The Wrong Trousers
The Wrong Trousers is a 1993 British stop-motion animated short film directed by Nick Park at Aardman Animations, featuring his characters Wallace and Gromit. It is the second film featuring the eccentric inventor Wallace (voiced by Peter Sallis) and his dog Gromit, following A Grand Day Out (1989). In the film, a villainous penguin uses Wallace and Gromit's robot "Techno Trousers" to take a diamond.
The Wrong Trousers premiered in the United States on December 17, 1993, and the United Kingdom on December 26, 1993. It was commercially successful and won the 1993 Academy Award for Best Animated Short Film. It also inspired a charity fundraising day, known as "Wrong Trousers Day", one of several events. A sequel, A Close Shave, was released in 1995.
- Directed by Nick Park. Produced by Christopher Moll. Written by Nick Park, Bob Baker and Brian Sibley.
- Wallace: [to Gromit, who has been scared by the birthday present he has received; what looks like the lower half of a man] I think you'll find this present a valuable addition to our modern lifestyle. [he unwraps the present, revealing it to be a robotic construct: two legs, two feet and a waist] They're techno-trousers, ex-NASA. Fantastic for walkies!
- Wallace: [of the trapdoor that slid him out of bed onto the kitchen chair in the morning] Well, that went as well as could be expected, didn't it, right? Though I might have to make a small adjustment to the drop. A touch painful on re-entry.
- [Wallace has fallen into the techno-trousers and, thanks to Feathers McGraw controlling them, sent Wallace rampaging about town before returning him home to bed, tired]
- Wallace: Oh, I'm tired. A good doze, that's all I need. Get me strength back. What a--What a shocking calam--calam--calamity--[falls asleep, snoring]
- Wallace: [upon falling into the techno-trousers in the morning] It's the wrong trousers! The wrong trousers! [he sees the controls on the front of the trousers missing] What have you done with the controls, Gromit?
- Wallace: Woah! It's The Wrong Trousers, Gromit, and they've gone wrong! Stop them, Gromit! Stop them! Help me! Gr-Gromit! The Trousers've gone Haywire! Get me out!!! Help!!!!!
- Wallace: [as he goes flying around the room] Hang in there, Gromit! Everything's under control!
- [last lines]
- Wallace: Ha, all's well that ends well. That's what I say. Ooh, I do like a bit of gorgonzola!
- From the Oscar-winning creators of Creature Comforts and A Grand Day Out.
- Winner of the 1993 Academy Award for Best Animated Short.
- From the creators of Chicken Run.