Jump to navigation Jump to search
|This People article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- My object will be, if possible, to form Christian men, for Christian boys I can scarcely hope to make.
- Letter accepting appointment as headmaster of Rugby; in Concise Oxford Dictionary of Quotations
- Real knowledge, like every thing else of the highest value, is not to be obtained easily. It must be worked for, — studied for, — thought for, — and, more than all, it must be prayed for.
- Quotes reported in Josiah Hotchkiss Gilbert, Dictionary of Burning Words of Brilliant Writers (1895). p. 364.
- As of rioting, the old Roman way of dealing with that is always the right one; flog the rank and file, and fling the ring-leaders from the Tarpeian rock.
- Quoted by Matthew Arnold, Cornhill Magazine, August 1868
- The distinction between Christianity and all other systems of religion consists largely in this, that in these other, men are found seeking after God, while Christianity is God seeking after man.
- Reported in Josiah Hotchkiss Gilbert, Dictionary of Burning Words of Brilliant Writers (1895), p. 133.