For info, see my Wikipedia page.
Some of my favorite quotations:
- When a politician is in opposition he is an expert on the means to some end; and when he is in office he is an expert on the obstacles to it. -- G.K. Chesterton
- A nation trying to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to pull himself up by the handles. -- Winston Churchill
- Everything can be taken from a man but one thing; the last of the human freedoms—to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way. -- Viktor Frankl
- We must become the change we want to see in the world. -- Mahatma Gandhi
- The weakness of a soul is proportionate to the number of truths that must be kept from it. -- Eric Hoffer
- The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. Instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it. Through violence you may murder the liar, but you cannot murder the lie, nor establish the truth. Through violence you may murder the hater, but you do not murder hate. In fact, violence merely increases hate. So it goes. … Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that. -- Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. -- C.S. Lewis
- To achieve the impossible, it is precisely the unthinkable that must be thought. -- Tom Robbins
- It is not because the truth is too difficult to see that we make mistakes. It may even lie on the surface; but we make mistakes because the easiest and most comfortable course for us is to seek insight where it accords with our emotions — especially selfish ones. -- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
- If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. -- Henry David Thoreau
- In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second hand, and without examination. -- Mark Twain
- Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation. -- Oscar Wilde
- It is our responsibilities, not ourselves, that we should take seriously. -- Peter Ustinov
|This is a Wikiquote user page.
If you find this page on any site other than Wikiquote, you are viewing a mirror site. Be aware that the page may be outdated, and that the user this page belongs to may have no personal affiliation with any site other than Wikiquote itself. The original page is located at http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/User:JayJasper.