Umineko no Naku Koro ni
Umineko no Naku Koro ni (うみねこのなく頃に lit. When the Seagulls Cry) is a Japanese murder mystery dōjin soft visual novel series produced by 07th Expansion. The first game in the series, Legend of the Golden Witch, was first released at Comiket 72 on August 17, 2007 playable on the PC; the game sold out in thirty minutes. The story focuses on a group of eighteen people on a secluded island for a period of two days, and the mysterious murders that befall most of the people. The goal of the game is to discern whether the murderer is human or of some other supernatural source.
- 1 Recurring Quotes
- 2 Episode 1: Legend of the Golden Witch
- 3 Episode 2: Turn of the Golden Witch
- 4 Episode 3: Banquet of the Golden Witch
- 5 Episode 4: Alliance of the Golden Witch
- 6 Episode 5: End of the Golden Witch
- 7 Episode 6: Dawn of the Golden Witch
- 8 Episode 7: Requiem of the Golden Witch
- 9 Episode 8: Twilight of the Golden Witch
- 10 Extra TIPS
- 11 Other Quotes
- 12 External links
"Ah, it's useless... It's all useless!" - Battler Ushiromiya & Ange Ushiromiya
"Without love, it cannot be seen."
"This level of reasoning is possible for Furudo Erika. ......What do you think, everyone?" - Erika Furudo
My beloved hometown, the sweetfish river running through it. You who seek the Golden Land, follow its path downstream and seek the key. If you follow the river downstream, you will find a village. In the village, look for the shore the two will tell you of. There sleeps the key to the Golden Land. He who lays hand upon the key shall travel under the rules below. At the first twilight, you shall lift up as sacrifice the six chosen by the key. At the second twilight, the surviving shall tear apart the two who are close. At the third twilight, the surviving shall praise my honorable name on high. At the fourth twilight, gouge the head and kill. At the fifth twilight, gouge the chest and kill. At the sixth twilight, gouge the stomach and kill. At the seventh twilight, gouge the knee and kill. At the eighth twilight, gouge the leg and kill. At the ninth twilight, the Witch shall be revived and none shall be left alive. At the tenth twilight, the journey shall end and you should reach the village of gold. The Witch will praise the wise, and should bestow four treasures. One shall be, all the gold from the Golden Land. One shall be, the resurrection of the souls of all the dead. One shall be, even the resurrection of the lost love. One shall be, to put the Witch to sleep for all time. Sleep peacefully, my most beloved witch, Beatrice. - The Witch's Epitaph
Episode 1: Legend of the Golden Witch
"You've got to be kidding me, .....this is, ...just impossible... ...Like I'd fall for something like this, ...witches don't 'exist', I won't accept it...! Something like you shouldn't 'exist', because this is a human world! You think I could accept something that's not human?! I definitely won't accept it!!" - Battler Ushiromiya's narration at the end of the Episode.
Episode 2: Turn of the Golden Witch
- Jessica: "Sheesh. ...Even though we've finally gathered all the cousins together after six years. This guy doesn't have a clue that he's the main guest of this family conference, does he?"
- Battler: "......I can hear you-. ...I've casually eaten lunch, and there's even a typhoon and rain. ......Since we aren't doing anything, that means it isn't my turn yet."
- George: "I wonder about that. If you have a passive attitude like that, and don't do anything unless something happens, your life will be pretty boring, right?"
- Battler: "......Wrong, that's not what I mean. ...How should I say it? ...In times like this, I've decided to think this way. ......It isn't my turn. If this were a play, it wouldn't be my turn to go on stage. ......So the best thing to do is stay on the wings of the stage."
- George: "You're always the main character of your own life, right? Why are you acting like a supporting actor? ...You have to move forward by yourself and get up on the stage."
- Battler: ".........That's not what I mean. What I'm mean by saying that it's not my turn now... Kuaaaaaaaaaaah...... Sorry, my mind's a mess. Give me a break...... Munyamunya......"
- George: "Seriously. You're so sleepy that you aren't making any sense. ...We'll leave you alone now."
- Jessica: "I think that's inexcusable. ...You are always the main character in your own life. But I kinda want to seriously argue with Battler about that!"
- George: "He's just half-asleep. Don't take him too seriously."
- Jessica: ".........You know what? I think he's got that kind of personality where he doesn't want to get up on the stage because he can't be the main character. ......Something about that pisses me off..." - Battler, George and Jessica Ushiromiya talking in the parlor. (Confirmation required)
"When I speak the truth, I will use red." - Beatrice introducing the Red to Battler.
Episode 3: Banquet of the Golden Witch
Virgilia: "Do you know how Braun tubes are constructed? Have you ever taken one apart and looked inside?"
- Battler: "......Nope. I think I read about it in a book or something once, but it was complicated and I didn't have a clue. I think that when electrons hit a fluorescent material, it creates luminescence or something like that..."
- Virgilia: "That book was a fake. Actually, there are small people called gremlins shut up inside the Braun tubes, and they do their job with magic."
- Battler: "Huh?! That's stupid, there's no way...!"
- Virgilia: "How can you deny it if you have never looked inside a Braun tube?"
- Battler: "......I've never looked inside, but I can state that small people like that definitely don't exist!"
- Virgilia: "Since there is no Braun tube here, that is impossible to prove."
- Battler: "Y, yeah, it is impossible to prove right now, ...but later I can take apart a TV somewhere and show you, and instantly win the argument!"
- Virgilia: "So, in other words, my 'magic theory', that gremlins are shut up inside the Braun tubes and display the picture with magic, is impossible to disprove until we can verify the contents of a Braun tube, right?"
- Battler: ".........Erk, .........what the hell, one of those? Are you trying to say it's a 'Devil's Proof'? That's your favorite trick, you witches."
- Virgilia: "A 'Devil's Proof' is a form of underhanded sophistry formed by claiming that it is impossible to prove a negative fact. However, it is different from what I am talking about with Braun tubes. That could be resolved just by taking apart a single television."
- Battler: "......You're right. It really isn't a 'Devil's Proof'."
- Virgilia: "The scientific theory you propose, and the magical theory I propose. ...One of those is the truth. And which one it is can be ascertained as soon as you look inside the Braun tube. However, until the instant that happens, we cannot deny each other's theories. So while there is only one truth, until you look into the Braun tube, you can make two conflicting truths exist at the same time. ......A different universe where, in a case that only one truth must exist, two can exist at the same time."
Is the cat in the box alive or dead? If you open the box, you will know the answer. You will know the truth. However, until you open the box, you can claim that the cat is alive, and you can also claim it is dead. Each of the two parties make a claim that is the 'correct' truth, and even though the two sides are conflicting, neither can win the argument as long as the box remains unopened. In other words, two truths exist at the same time. Even though there can only be one cat in the box, it is packed with a living cat and a dead cat, in a strange parallel world. That is what Rokkenjima is now. - Battler Ushiromiya and Virgilia
Episode 4: Alliance of the Golden Witch
- Battler: "The food they were given had small bombs in it, which exploded from inside their stomachs. In other words, the crime is possible through trap X! The details of a bomb that they could swallow without noticing and that could blow open their stomachs is a Devil's Proof! I refuse to explain!!"
- Beatrice: "Buh, hhahahahahahahhahahahhaha!! What the hell's thaaaaaaaaat?! Small bommmmmmmbs?! Waahhahahahahhahhahha!!" - Battler and Beatrice in the Tea Party
- "Love and madness are two sides of the same coin, or so they say. How bothersome." — Krauss Ushiromiya
Certainly, Battler had been tricked by her at one point. ......So he was probably able to suspect that her expression...that even her tears were an act. However, .........Battler...believed those tears. .........After all, those tears...had the red truth mixed in with them. - Battler Ushiromiya's narration at the end of the Tea Party.
Episode 5: End of the Golden Witch
"......Sorry to keep you waiting, Erika, ......Bernkastel. ......Now it's time for my truth......" - Battler Ushiromiya to Erika Furudo and Bernkastel in Episode Five ????
- Dlanor: "Allow me to ASK. Just where in this study is Kinzo HIDING?"
- Beatrice: "Heheh, well then... Maybe he's under the bed?!"
- Dlanor: "A check of that place has been FINISHED."
- Beatrice: "Maybe he's in the bathtub!!"
- Dlanor: "A check of that place has been FINISHED."
- Beatrice: "Inside the closet! Under the desk! Behind the curtains!!"
- Dlanor: "A check of that place has been FINISHED. Check FINISHED. Check FINISHED."
- Beatrice: "Behind the bookshelf, behind the closet, under the carpet, under the floor, above the ceiling, behind the wallpaper, inside the sofa, inside the chair, inside the bed, inside the blankets, inside the walls, inside a rock, inside a stone, inside the room!!"
- Dlanor: "CheckFINISHED checkFINISHED checkFINISHED checkcheckcheck FINISHEDFINISHEDFINISHED checkcheckcheckcheckcheckcheckcheckcheck FINISHEDFINISHEDFINISHEDFINISHED FINISHEDFINISHEDFINISHEDFINISHED <Die The death>! <Sentence to death>! <Great equalizer is The Death>!!" - Battle between Beatrice and Dlanor
"I guarantee that this corpse is Ushiromiya Kinzo's corpse...!!" - Battler using the Gold for the first time.
"I'm your ally. Until you win, I'll support you so that you can reach that future... for all eternity, until I get bored." - Bernkastel at beginning of Episode 5
"....I don't give a damn about your pride. How long do you intend to shame yourself like that? ....You, my double who's been granted the same blue hair as me.... how long do you intend to hang there pierced through like that....? I guess I'll just have to descend myself...." - Bernkastel to Erika
Episode 6: Dawn of the Golden Witch
"Sorry, but, even if you join us, there are 17 people." - Battler Ushiromiya and Beatrice to Erika Furudo
"Without love it cannot be seen. ...Hah that's backwards. Because of love you end up seeing things that don't exist. Its nothing more than an illusion, one that no one except you can see, and one that even you cannot touch. Without love humans would never have to sift through truth and lies. Because we can see those, …We doubt, we suffer, we cry out loud." - Erika Furudo to Dlanor A Knox
Episode 7: Requiem of the Golden Witch
"......If you can’t do it? Enough whining. I won’t forgive you. Neither will Clair. .....Did you forget that you’re Clair’s 1 in 2,578,917 chance? If you give up, you’re betraying all the other ‘yous’ in countless worlds.......!! So don’t lose heart! Keep on struggling and struggling....!! Don’t look for a miracle.... Be one!! You’re gonna reach a happy future. You can’t give up, and you can’t complain. Just you try complaining one more time. This time I’ll pinch your ass...!" - Willard H. Wright to Ushiromiya Lion in the Tea Party
"And when you realize that you can't defeat me with those twenty wedges,..... you know what'll happen next, right?" - Bernkastel to Willard H. Wright at Tea Party
"When they're alive, you can enjoy watching them struggle. When they're dead, you can enjoy tearing out their guts. Tales are things you get to enjoy twice." - Bernkastel to Lion moments before she rip out Clair's guts
"This game will not have a happy ending." - Bernkastel
Episode 8: Twilight of the Golden Witch
Both love and happiness are the same as the air. Even though it fills the world, if you don't understand it, it's the same as if it doesn't exist. - Memoirs of the ΛΔ
"Tear apart the darkness...OH DESIRE!" - JIMANG in Umineko Anime Ending