The Year Without a Santa Claus
The Year Without a Santa Claus is a 1974 Christmas stop motion animated television special produced by Rankin/Bass Productions in which a weary and discouraged Santa Claus considers skipping his Christmas Eve run one year, and Mrs. Claus and his Elves set out to change his mind. The story is based on Phyllis McGinley's 1956 book of the same name, illustrated by Kurt Werth. It was originally broadcast on December 10, 1974 on ABC.
- Dr. Bobbin: And for what? Just to deliver presents to a bunch of folks who don't give a hoot in the first place.
- Mrs. Claus: Now, now, Doctor, it's not just presents and you know it. What about all that Christmas spirit and good will?
- Dr. Bobbin: If you had any sense, you'd give it up as a bad job and stay home in bed this year.
- Mrs. C: Oh come now, if Santa stayed home, why there would be no Christmas.
- Dr. Bobbin: Who cares? Nobody cares about Christmas anymore.
- Santa Claus: They don't?
- Dr. Bobbin: Of course not. Wouldn't surprise me none if nobody even believed in you anymore.
- Mrs. C: Now Santa, don't you pay him any mind.
- Dr. Bobbin: Nobody cares a hoot and a holler for you or Christmas. Oh, by the way, Merry Christmas to you.
- Santa: I have to go, why those three won't even get past the Miser brothers before–
- Mrs. C: The Miser Brothers!! Oh dear. Oh, I forgot all about those 2.
- Santa Claus: Of all the fool things for them to do… Why, if Snow Miser doesn't freeze 'em, just for the fun of it, his devil of a brother will put the heat on 'em for sure.
- Snow Miser's Men: [singing] He's Mister White Christmas, he's Mr. Snow.
- Snow Miser: That's right!
- Snow Miser's Men: He's Mr. Icicle, he's Mr. 10 below (-10).
- Snow Miser: [singing] Friends call me Snow Miser, whatever I touch turns to snow in my clutch.
I'm too much.
- Heat Miser's Men: [singing] He's Mister Green Christmas.
He's Mr. Sun.
He's Mr. Heat Blister.
He's Mr. 101.
- Heat Miser: [singing] They call me Heat Miser.
Whatever I touch starts to melt in my clutch.
I'm too much.
- Mrs. C: Would you mind doing us a favor?
- Heat Miser: I don't see why I should. No one ever does anything for me. What is it?
- Mrs. C: Could you let it snow, just for one day, in the south?
- Heat Miser: What, snow in the south!?
- Mrs. C: Just for 1 day?
- Heat Miser: Never! [thinks for a few seconds] Uh, hmm... unless... Unless there was... you know... something in it for me?
- Mrs. C: Like what?
- Shirley Booth - Mrs. Claus
- Mickey Rooney - Santa Claus
- Dick Shawn - Snow Miser
- George S. Irving - Heat Miser
- Bob McFadden - Jingle Bells, Additional Voices
- Bradley Bolke - Jangle Bells, Policeman
- Rhoda Mann - Mother Nature
- Ron Marshall - Mr. Thistlewhite, Mayor
- Colin Duffy - Ignatius "Iggy" Thistlewhite
- Christine Winter - The Blue Christmas Girl
- The Wee Winter Singers - The Children Choir