The Way We Were
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Everything seemed so important then .. even love! (taglines)
- [To Katie] You hold on and I don't know how. And I wish I did. Maybe you were born committed... I can't get negative enough. I can't get angry enough. And I can't get positive enough.
- When you love someone, from Roosevelt to me, you go deaf, dumb and blind.
- The trouble with some people is they work too hard.
- What kind of pie?
- [when Katie doesn't want to go to a party with Hubbell's friends] Maybe something terrible will happen - maybe you'll have a good time.
- [Katie proposes chucking politics in order to save their marriage] You're unhappy unless you do something. Because of me, you're trying to lay out, but that's wrong... wrong for you. Commitment is part of you. Part of what makes you attractive, part of what attracted me to you.
- You think you're easy? Compared to what, the Hundred Years' War?
Katie Morosky Gardiner
- Your girl is lovely, Hubbell.
- Happy Rosh Hashana.
- Hubbell: [discussing advocacy for political causes] I don't see how you can do it.
- Katie: And I don't see how you can't.
- Katie: You'll never find anyone as good for you as I am, to believe in you as much as I do or love you as much!
- Hubbell: I know that.
- Katie: Well then, why?
- Katie: I don't have the right style for you, do I?
- Hubbell: No, you don't have the right style.
- Katie: I'll change.
- Hubbell: No, don't change, you're your own girl, you have your own style.
- Katie: But then I won't have you. Why can't I have you?
- Hubbell: Because you push too hard, every damn minute. There's no time to ever relax and enjoy living. Everything's too serious to be so serious.
- Katie: If I push too hard it's because I want things to be better, I want us to be better, I want you to be better. Sure I make waves you have I mean you have to. And I'll keep making them till you're everything you should be and will be. You'll never find anyone as good for you as I am, to believe in you as much as I do, or to love you as much.
- Hubbell: I know that.
- Katie: Well, then why?
- Hubbell: Do you think if I come back it's going to be okay by magic? What's going to change? What's going to be different? We'll both be wrong. We'll both lose.
- Katie: Couldn't we both win?
- Katie: Wouldn't it be wonderful if we were old? Then we could say we survived all this. Everything thing would be uncomplicated, the way it was when we were young?
- Hubbell: Katie, it was never uncomplicated.
- Hubbell: A... two cheese burgers and four cokes.
- Katie: Onion?
- Hubbell: Yeah, in the cokes.
- Hubbell: You never give up, do you?
- Katie: Only when I'm absolutely forced to. But I'm a very good loser...
- Hubbell: Better than I am.
- Katie: Well, I've had... more practice.
- Hubbell: I’m telling you that people—people are more important than any goddamn witch hunt. You and me! Not causes. Not principles.
- Katie: Hubbell, people are their principles.
- Everything seemed so important then .. even love!
- Some memories last forever.
- Streisand and Redford together!