The Uyghur (also spelled Uighur; Uyghur: ئۇيغۇر;) are an ethnic group of Central Asia. They are one of China's 56 officially recognized ethnicities. Here are quotes from famous scholars' about them.
- Uyghurs are the best among Turks. Their language is called Hakaniye Turkchesi (King's Turkish).
- Kashgarli Mehmud, Divanü Lügat-it-Türk (The Dictionary of Turkic Languages), 1072.
- Turfan (Turpan) is without doubt a forgotten Asian city of extraordinary interest. The size of it is remarkable: the inner, holy city, consisting only of temples and palace, measures 7,400 feet at the widest point of the still extant walls. Hundreds of terraced temples and grandiose vaulted edifices cover an extensive area of lane.
- The Uyghur language and script contributed to the enrichment of civilizations of the other peoples in Central Asia. Compared to the Europeans of that time, the Uyghurs were far more advanced. Documents discovered in Uyghur Region prove that an Uyghur farmer could write down a contract, using legal terminology. How many European farmers could have done that at that period? This shows the extent of Uygur civilization of that time.
- Shuyl Unver, Medicine in Uyghurs, Istanbul, 1936. pp. 4-6.
- The Uyghurs knew how to print books centuries before Guetenberg invented his press.
- Lazlo Rasonyi, Turkic in History, Ankara, 1971, pp. 105, 107.
- In Middle Ages, the Chinese poetry, literature, theater, music and painting were greatly influenced by the Uyghurs.
- Wolfram Eberhard, History of China, Istanbul, 1947, p. 116.
- Russian scholar Pantusov writes that the Uyghurs manufactured their own musical instruments; they had 62 different kinds of musical instruments and in every Uyghur home there used to be an instrument called a "dutar".
- Brief History of Uyghur Literature, Almaty, 1983, p. 7.
- The Uyghurs. You certainly do not hear much about them, because the press is hushed up. In fact, the distrust is so great that Uyghurs do not even bother talking much to Chinese authorities in any meaningful way. Sure you hear about racism in the U.S. and racial crimes, but blacks, whites, Asians, et cetera, are on speaking terms to resolve issues. You do not have that trust in Han and Uyghur relations.
- Bio Yook, as quoted in "It's the 50th Anniversary of Japan-Korea Normalization, and Abe Conceded... Nothing" (June 2015), by Robert E. Kelly, Asian Security Blog.