The Tourist is a 2010 thriller film directed by Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck, starring Angelina Jolie and Johnny Depp. The story follows a mysterious beauty who meets an American tourist and drags him into a dangerous world of intrigue and espionage while traveling through Europe.
- Why is everyone trying to kill me?!
- (Alexander's letter to Elise) Elise, you have no reason to trust me anymore, but give me a chance to explain myself. I know the police are watching you. We have to throw them off the trail. Board the eight-twenty-two, the Gare de Lyon. Pick someone my height and build and make them believe it is me. Burn this letter. It is important you follow my instructions precisely. I love you, Alexander.
- (to Elise) Would you rather have me smoking for real?
- (to Elise) You are the least down to earth person I've ever met.
- I'm involved in something here and no offense, this is not a local issue.
- What made Pearce think he could take on a guy like that? (Shaw)
- (about Frank to Shaw) This man is a tourist!
- (to Frank) I would rather you be a man who did exactly as he pleased.
- (to Frank) So, what are you doing all alone in the city of lovers? Is there no one in your life?
- (about Alexander) He's someone who used to be very important to me.
- (about Shaw) Once he bragged to Alexander that he had every man killed his wife had slept with before she met him. When he found out how many there had been, he killed her too.
Chief Inspector Jones
- Alexander Pearce has a new face.
- Alexander Pearce has $744,000,000 in illegal assets. That given he is a British subject we might seize. This operation so far has cost me $8,000,000.
- (to his henchmen) You know he will be with her. They'll be staying at one of the grand hotels. The Gritti, the Regina, the Danieli. I want you to keep a watch on all of them. You can kill the girl, but you can't kill him. Not until I have my money that is.
- (contemplative) You know I worked very hard for years so I wouldn't have to do the dirty work any more. No more chasing traitors, no more killing. Now I employ people to do those things for me.
- (about his suit) Does it look alright?
- (to Frank, very seriously) The man you are talking about is called Alexander Pearce. He stole big money from a gangster. They've come to Venice to find him and they think you are him.
Elise Clifton-Ward: I'm Elise.
Frank Tupelo: I'm Frank.
Elise: That's a terrible name.
Frank: [shrugs] It's the only one I've got.
Elise: Maybe we can find you another.
Elise: Invite me to dinner, Frank?
Elise: [gives him a look]
Frank: Would you like to have dinner?
Elise: Women don't like questions.
Frank: Join me for dinner.
Elise: Too demanding.
Frank: Join me for dinner?
Elise: Another question.
Frank: [thinks for a moment] I'm having dinner, if you'd care to join me.
Elise: [smiles at him]
Frank: You're ravenous.
Elise: Do you mean ravishing?
Frank: I do.
Elise: You look ravenous.
Frank: I do.
Frank: [On the phone] Hello? I - I need help. There are two men trying to break down the door!
Hotel Manager: What kind of problem do you have with the door, sir?
Frank: No, no, no, there are two men with guns trying to break in! [Shots fired] Uh, gotta go!
Hotel Manager: Buongiorno, signor.
Frank: BON JOVI!
Policeman: You wish to report a murder?
Frank: Attempted murder.
Policeman: That's not so serious.
Frank: Not when you downgrade it from murder. But when you upgrade it from room service, it's quite serious.
Elise: Twenty million dollars worth of plastic surgery. And that's the face you choose.
Frank: You don't like it?
Elise: It will do.
Reginald Shaw: Alexander, is it you? Truly?
Reginald Shaw: Show me your teeth. [frank opens his mouth, only showing his teeth] Alexander has crooked teeth. Stained from excessive smoking.
Frank: Braces and electronic cigarettes.
Reginald Shaw: He has a high forehead.
Frank: I had a migraine for two weeks after the remodel.
Reginald Shaw: You sound different.
Frank: Voice chip implant.
Reginald Shaw: No, no. I mean the way you speak.
Elise: Yes, that's right. Alexander was English. This man is American.
Frank: (with a slight British accent) I've actually gotten so used to the American accent, I find it a tad difficult to go back.
Elise: (almost scoffing): That's pathetic. This man is not Alexander Pearce! He's a tourist.
Reginald Shaw: A tourist?
Elise: Someone I happen to sit next to on a train.
Frank: (pointedly) How would a tourist know that you kill every man your wife has ever slept with?
Elise: I told him that.
Reginald Shaw: [to Elise] You... told a tourist?
Frank: Why would she do that? It's absurd.
- Johnny Depp as Frank Tupelo
- Angelina Jolie as Elise Clifton-Ward
- Paul Bettany as Inspector John Acheson
- Timothy Dalton as Chief Inspector Jones
- Steven Berkoff as Reginald Shaw