United States Marine Corps
Need help formating and citations Let's build this Wiki!
United States Marine Corps is the branch of the United States armed forces established to conduct amphibious (ship to shore) combat and protect diplomatic missions of the United States government.
- Semper Fidelis ~ official motto
- Always Faithful ~ English translation of Latin motto
- Semper Fi! ~ Abbreviated version
- From the halls of Montezuma
To the shores of Tripoli
We fight our country's battles,
in the air, on land, and sea.
- The Marines' Hymn (1919)
- Come on, you sons-o'-bitches! Do you want to live forever?
- First Sergeant Daniel Daly, 73rd Machine Gun Company, to the men in his company prior to charging the Germans during the Battle of Belleau Wood in World War I. This is the version popularly attributed to Daly and recorded by Floyd Gibbons in And They Thought We Wouldn't Fight (1918), p. 304, ISBN 9781417903719
- Variant: For Christ's sake men—come on! Do you want to live forever?
- First Sergeant Daniel Daly, 73rd Machine Gun Company. Alternative version claimed by Daly himself.
- Some people work an entire lifetime and wonder if they ever made a difference to the world. But the Marines don't have that problem.
- It was the fate of our Marines to be at the front at a moment when the destiny of the modern world hung in the balance, and to have played a part that will be gratefully remembered here in America, as well as in western Europe, through generations to come.
- USMC quotes at Old Corps