The Wizard of Oz (1939 film)
(Redirected from The Wizard of Oz)Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Directed by Victor Fleming. Written by Noel Langley, Florence Ryerson, and Edgar Allan Woolf, based on the novel The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum. Music by Harold Arlen, Lyrics by Yip Harburg.
The Greatest Picture in the History of Entertainment Taglines
- Someplace where there isn't any trouble... [tossing a piece of her cruller to Toto] ...do you suppose there is such a place, Toto? There must be. It's not a place you can get to by a boat or train. It's far, far away... behind the moon... beyond the rain.
[singing] Somewhere, over the rainbow, way up high,
There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
Somewhere, over the rainbow, skies are blue,
And the dreams that you dare to dream really do come true.
- Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore. We must be over the rainbow!
- [Note: This line is ranked #4 in the American Film Institute's list of the top 100 movie quotations in American cinema].
- Well, I... I think that it... that it wasn't enough to just want to see Uncle Henry and Auntie Em... and it's that if I ever go looking for my heart's desire again, I won't look any further than my own backyard; because if it isn't there, I never really lost it to begin with.
- There's no place like home; there's no place like home; there's no place like home...
- [Note: This line is ranked #23 in the American Film Institute's list of the top 100 movie quotations in American cinema].
- [last lines] Oh, but anyway, Toto, we're home – home! And this is my room – and you're all here – and I'm not going to leave here ever, ever again, because I love you all! And... oh, Auntie Em, there's no place like home!
- Why, if I had a brain I could...
[singing] I could while away the hours,
Conferrin' with the flowers,
Consultin' with the rain.
And my head I'd be scratchin'
While my thoughts were busy hatchin'
If I only had a brain.
- [singing] When a man's an empty kettle,
He should be on his mettle,
And yet I'm torn apart.
Just because I'm presumin'
That I could be kinda human
If I only had a heart.
- [singing] Yeah, it's sad, believe me, Missy,
When you're born to be a sissy,
Without the vim and verve.
But I could show my prowess,
Be a lion, not a "mowess,"
If I only had the nerve.
- Courage! What makes a King out of a slave? Courage! What makes the flag on the mast to wave? Courage! What makes the elephant charge his tusk in the misty mist, or the dusky dusk? What makes the muskrat guard his musk? Courage! What makes the Sphinx the Seventh Wonder? Courage! What makes the dawn come up like thunder? Courage! What makes the Hottentot so hot? What puts the ape in ape-ricot? What have they got that I ain't got? (Courage) You can say that again!
- Read what my medal says. Courage! Ain't it the truth, ain't it the truth!
Wicked Witch of the West
- [to Glinda] Very well – I'll bide my time. [to Dorothy] And as for you, my fine lady, it's true I can't attend to you here and now as I'd like; but just try to stay out of my way – just try! I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog too! [With a burst of laughter, she whirls around and vanishes in a burst of smoke and fire and a clap of thunder.]
- [Note: Bolded line is ranked #99 in the American Film Institute's list of the top 100 movie quotations in American cinema].
- [last words; screams shrilly] You cursed brat! Look what you've done! [melts] I'm melting! Melting! Oh, what a world! What a world! Who would have thought a good little girl like you could destroy my beautiful wickedness?! Ohhh! Look out! Look out! I'm going! Ohhhh – Ohhhhhhhhhh!
- I AM OZ.... the Great and Powerful!
Who are you?
- Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain! The Great Oz has spoken!
- Why, anybody can have a brain. That's a very mediocre commodity. Every pusillanimous creature that crawls on the Earth or slinks through slimy seas has a brain. Back where I come from, we have universities, seats of great learning, where men go to become great thinkers. And when they come out, they think deep thoughts and with no more brains than you have. But they have one thing you haven't got: a diploma.
- [to the Tin Man] A heart is not judged by how much you love; but by how much you are loved by others.
- [to the Lion] You, my friend, are a victim of disorganized thinking. You are under the unfortunate impression that just because you run away you have no courage; you're confusing courage with wisdom.
- [to Dorothy] Are you a good witch or a bad witch?
- Only bad witches are ugly.
- [to the Wicked Witch of the West] You have no power here! Begone, before somebody drops a house on you too!
- You always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself.
- Ding Dong, the witch is dead,
Which old witch?
The wicked witch.
Ding Dong, the wicked witch is dead!
- You're off to see the Wizard,
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.
You'll find he is a whiz of a Wiz
If ever a Wiz there was.
If ever, oh ever, a Wiz there was
The Wizard of Oz is one because
Because, because, because, because, because...
Because of the wonderful things he does.
- [about Toto] He's really gentle... with gentle people, that is.
- Almira Gulch! Just because you own half the county doesn't mean that you have the power to run the rest of us. For 23 years, I've been dying to tell you what I thought of you, and now... well, being a Christian woman, I can't say it!
- Miss Gulch: Mr. Gale?
- Uncle Henry: Howdy, Miss Gulch.
- Miss Gulch: I want to see you and your wife right away about Dorothy.
- Uncle Henry: Dorothy? Well, what has Dorothy done?
- Miss Gulch: What she's done? I'm all but lame from the bite on my leg!
- Uncle Henry: You mean she bit you?
- Miss Gulch: No, her dog.
- Uncle Henry: Oh. She bit her dog, eh?
- Miss Gulch: ...NO!
- Glinda: Keep tight inside of them. Their magic must be very powerful, or she wouldn't want them so badly.
- Wicked Witch: You stay out of this, Glinda, or I'll fix you as well!
- Glinda: Hohohoho, Rubbish, you have no power here, be gone, before someone drops a house on you too!
- Scarecrow: That's the trouble, I can't make up my mind. I haven't got a brain... only straw.
- Dorothy: How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
- Scarecrow: I don't know....but some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't they?
- Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.
- Dorothy: Do – do you suppose we'll meet any wild animals?
- Tin Man: We might.
- Dorothy: Oh!
- Scarecrow: Animals that – that eat straw?
- Tin Man: Uh, some. But mostly lions and tigers and bears.
- Dorothy: Lions?
- Scarecrow: And tigers?
- Tin Man: [nodding] And bears.
- Dorothy: Oh! Lions and tigers and bears. Oh my!
- Dorothy: [noticing the horse drawing their carriage is one of changing colors] What kind of a horse is that? I've never seen a horse like that before!
- Coachman: No, and never will again, I fancy! There's only one of him, and he's it. He's the Horse of a Different Color you've heard tell about!
- Captain of the Winkie Guard: [After looking at the remains of the Wicked Witch of the West] She's dead! You killed her!
- Dorothy: I didn't mean to kill her. It's just the scarecrow was on fire.
- Captain of the Winkie Guard: HAIL TO DOROTHY, THE WICKED WITCH IS DEAD!!!
- Winkie Guards: HAIL TO DOROTHY, THE WICKED WITCH IS DEAD!!!
- Wizard of Oz: As for you, my galvanized friend, you want a heart. You don't know how lucky you are not to have one. Hearts will never be practical until they can be made unbreakable.
- Tin Man: But I still want one.
- Dorothy: Goodbye, Tin Man. Oh, don't cry! You'll rust so dreadfully. Here's your oil can.
- Tin Man: Oh, thank you. Now I know I've got a heart, 'cause it's breaking... And it's saying Thank you, Dorothy.
- Dorothy: Goodbye, Lion. I know it isn't right, but I'm going to miss the way you used to holler for help before you found your courage.
- Cowardly Lion: Oh, thank you. I never would've found it if it hadn't been for you...
- Dorothy: [to Scarecrow] I think I'm going to miss you most of all.
- The Greatest Picture In The History Of Entertainment!
- Gaiety! Glory! Glamour!
- Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer's Technicolor Triumph!
- Biggest Screen Sensation Since "Snow White"!
- The Mighty Miracle Show That Is The Talk Of America!
- Amazing Sights To See ! The Tornado . . . Munchkinland . . . Horse Of A Different Color . . . Startling Balloon Ascent . . . Flying Monkeys . . . Trees That Talk And Throw Apples.
- Mighty Miracle Show Of 1000 Delights!
Quotes about The Wizard of Oz
- It's a wonderful universal story. I mean you look at the Wizard of Oz — it takes a reality which is the beginning of the movie, and turns it into a mythology. … You know all great story telling is a form of myth.
- I would watch Wizard of Oz, like every day, when I was two. I had a hard time understanding that I couldn't go into the film, because it felt so real to me.
- Zooey Deschanel, These Amazing Shadows (2011)
- Judy Garland - Dorothy Gale
- Frank Morgan - Professor Marvel/Emerald City Doorman/Coachman/The Wizard's Guard/The Wizard
- Ray Bolger - Hunk/The Scarecrow
- Bert Lahr - Zeke/The Cowardly Lion
- Jack Haley - Hickory/The Tin Man
- Billie Burke - Glinda
- Margaret Hamilton - Miss Almira Gulch/The Wicked Witch of the West
- Charley Grapewin - Uncle Henry
- Pat Walshe - Nikko, the Wicked Witch's Head Winged Monkey
- Clara Blandick - Aunt Em
- Terry (credited as Toto) - Toto the Dog