The Thin Man (film)
The Thin Man is a 1934 comedic detective film, based on the novel of the same name by Dashiell Hammett, about Nick and Nora Charles, a hard-drinking and flirtatious married couple who banter wittily as they solve a murder case. It was followed by five sequels.
- The important thing is the rhythm. Always have rhythm in your shaking. Now a Manhattan you shake to foxtrot time, a Bronx to two-step time, but a dry martini you always shake to waltz time.
- [Threatened by a man with a gun] Hey, would you mind putting that gun away? My wife doesn't care, but I'm a very timid fellow... All right, shoot. I mean, uh, what's on your mind?
- The murderer is right in this room. Sitting at this table. You may serve the fish.
- Waiter, will you serve the nuts? ...I mean, will you serve the guests the nuts?
- The next person who says "Merry Christmas" to me, I'll kill 'em.
- Oh Nicky, I love you because you know such lovely people.
- Marion: I don't like crooks. And if I did like 'em, I wouldn't like crooks that are stool pigeons. And if I did like crooks that are stool pigeons, I still wouldn't like you!
- Nick: Now how did you ever remember me?
- Dorothy: Oh, you used to fascinate me. A real live detective. You used to tell me the most wonderful stories. Were they true?
- Nick: Probably not.
- Nick: I'm a hero. I was shot twice in the Tribune.
- Nora: I read where you were shot five times in the tabloids.
- Nick: It's not true. He didn't come anywhere near my tabloids.
- Nora: All right! Go ahead! Go on! See if I care! But I thinks it's a dirty trick to bring me all the way to New York just to make a widow of me.
- Nick: You wouldn't be a widow long...
- Nora: You bet I wouldn't!
- Nick: ...Not with all your money.
- Nick: How'd you like Grant's Tomb?
- Nora: It's lovely. I'm having a copy made for you.
- Nora: Pretty girl.
- Nick: Yes. She's a nice type.
- Nora: You've got types?
- Nick: Only you, darling, lanky brunettes with wicked jaws.
- Nora: You know, that sounds like an interesting case. Why don't you take it?
- Nick: I haven't time. I'm much to busy seeing that you don't lose any of the money I married you for.
- Nora:Take care of yourself.
- Nick: Why, sure I will.
- Nora: Don't say it like that! Say it as if you mean it!
- Nick: Well, I do believe the little woman cares.
- Nora: I don't care! It's just that I'm used to you, that's all.
- Nora: Nick? Nicky?
- Nick: What?
- Nora: You asleep?
- Nick: Yes!
- Nora: Good. I want to talk to you.
- Nora: What hit me?
- Nick: The last martini.
- Nora: Do you want a drink?
- Nick: What do you think?
- Nora: How do you feel?
- Nick: Terrible. I must have gone to bed sober.
- Reporter: Say, listen, is he working on a case?
- Nora: Yes, he is.
- Reporter: What case?
- Nora: A case of scotch. Pitch in and help him.
- Reporter: Well, can't you tell us anything about the case?
- Nick: Yes, it's putting me way behind in my drinking.
- William Powell - Nick Charles
- Myrna Loy - Nora Charles
- Maureen O'Sullivan - Dorothy
- Nat Pendleton - Lt. Guild
- Minna Gombell - Mimi
- Porter Hall - MacCaulay