- [to Wes] Hey Tattoo! You see this here. That there's a wedding ring. That means we're married! She's mine, okay?
- [to Pam] Contrary to what you or your daddy think. All cowboys ain't dumb. Some of 'em got smarts real good, like me.
- [at her wedding] My legs are sweatin', momma.
- [to Sissy] You can't expect a man like me to be faithful to any woman.
- Sissy: You a real cowboy?
- Bud: Well that depends on what you think a real cowboy is.
- Sissy: I saw you here the other night, you had a beard right? You shouldn't have shaved it, I thought it looked good.
- Bud: Damn, who asked you?
- Sissy: No one. [pause] Know how to two step?
- Bud: Yup.
- Sissy: [pause] Wanna prove it?
- Bud: Alright.
- Bud Davis: You have to understand that there some things a girl can't do.
- Sissy: Name one.
- Marshall: I can name a few, like Pissing on the side of a wall, getting laid while your pants are still on...
- Sissy: Why would you want to?
- Bud: How are you gonna get home?
- Sissy: I got a thumb, I got a middle finger!
- Bud: Fine, forget it.
- Sissy: Fine, forget it.
- Uncle Bob: You know Bud; sometimes even a cowboy's gotta swallow his pride to hold on to somebody he loves.
- Bud: What do you mean?
- Uncle Bob: Hell I know, I pretty near lost Corrine and the kids a couple of times just 'cause of pride. You know you think that ol' pride's gonna choke you going down but I tell you what ain't a night goes by I don't thank the boss up there for giving me a big enough throat. 'Cause without Corrine and them kids hell I'd just be another pile of dog shit in the cantaloupe patch just drawing flies.
- Bud: I guess so.
- Uncle Bob: Think about it Bud, pride's one of those seven deadlies you know what I mean?
- Sissy: Uncle Bob wanted you to be happy. Are you happy?
- Bud: Hell, yes I'm happy. How about you? Are you happy?
- Sissy: Yeah, I finally got what I wanted. I got a real cowboy.
- Bud: I finally got what I wanted too. I got myself a real lady.
- Pam: Bud, the family car's waiting.
- Bud: The family car's waiting.
- [Bud is upset that Sissy left before he got the rodeo prize.]
- Pam: You did it for her; didn't you?
- Bud: What?
- Pam: Practicing, winning, all that, didn't you?
- Bud: What are you talkin' about?
- Pam: Because you sure didn't do it for me.
- Bud: Pam, this ain't no time to start this with me, what are you talking about?
- Pam: Look, I'm a shit, but I'm not that big a shit. I have to tell you something, remember when you came home from ridding on the bull that first time and the trailer was all clean and flowers around; I didn't do that, Sissy did it, she was there. She left you a note asking you to phone her. I tore it up, cause I was sorta jealous. I wanted to keep my cowboy. You don't love me Bud, and I don't really love you, not like that. So you shouldn't let her get away. But I tell you what, if you ever wanna make her jealous you know where I am.
- Bud: I gotta go.
- [Bud sees an ugly bruise on Sissy's face left by Wes.]
- Bud: What happened to your face?
- Sissy: Got hit.
- Bud: Did he hit you? Goddamnit, I'm gonna kill that son of a bitch!
- Sissy: Bud, no just leave him alone. BUD!
- John Travolta - Bud Davis
- Debra Winger - Sissy Davis
- Scott Glenn - Wes Hightower
- Barry Corbin - Uncle Bob Davis
- Brooke Alderson - Aunt Corene Davis
- James Gammon - Steven Strange
- Madolyn Smith-Osborne - Pam