Tristan & Isolde (film)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Tristan & Isolde is 2006 film retelling the medieval romantic legend of Tristan and Iseult, two star-crossed lovers. In particular, its plot is borrowed from Richard Wagner's opera, Tristan und Isolde.
- Directed by Kevin Reynolds. Written by Dean Georgaris.
Before there was Romeo and Juliet... There was Tristan and Isolde.(taglines)
- Hello. [Tristan slowly turns to look at her.] You've been sleeping a long time. You're in Ireland. Did you know that? Shh... It's alright. You're safe here. No one knows. Don't be scared. Just sleep... sleep. [Tristan fades out of consciousness.]
- I want to know if there's more to this life and I can't know that if they kill you!
- [Tristan dies. Isolde is thinking of the time back in Ireland] My face in thine eyes, thine in mine appers. And true plain hearts do in the faces rest. Where can you find two better hemispheres, without sharp north, without declining west. Whatever dies was not mixed equally. If our two loves be one or thou and I love so alike that none can slacken, none can die. (John Donne, The Good Morrow)
- Why long for things if they're not meant to be ours?
- Marke delivered me from that place when I was a boy. You ran. So you can understand that when I think of Kings I think of him. When I think of cowards...
- You were right. I don't know if life is better than death. But love was more than either.
- [Isolde and Marke retire to their bedroom. Tristan watches their window from outside.] You're trembling. You are far from home and I am a stranger still. But you mustn't fear me. My wish is to make you happy, as a wife.. as a woman and hopefully one day, the fact that I am not whole will not offend you. [Marke kisses Isolde and makes love to her.]
- Will you always be little men, Who could not see what once was... And could be again.
- Isolde: How many did you love before me?
- Tristan: None.
- Isolde: And after me?
- Tristan: None.
- [Tristan and Isolde look out to sea.]
- Tristan: You're promised?
- Isolde: Yes.
- Tristan: What’s he like?
- Isolde: Dark. Tall. Nearly twice your size. An absolute gentleman.
- Tristan: I thought... earlier when you spoke of wanting something you can’t have.
- Isolde: I didn’t know what I was talking about.
- [They leave the shore and go inside the hut, Isolde is crying.]
- Isolde: Outside, just past that bluff there is a boat. That’s how you should go when you leave. You should go soon.
- [Isolde leaves but Tristan goes after her. They kiss. Inside the hut they make love.]
- Tristan: How do you feel?
- Isolde: I don’t know.
- [After Isolde's wedding to Marke, as the married couple leave the party, Isolde approaches Tristan]
- Isolde: If things were different. If we lived in a place without duty... would you be with me?
- Tristan: That place does not exist.
- Isolde: I'll pretend it's you.
- [Marke and Isolde stand outside the keep surveying the town. Marke fingers her shell bracelet.]
- Marke: That’s pretty. Did you make it?
- Isolde: It was a present.
- Before Romeo and Juliet... There was Tristan and Isolde.