found
Quotes about The Sun
- Sun readers don't care who runs the country as long as she's got big tits.
- Yes, Prime Minister, Series 2 ep. 4: