Valiant (2005 film)
Valiant is a 2005 computer-animated film starring Ewan McGregor, Ricky Gervais, Tim Curry, John Cleese, John Hurt, Jim Broadbent, Hugh Laurie and Rik Mayall. Set in May of the year 1944, it tells the story of a group of war pigeons during World War II. The film was produced by John H. Williams and co-produced by Vanguard Animation and Odyssey Entertainment. Reviews toward Valiant were mixed and largely poor. The film is based on a story by Jordan Katz, George Webster, and George Melrod, and inspired by true stories of hundreds of pigeons that helped the soldiers in the war. At the end of the film, it says that of the 54 Dickin Medals awarded to animals, 32 of them went to pigeons.
- Who is this Gutsy geezer anyway?
Wing Commander Gustsy
- Let's make wind!
- [sighs] If we don't find more birds fast, our goose is going to be cooked!
- [to his comrades] Steady lads! Were almost home. Just a few flaps more, we be over the White Cliffs of Dover!
- Valiant: Come on! Chiin up, Valiant! Stiff upper-beak.
- Gutsy: Gentlemen, get ready to drop!
- Tailfeather: Are you ready to drop?
- Toughwood: I think I dropped already!
- Gutsy: It's okay to be scared! I'd be worried if you weren't. It won't get better, but you'll get used to it! Go! Go! Go! It's jammed!
- Valiant: Sir, let me help you!
- Gutsy: NO! Go now! That's an order!
- Valiant: Yes, sir. Come on Gutsy, get out of there! (groans) Oh, come on.
- Messenger: Wing Commander Gutsy, this just in from a seagull near Dover: None of them made it back alive.
- Gutsy: None of them? But...but those were some of our top fliers.
- Messenger: I'm sorry, Sir. I'm just the messenger pigeon.
- Gutsy: [sighs] If we don't find some more birds fast, our goose is going to be cooked.
- Felix: So, what's the news from the front?
- Gutsy: Can't say of course. Classified. But danger is our business.
- Valiant: [grunts] Let me through. Got to get to Wing Comman- [slips; crowd laughs] Excuse me, Wing Commander?
- Gutsy: Yes?
- Valiant: Sir, where do I sign up?
- Unnamed Pigeon: Are you a bit on the wee side? (crowd laughs)
- Gutsy: [clears throat] There always a place for a few valiant birds. Sign up is tomorrow in London. Love to stay and chat but duty calls and we must answer. Beaks up, boys [drinks juice] Let's make wind.
About Valiant (2005 film)
- George Webster, our screen writer, saw an article in his morning paper about animals in war, and the carrier pigeon’s role. This got him to put pen to page, and we ended up with Valiant.
- Gary Chapman