Jump to navigation Jump to search
Dame Vera Margaret Lynn CH DBE OStJ (née Welch; 20 March 1917 – 18 June 2020) was a British singer, songwriter, and entertainer whose musical recordings and performances were widely popular during the Second World War.
|This musician-related article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- As we commemorate 75 years since Victory in Europe, we must all remember the brave boys and what they sacrificed for us … they left their families and homes to fight for our freedom, and many lost their lives trying to protect us and our liberties.
This year, we must commemorate this special anniversary apart.
I hope that VE Day will remind us all that hope remains even in the most difficult of times and that simple acts of bravery and sacrifice still define our nation as the NHS works so hard to care for us.
Most of all, I hope today serves as a reminder that however hard things get, we will meet again.
Quotes about Lynn
- I am so sad to hear of her passing but at the same time so glad to have met her and experienced first-hand her warm, fun-loving personality. Her voice will sing in my heart forever.
- Does anybody here remember Vera Lynn?
Remember how she said that
We would meet again
Some sunny day?
What has become of you?
Does anybody else in here
Feel the way I do?
- Vera Lynn on IMDb
- Dame Vera Lynn Trust for Children with Cerebral Palsy
- Vera Lynn discography at Discogs.com
- 2002 Woman's Hour interview
- Q&A with TIME Magazine in September 2009
- 2010 interview with Nathan Morley on CyBC
- Imperial War Museum Interview
- March 2017 online interview with Michael Ashcroft
- Vera Lynn's 78rpm recordings at the Internet Archive
- "Neighbours sing Vera Lynn's 'We'll meet again' on VE Day 2020", The Telegraph (8 May 2020)
- "Vera Lynn" listing at YouTube
- PDF: "Dame Vera Lynn: Voice of a Generation" by Erin Hackel, Kapralova Society Journal, Vol. 11 Issue 2 (2013), p. 1-6