Warcraft is a series of computer games, novels, and a film set in a dystopian medieval fantasy universe created by Blizzard Entertainment. As the name implies, the dystopian Warcraft universe largely revolves around conflict.
Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos (2002)
- Old Man: (voice-over) We never paid any heed to the ancient prophecies. Like fools we clung to the old hatreds, and fought as we had for generations. Until the day the sky rained fire, and a new enemy came upon us. We stand now, upon the brink of destruction, for the reign of chaos has come at last.
- Medivh: The sands of time have run out, son of Durotan. The cries of war echo upon the winds. The remnants of the past scar the land, which is besieged once again by conflict. Heroes arise to challenge fate, and lead their brethren to battle. As mortal armies rush blindly towards their doom, the Burning Shadow comes to consume us all. You must rally the Horde and lead your people to their destiny! Seek me out...
- Ambassador 1: We've received reports that the orcs are regrouping.
- Ambassador 2: Certainly the recent attacks against the internment camps are evidence enough.
- Ambassador 3: Agreed, the Horde is on the move!
- Ambassador 4: This is absurd. My nation will not stand by and watch as the Horde masses on our very doorstep!
- Kirin Tor Ambassador: The orcs are not our primary concern here. How many times must I repeat myself? King Terenas, you must heed my warning! This plague that has gripped the northlands could have dire ramifications...
- [The ambassadors are heard arguing, while a crow flies into the throne room]
- Ambassador: Plague? You wizards are just being paranoid!
- Ambassador: Let's keep all this in perspective. Even if this plague does pose a threat to us, what are you proposing that we do?
- Kirin Tor Ambassador: It is simple. As I have said, the Kirin Tor are already prepared to place the villages under strict quarantine...
- King Terenas: [interrupting] I will not institute quarantine without proof of your claims, ambassador. The people of Lordaeron have suffered enough without becoming prisoners in their own lands.
- [The crow transforms, revealing itself to be Medivh.]
- Medivh: Yet prisoners they are, good King.
- Terenas: What is the meaning of this? Who are you?
- Medivh: Humanity is in peril! The tides of darkness have come again, and the whole world is poised upon the brink of war!
- Ambassador: Enough of this! Guards, remove this madman!
- Medivh: Hear me! The only hope for your people is to travel west, to the forgotten lands of Kalimdor...!
- [There is huge outrage by the ambassadors]
- Ambassador: [astounded] Travel west?! Are you mad?
- Terenas: Hold, ambassador. I don't know who you are or what you believe, but this is not the time for rambling prophets! Our lands are beset by conflict, but it shall be we who decide how best to protect our people, not you! Now, begone!
- Medivh: I failed humanity once before, and I will not do so again. If you can not take up this cup, then I shall find another who will.
- [He leaves.]
- Medivh: (voice-over) The warning has been given. Their fate is now their own.
- Terenas: Ah, my son...
- Arthas: (voice-over) You no longer need to sacrifice for your people. You no longer need to bear the weight of your crown. I've taken care of everything.
- [Arthas advances on the throne and grabs King Terenas.]
- Terenas: What is this? What are you doing, my son?
- Arthas: Succeeding you, father. [stabs him] This kingdom shall fall, and from the ashes shall arise a new order that will shake the very foundations of the world!
The Destruction of Dalaran
- Archimonde: Azhir uval nutarus. Azhir mudas ethanul. Dalektharu il dask daku. Riftuuz e thara samanar utamus. Elas umanes azarathan rakas ibna. Belanora mordanos nenaar ila mornu farlos kada. (in the Eredar language: "Let this scar signify the first blow against the mortal world. From this seal shall arise the doom of men, who, in their arrogance, sought to wield our fire as their own. Blindly they build their kingdoms upon stolen knowledge and conceit. Now they shall be consumed by the very flame they sought to control. Let the echoes of doom resound across this wretched world, that all who live may hear them and despair.")
The Death of Hellscream
- Mannoroth: So predictable. I knew you would come. And I see you've brought the mighty Hellscream. His blood is mine, as is your whole, misbegotten race!
- [Thrall roars a challenge and hurls his hammer at the demon, to no avail.]
- Mannoroth: A worthy effort, but futile!
- [Mannoroth smashes Thrall aside, then turns to Grom, laughing.]
- Mannoroth: The boy believed you could be saved, but he didn't know what burns within your soul! When in your heart, you know... we are the same!
- Grom Hellscream: [enraged] NOOOOO!
- [Grom charges Mannoroth and buries his axe in the demon's chest. Mannoroth explodes in a fiery blast that strikes Grom. He collapses to the floor, as Thrall moves over to him]
- Grom: Thrall... the blood haze has lifted. The demon's fire has burnt out in my veins. I have... freed myself. [dies]
- Thrall: No, old friend. You've freed us all. [lets out a mighty roar of grief]
- Medivh: The roots will heal in time, as will the entire world. The sacrifices have been made. Just as the orcs, humans, and night elves discarded their old hatreds and stood united against a common foe, so did nature herself rise up to banish the shadow...forever. As for me, I came back to ensure that there would be a future, to teach the world that it no longer needed guardians. The hope for future generations has always resided in mortal hands. And now that my task is done, I will take my place amongst the legends of the past.
Uther: Ah, good timing, lad. I sent two of my best knights in to parley with the orc leader. They should be returning shortly. [two horses arrive without knights on them] Damn. These orcs will never surrender.
Arthas: Then let's get in there and destroy the beasts!
Uther: Remember, Arthas, we are paladins. Vengeance cannot be a part of what we must do. If we allow our passions to turn to bloodlust, then we will become as vile as the orcs. [a knight arrives]
Arthas: Yes, Uther. [the knight leads the two horses away]
Uther: Now, if you're feeling up to it, I want you to lead the attack.
Arthas: Me? Well, of course!
Uther: I'll remain here and ensure that none of the loathsome beasts threaten the camp.
Arthas: I won't fail you.
Uther: I know you won't, lad.
Medivh: You must be wiser than the king! The end is near!
Antonidas: I told you before, I’m not interested in this nonsense!
Medivh: Then I've wasted my time here. [transforms into a raven and flies away]
Antonidas: You can show yourself now, Jaina. He's gone. [Jaina appears before Antonidas]
Jaina Proudmoore: I'm sorry for eavesdropping, master, but--
Antonidas: It's your inquisitive nature that I've come to rely on, child. That crazed fool's convinced that the world is about to end. [teleports both himself and Jaina to another square in Dalaran]
Jaina: I've heard the rumors of the plague spreading throughout the northlands. Do you truly believe that the plague is magical in nature?
Antonidas: It's a strong possibility. That’s why I need you to travel there and investigate the matter. I’ve arranged for a special envoy to assist you.
Jaina: Yes, master. I'll do my best.
Antonidas: I know you will, child. Farewell.
Medivh: Greetings, young prince. We must talk.
Arthas: I have no time for this!
Medivh: Listen to me, boy. This land is lost! The shadow has already fallen, and nothing you do will deter it. If you truly wish to save your people, lead them across the sea... to the west.
Arthas: Flee? My place is here, and my only course is to defend my people!
Medivh: Then your choice is already made. Just remember, the harder you strive to slay your enemies, the faster you'll deliver your people right into their hands. [transforms into a raven and flies away]
Jaina: [running toward Arthas] I'm sorry for concealing myself, Arthas. I just wanted to--
Arthas: Don't say it!
Jaina: I sensed tremendous power about him, Arthas. Maybe he's right. Maybe he does know what will happen.
Arthas: Nothing he can say will make me abandon my homeland, Jaina. I don't care if that madman has seen the future. Let's go.
Arthas: Glad you could make it, Uther.
Uther: Watch your tone with me, boy. You may be the prince, but I'm still your superior as a paladin!
Arthas: As if I could forget. Listen Uther, there's something about the plague you should know... [civilians begin entering a cursed sleep] Oh no. We're too late. These people have all been infected! They may look fine now, but it's just a matter of time before they turn into the undead!
Arthas: This entire city must be purged.
Uther: How can you even consider that? There's got to be some other way.
Arthas: Damn it, Uther! As your future king, I order you to purge this city!
Uther: You are not my king yet, boy! Nor would I obey that command even if you were!
Arthas: Then I must consider this an act of treason.
Uther: [astounded] Treason? Have you lost your mind, Arthas?
Arthas: Have I? Lord Uther, by my right of succession and the sovereignty of my crown, I hereby relieve you of your command and suspend your paladins from service.
Jaina: Arthas! You can't just--
Arthas: It's done! Those of you who have the will to save this land, follow me! The rest of you... get out of my sight!
Uther: [some knights leave] You've just crossed a terrible threshold, Arthas. [Uther leaves]
Arthas: [Jaina turns to leave] Jaina?
Jaina: I'm sorry, Arthas. I can't watch you do this.
[Mal'Ganis teleports into Stratholme with his two ghouls.]
Mal'Ganis: I've been waiting for you, young prince. I am Mal'Ganis. [Mal'Ganis and his ghouls destroy a nearby building and turn the occupants into zombies] As you can see, your people are now mine. I will now turn this city household by household, until the flame of life has been snuffed out... forever.
Arthas: I won't allow it, Mal'Ganis! Better that these people die by my hand than serve as your slaves in death!
Arthas: We're going to finish this right now, Mal'Ganis. Just you and me.
Mal'Ganis: Brave words. Unfortunately for you, it won't end here. Your journey has just begun, young prince. Gather your forces and meet me in the arctic land of Northrend. It is there that we shall settle the score between us. It is there that your true destiny will unfold. [teleports away]
Arthas: I'll hunt you to the ends of the earth if I have to! Do you hear me? To the ends of the earth!
Jaina: So much death... I can't believe Arthas could've done this.
Uther: [running toward Jaina] Jaina! Jaina Proudmoore!
Jaina: Lord Uther?
Uther: Ah, Jaina. I thought I might find you here. Where has he gone, girl? Where has Arthas taken the fleet?
Jaina: He came to me before he left. I pleaded with him not to go. I told him it sounded like a trap!
Uther: Where? [pause]
Jaina: Northrend. He's gone to Northrend to hunt Mal'Ganis.
Uther: Damn that boy! I've got to inform King Terenas. Don't be too hard on yourself, girl. You had nothing to do with this... slaughter. [leaves]
[Medivh flies towards Jaina and turns into his human form.]
Medivh: The dead in this land might lie still for the time being, but don't be fooled. Your young prince will find only death in the cold north.
Jaina: You! Arthas is only doing what he believes is right!
Medivh: Commendable as that may be, his passions will be his undoing. It falls to you now, young sorceress. You must lead your people west to the ancient lands of Kalimdor. Only there can you combat the shadow and save this world from the flame.
[The emissary arrives in a zeppelin with two footmen.]
Luc Valonforth: I apologize, emissary, but the prince is away on an errand. What brings you to this desolate place?
Emissary: By royal edict, you men are to return to Lordaeron immediately. Lord Uther has convinced the king to recall this expedition. [turns to his zeppelin]
Luc Valonforth: [puzzled] We're to just pick up and leave?
Emissary: That's correct. My men report that the roads from here to the shore are held by the undead. You'll need to find an alternate route back to your ships. [leaves]
Luc Valonforth: To hell with the undead! We'll cut our way through the woods, men!
[All of the footmen leave their post and head to the woods, then Arthas and Muradin return to find their post empty except 2 mortar teams.]
Arthas: Captain, why are the guards not at their posts?
Luc Valonforth: Well, milord, your father had our troops recalled at Lord Uther's request.
Arthas: [shocked and furiously] Uther had my troops recalled? Damn it! If my warriors abandon me, I'll never defeat Mal'Ganis. The ships must be burned before the men reach the shore!
Muradin: [two mortar teams approach them] Isn't that a bit much, lad?
Arthas: [angrily] Burned down to their frames! No one goes home until our job here is done!
[Luc Valonforth and his forces clear through a forest and discover Arthas and the burning ships.]
Luc Valonforth: Prince Arthas?
Arthas: Quickly, my warriors! [The mercenaries approach] These murderous creatures have burned our ships and robbed you of your way home! Slay them all in the name of Lordaeron!
Footman: Damn beasts!
Knight: Kill them all! [Arthas and his forces kill the mercenaries]
Footman: Our ships are ruined. What will we do now?
Arthas: Listen to me, all of you! There is no way home for any of us, save through victory! In this land we will stand or fall together. Now, return to the base and man your posts.
Muradin Bronzebeard: [furious] You lied to your men and betrayed the mercenaries who fought for you. What's happening to you, Arthas? Is vengeance all that's important to you?
Arthas: Spare me, Muradin. You weren't there to see what Mal'Ganis did to my homeland.
[Scourge forces led by Mal'Ganis arrive and surround the camp.]
Mal'Ganis: The Dark Lord said you would come. This is where your journey ends, boy. Trapped and freezing at the roof of the world, with only death to sing the tale of your doom.
Muradin: This looks bad. We're completely surrounded.
Arthas: There's still one chance. Help me claim Frostmourne! If it's as powerful as you said, it might tilt the scales in our favor!
Muradin: I have a bad feeling about this, lad. But I promised I'd see this through.
Arthas: Captain, I'll leave you to organize our defense. Let's move out.
[Arthas, Muradin and several of their units exit the camp and travel through a Way Gate.]
[Arthas, Muradin and their units find revenants guarding the entrance to the cave.]
Guardian: Turn back, mortals. Death and darkness are all that await you in this forsaken vault.
Arthas: I doubt there is anything down here more terrifying than what we've faced already.
Guardian: Believe what you will, boy. You shall not pass.
Guardian: [defeated] Turn away... before it's... too late.
Arthas: Still trying to protect the sword, are you?
Guardian: No... trying to protect you... from it. [dies]
[Arthas and Muradin enter Frostmourne Cavern.]
Arthas: Behold, Muradin, our salvation, Frostmourne.
Muradin: Hold, lad. There's an inscription on the dais. It's a warning. It says, "Whomsoever takes up this blade shall wield power eternal. Just as the blade rends flesh, so must power scar the spirit." Oh, I should've known. The blade is cursed! Let's get the hell out of here!
Arthas: I would gladly bear any curse to save my homeland.
Muradin: Leave it be, Arthas. Forget this business and lead your men home.
Arthas: Damn the men! Nothing shall prevent me from having my revenge, old friend. Not even you. [begins casting] Now, I call out to the spirits of this place. I will give anything or pay any price, if only you will help me save my people.
[The ice around Frostmourne shatters, knocking down Muradin. Arthas drops Light's Vengeance and takes up Frostmourne. Sometime later, Arthas emerges from a Way Gate.]
Falric: Prince Arthas! Where is Muradin? We can't hold out for much longer!
Arthas: Muradin is dead. But take heart, Captain. The enemy will not stand long against the might of Frostmourne!
Mal'Ganis: So, you've taken up Frostmourne at the expense of your comrades' lives, just as the Dark Lord said you would. You're stronger than I thought.
Arthas: You waste your breath, Mal'Ganis. I heed only the voice of Frostmourne now.
Mal'Ganis: You hear the voice of the Dark Lord. He whispers to you through the blade you wield. What does he say, young human? What does the Dark Lord of the Dead tell you now?
Arthas: [hearing whispers] He tells me that the time for my vengeance has come.
Mal'Ganis: [deceived] What? He can't possibly mean to-- [Arthas strikes him down with Frostmourne]
Arthas: It is finished. [wanders off into the snow]
Uther: Your father ruled this land for seventy years, and you've ground it to dust in a matter of days.
Arthas: Very dramatic, Uther. Give me the urn, and I'll make sure you die quickly.
Uther: The urn holds your father's ashes, Arthas! What, were you hoping to piss on them one last time before you left his kingdom to rot?
Arthas: [chuckles] I didn't know what it held. Nor does it matter. I'll take what I came for, one way or another.
Uther: [his last words] I dearly hope that there's a special place in hell waiting for you, Arthas.
Arthas: We may never know, Uther. I intend to live forever.
Arthas: I salute your bravery, elf, but the chase is over.
Sylvanas Windrunner: Then I'll make my stand here, butcher. Anar'alah belore! [Arthas duels Sylvanas and soon deals her a mortal wound] Finish it! I deserve...a clean death.
Arthas: [hatefully] After all you've put me through, woman, the last thing I'll give you is the peace of death! [Arthas begins to perform necromancy]
Sylvanas: [horrified] NO! You wouldn't dare...! [Sylvanas is resurrected as a banshee]
- Archimonde: [upon being summoned into the mortal realm] Tremble, mortals and despair! DOOM HAS COME TO THIS WORLD!
- Tyrande Whisperwind: Archimonde! After ten thousand years, how is it possible?
- Archimonde: [cackles] The Legion has returned to consume this world, woman...and this time, your troublesome race will NOT stop us!
Furion: You've changed, Tyrande. There is little mercy left in you.
Tyrande: I have not had the luxury of sleeping through thousands of years of turmoil.
Furion: If your eternal vigil has hardened you, my love, it must be part of your goddess' plan.
[Tyrande and Furion wait in a glade while Medivh, in raven form, flies overhead.]
Tyrande: We have no time for this, Furion! What are we doing out here?
Furion: Last night in a dream, a great raven spoke to me and summoned me to this place.
[Thrall and Jaina arrive at the glade.]
Thrall: We were summoned here as well.
Furion: Who are you, outlanders?
Thrall: I am Thrall, son of Durotan, Warchief of the Horde.
Jaina: And I am Jaina Proudmoore, leader of the human survivors of Lordaeron.
Tyrande: You are not welcome here!
[Medivh lands and transforms into his human form.]
Medivh: [to Tyrande] Peace, Priestess. They've come to aid you against the Legion.
Furion: It was you in my dream! But who are you to make such an offer to us?
Medivh: I... am the reason for the Legion's return. [flashback begins in which he opens the Dark Portal, allowing the orcs to enter Azeroth] Years ago, I brought the orcs into this world, and by doing so, I opened a path for the demons as well. [flashback shifts to Alliance forces killing him] For my sins, I was murdered by those who I cared for most. [flashback shifts again to the renewed war between the orcs and the humans] Despite my death, war raged across the lands of the east for many long years, leaving entire kingdoms devastated in its wake. [the scene shifts back to the glade at the present day] Now, at long last, I have returned to set things right. I... am Medivh, the Last Guardian. I tell you now, the only chance for this world is for you to unite in arms against the enemies of all who live!
Archimonde: You are very brave to stand against me, little human. If only your countrymen had been as bold, I would have more fun scouring your wretched nations from the world!
Jaina: Is talk all you demons do? [she teleports to safety]
Archimonde: STORMRAGE! Show yourself! Or do you intend to have mortal girls do all your fighting for you?
Archimonde: You orcs are weak and hardly worth the effort! I wonder why Mannoroth even bothered with you!
Thrall: Our spirit is stronger than you know, demon! If we are to fall, then so be it! At least now we are free! [Thrall blasts Archimonde with a spell and then teleports to safety]
Archimonde: The wretched little whelp actually hurt me! Ha-ha-ha-ha... Are there none left to stand against the Legion? This is almost too easy! If I had known that this mortal resistance would be so weak, I would have launched this invasion centuries ago!
Furion: Archimonde's victory here has made him overconfident. He will not see the trap I have laid for him...until it is too late.
Archimonde: At last! The way to the World Tree is clear! Witness the end, mortals! The final hour has come!
Tyrande: The outlanders held him back as long as they could. Were you successful in planning the summit's defence?
Furion: Yes. Now our victory is assured.
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne (2003)
Illidan Stormrage: Betrayer. In truth, it was I who was betrayed. Still, I am hunted. Still, I am hated. Now, my blind eyes see what others cannot. That sometimes the hand of fate must be forced!
[The Naga arise from the depths]
Now, go forth. Unleash the tides of doom. Upon all those who would oppose us!
Finale: Arthas' Ascension
- [Arthas ascends the spire of Icecrown Glacier. His thoughts are flooded with memories of comrades long past.]
- Uther: ...to turn to bloodlust, we will become as vile as the orcs.
- Uther: You are not my king yet, boy!
- Muradin Bronzebeard: Forget this business and lead your men home.
- Uther: Nor would I obey that command even if you were!
- Arthas: Damn it, Uther! As your future king, I order you to purge this city!
- Uther: Have you lost your mind, Arthas?
- Arthas: Then I must consider this an act of treason.
- Uther: ...and you've ground it to dust in a matter of days.
- Muradin: You lied to your men and betrayed the mercenaries who fought for you. What's happening to you, Arthas?
- Medivh: Your young prince will find only death in the cold north.
- [Arthas reaches the Frozen Throne.]
- Ner'zhul: Return the blade. Complete the circle. Release me from this prison!
- [Arthas cries out and strikes the block of ice. It shatters to the sound of a screech of joy, and Ner'zhul's helm falls to the ground. Arthas dons it, and his eyes move about rapidly under their lids. His eyes open, and glow with radiant blue light.]
- Lich King: Now, we are one.
- [Arthas is last seen seated atop the Frozen Throne.]
- Balnazzar: The lich, Kel'Thuzad is far too loyal to betray his master. But you, on the other hand...
- Sylvanas Windrunner:...hate him. I have my own reasons for seeking vengeance. Arthas murdered my people and turned me into this...monstrosity!
- Sylvanas Windrunner: [having shot Arthas with an arrow] You walked right into this one, Arthas. It's time to even the scales.
- Arthas: Traitor! What have you done to me?!
- Sylvanas Windrunner: It's a special poisoned arrow I made just for you. The paralysis you're experiencing now is but a fraction of the agony you've caused me!
- Arthas: [defiant] Finish me, then!
- Sylvanas Windrunner: A quick death... like the one you gave me? No. You're going to suffer as I did. Thanks to my arrow, you can't even run. Give my regards to hell, you son of a bitch.
- Kel'Thuzad: [arriving with an army to intervene] Back, you mindless ones! You shall not fall today, my king! [he and his men drive off Sylvanas and her minions]
- Sylvanas Windrunner: [as she flees] This isn't over, Arthas! I'll never stop hunting you!
- Banshee: You seem troubled, mistress.
- Sylvanas Windrunner: Aren't you, sister? Only days ago, we were the Lich King's slaves. We existed only to slaughter in his name. And now, we are...free.
- Banshee: I don't understand, mistress. I thought you'd be overjoyed.
- Sylvanas Windrunner: What joy is there in this curse? We are still undead, still...monstrosities. What are we if not slaves to this torment!!
- Maiev Shadowsong: I am the Hand of Justice, Illidan. Long ago, I swore an oath to keep you chained, and by the Gods, I shall!
- Sylvanas Windrunner: The Capital City is ours. But we are no longer part of the Scourge. From here on out, we shall be known as the Forsaken. We will find our own path in this world, Dreadlord, and slaughter anyone who stands in our way!
- Arthas: [snidely] Are you still upset that I took Jaina from you, Kael?
- Kael'thas: You've taken everything from me, Arthas. Vengeance is all I have left now.
World of Warcraft
Four years have passed since the mortal races banded together and stood united against the might of the Burning Legion. Though Azeroth was saved, the tenuous pact between the Horde and the Alliance has all but evaporated. The drums of war thunder once again.
- Maiev Shadowsong, World of Warcraft opening cinematic
Imprisoned for ten thousand years... banished from my own homeland... and now you dare enter my realm? You are not prepared... YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!!!!
- Illidan Stormrage, World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade opening cinematic
My son, the day you were born, the very forests of Lordaeron whispered the name Arthas.
My child, I watched with pride as you grew into a weapon of righteousness.
Remember, our line has always ruled with wisdom and strength.
And I know you will show restraint when exercising your great power.
But the truest victory, my son, is stirring the hearts of your people.
I tell you this, for when my days have come to an end, you shall be King.
- King Terenas Menethil II, World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King cinematic
Young heroes, I was once like you.
You have come to this place seeking to bring judgement upon the damned.
You will venture deep into forgotten lands.
You will see wonders beyond imagining.
But, be warned. The land itself will rise up against you.
Long forgotten terrors will smother your courage.
Sacrifice everything as the final darkness falls...
In the end, all that awaits you is death.
Only then will you understand,
you've been following in my footsteps all along.
So come then, you heroes! Come in all your power and glory!
For in the final hour, all must serve the one... true... king...
- The Lich King, World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King trailer
Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven? Behold now, the terrible vengeance of the Forsaken! Death to the Scourge! And death to the Living! ... Now, all can see. This is the hour of the Forsaken!
- Grand Apothecary Putress at the Wrathgate
Terenas Menethil II: Can you feel it, my son, closing in all around you? The Light's justice has been awakened. The sins of the past have finally caught up to you. You will be called to account for all the atrocities you committed, the unspeakable horrors you have let loose upon this world, and the dark, ancient powers you have enslaved. Though my soul was one of the first to be devoured by your evil, there are thousands more bound within this blade, and they cry out... for release. Look now to your defenses, my son, for the champions of justice gather at your gates!
Lich King: Let them come. Frostmourne hungers!
- World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King patch 3.3 trailer
Lich King: So the Light's vaunted justice has finally arrived? Shall I lay down Frostmourne and throw myself at your mercy, Fordring?
Tirion Fordring: We'll grant you a swift death, Arthas. More than can be said for the thousands you've tortured and slain.
Lich King: You'll learn of that first hand. When my work is complete, you will beg for mercy -- and I will deny you. Your anguished cries will be testament to my unbridled power...
Tirion Fordring: So be it. Champions, attack!
[The Lich King freezes Tirion in a solid block of ice]
Lich King: I'll keep you alive to witness the end, Fordring. I would not want the Light's greatest champion to miss seeing the world remade in my image.
* World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King patch 3.3 cutscene
- [Arthas lies broken and dying on the floor. As he gasps in pain, the shade of his father appears over him]
- Arthas: Father? Is it... over? [Terenas's shade takes his son's hand]
- Terenas Menethil II: At long last. No king rules forever, my son.
- Arthas: I see... only darkness... before me... [Arthas's eyes roll up in his head and he dies. Terenas closes his son's eyes and turns to the waiting Tirion Fordring]
- Terenas Menethil II: Without its master's command, the restless Scourge will become an even greater threat to this world. Control must be maintained... There must always be... a Lich King... [Terenas's ghost vanishes. Tirion picks up Arthas's crown, the Helm of Domination]
- Tirion Fordring: [solemn] The weight of such a burden... ... it must be mine, for there is no other to--
- Bolvar Fordragon: Tirion... You hold a grim destiny in your hands, brother ... but it is not your own.
- Tirion Fordring: Bolvar... [horrified, as he sees Bolvar] By all that is holy...
- [Bolvar is revealed to be burned, scarred, decrepit and corpse-like, as a result of what he suffered at the battle at the Wrathgate]
- Bolvar Fordragon: The dragons' flame... sealed my fate... The world of the living can no longer comfort me. Place the crown upon my head, Tirion. Forevermore - I will be the jailer of the damned.
- Tirion Fordring: NO, old friend... I cannot...
- Bolvar Fordragon: DO IT, TIRION! You and these brave heroes have your own destinies to fulfill. This last act of service... is mine.
- Tirion Fordring:[solemn] You will not be forgotten... brother.
- Bolvar Fordragon: [insistent] I MUST be forgotten, Tirion! If the world is to live free from the tyranny of fear - they must never know what was done here today.
- [Tirion nods and slowly lowers the crown onto Bolvar's head. For a moment, there is silence, then the chamber starts to shake. Bolvar lifts up his head and opens his eyes; there is a flash of golden light, and Bolvar's eyes, and the crown itself, gleam with golden yellow light. As Tirion backs away, ice begins to form around the Frozen Throne]
- Bolvar Fordragon: Tell them only that the Lich King is dead... [his voice acquires the characteristic echo of the Lich King] and that Bolvar Fordragon died with him... [the throne freezes over, completely encasing Bolvar in ice]
- The Lich King: NOW GO. LEAVE THIS PLACE - AND NEVER RETURN.
- World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King patch 3.3 cutscene
Pain... Agony... My hatred burns through the cavernous deeps. The world heaves with my torment. Its wretched kingdoms quake beneath my rage... But at last... The whole of Azeroth will break... And all will burn beneath the shadow of my wings...
- Deathwing, World of Warcraft: Cataclysm opening cinematic
To ask why we fight... ... is to ask why the leaves fall. It is in their nature. Perhaps, there is a better question. Why do we fight? To protect home, and family... to restore balance, and bring harmony. For my kind, the true question is: what is worth fighting for?
- Chen Stormstout, World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria opening cinematic
[Thrall is standing before Garrosh Hellscream, the Warchief of the Horde, at the Inner Sanctum below Orgrimmar]
Thrall: It is not too late, Garrosh. Lay down the mantle of Warchief. We can end this here, now, with no more bloodshed.
Garrosh: Ha! Do you remember nothing of Honor? Of glory on the battlefield? You who would parlay with the humans, who allowed warlocks to practice their dark magics right under our feet. You are weak. We are the Orcish Horde, the True Horde. We die, bloody and thrashing on the field of battle, like true orcs SHOULD. You are an Orc no longer, and speak for none but yourself. You betrayed our people to forge your fragile alliances, and I will take great pleasure in tearing them apart.
Thrall: Then you have forced my hand. I will correct the mistake I made long ago. Spirits of the wind, the earth, the water, hear my call! Come to my aid! [calls the elements to his side, but is surrounded by a dark void]
Garrosh: [laughs] Fool. My Dark Shaman have twisted and tortured the elements for miles around. They cannot hear you now. Once again you prove too weak and powerless to do anything.
Thrall: [casting thunderstorm to escape the void] Never powerless Garrosh. And never alone.
Garrosh: [walking toward Thrall] So, you wish to face off against a real Orc Warchief. So be it.
[Thrall charges at Garrosh. Garrosh parries Thrall's attacks and cleaves him with his axe, Xal'atoh, into the front of the room. Thrall falls to the floor injured]
- World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria patch 5.4 cutscene
[Garrosh lies prone on the ground, defeated. Thrall approaches him]
Thrall: You disappoint me, Garrosh. [Garrosh attempts to rise and looks at him, the Tusks of Mannoroth slipping from his shoulders] You are not worthy of your father's legacy.
[Thrall raises his Doomhammer with both hands and then swings at Garrosh. However, the swing is blocked by Varian Wrynn's sword Shalamayne]
Varian: His punishment is not for you alone to decide.
Thrall: I won't let you take him.
Taran Zhu: We have all suffered from his atrocities. [approaches Thrall and Varian as Lorewalker Cho watches in the background] My people, more than any other. Let him stand trial in Pandaria. There, we will mete out justice for all.
[Varian and Thrall lower their weapons and step back. Taran Zhu binds Garrosh's wrists in chains and leads him away]
- World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria patch 5.4 cinematic
[Varian approaches the Horde contingent. All he can see at the moment are the backs of gathered orc soldiers]
Varian: [to the soldiers] I will speak to your Warchief!
[The orc soldiers step aside, revealing Vol'jin, the new Warchief, in the center, with Thrall off to his left and behind him. Varian looks surprised]
Vol'jin: I speak for the Horde.
[Varian looks at Thrall for a moment, and then returns his attention toward Vol'jin]
Varian: Very well. The Horde has committed heinous crimes, Vol'jin. [thrusts Shalamayne to the ground and then approaches Vol'jin] But some among you fought against Garrosh's tyranny. For that, I am willing to end this bloodshed. But know this... [turns and walks back to Shalamayne] If your Horde fails to uphold honor, as Garrosh did... [pulls Shalamayne out of the floor and turns back to Vol'jin] We will end you.
- World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria patch 5.4 cinematic
We will never be slaves! But we will be conquerors.
- Grommash Hellscream, World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor opening cinematic
[Thrall and Garrosh Hellscream walk toward each other at the Stones of Prophecy in Nagrand.]
Thrall: You must answer for your crimes, Garrosh.
[The fight begins with Garrosh charging at Thrall. They exchange blows.]
Garrosh Hellscream: All I did, I did... FOR THE HORDE!
Thrall: You've failed the Horde!
[Garrosh throws Gorehowl at Thrall, which he deflects, then leaps onto him, landing a punch and grabbing him by the prayer beads.]
Garrosh: You made me warchief... [lands another punch at Thrall, breaking his prayer beads and knocking away his Doomhammer; continues beating him] ...you left me to pick up your pieces... [grabs Thrall] ...YOU FAILED... ME! [throws Thrall down; Thrall gets up and stares at him] You never had the strength of a true warrior.
Thrall: I do not rely on strength alone, Garrosh. My power is all around you.
[Thrall gets up and hits Garrosh with a fireball, launching him into the air, and then slams Garrosh down into the ground with air manipulation. He finally holds Garrosh with a fist made from earth.]
Garrosh: THRALL! YOU made me what I am!
Thrall: No... You chose your own destiny.
[Thrall casts down a bolt of lightning at Garrosh, who screams as he is electrocuted and killed. Afterward, Thrall looks off into the distance, picks up Doomhammer and walks away.]
- World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor cinematic
My son, a terrible darkness has returned to our world. As before, it seeks to annihilate all that we hold dear. I go to face it, knowing I may not return. All my life, I have lived by the sword. I have seen kingdoms burn and watched brave heroes die in vain. It’s been difficult for me to trust after losing so much. But from you, I have learned patience, tolerance, and faith. Anduin, I now believe as you do that peace is the noblest aspiration. But to preserve it, you must be willing to fight!
- Varian Wrynn, World of Warcraft: Legion opening cinematic
[Defeated, Kil'jaeden falls to his knees on the deck of his command ship.]
Kil'jaeden: Our fates are now one. [The ship begins descending towards Argus' surface] Argus will be your tomb.
Khadgar: At least we will have died fighting.
Illidan Stormrage: Our war isn't over yet. [holds up the Sargerite Keystone and charges it] Not while we hold the key to all worlds. [sends the Keystone floating into the Nether; the Keystone warps the space around it before exploding, opening a rift between Argus and Azeroth] Khadgar! Take us home!
[Khadgar channels his teleportation spell. Velen approaches Kil'jaeden.]
Kil'jaeden: I... was always.. envious of you. Your gift. Your faith. Your vision. I never believed... that Sargeras could be stopped. Perhaps... you will prove me wrong.
Khdagar: Everyone! Get ready!
[Velen puts a hand on Kil'jaeden's forehead before Khadgar teleports him back to Azeroth. The fel scars on Kil'jaeden's face spread and then ignite, destroying him and his ship. Meanwhile, Khadgar, Illidan and Velen arrive in Azsuna.]
Khadgar: Is everyone all right?
[A rumbling sound catches Illidan's and Velen's attention. Khadgar follows their gaze, his expression turning into horror as the rift created by the Keystone expands, leaving Argus in the sky above Azeroth.]
Khadgar: [to Illidan] What have you done?!
Illidan: Sometimes the hand of fate... must be forced.
- World of Warcraft: Legion patch 7.2 cinematic
Aman'Thul: You have done well, mortals.
Eonar: It is time.
Aman'Thul: We must gather our strength. Return home, children of Azeroth.
[The Vindicaar is seen teleporting Magni away with Velen watching. Velen turns toward Illidan.]
Velen: Illidan... we've done all we can.
Illidan: [staring at the empty throne belonging to Sargeras] Every choice, every sacrifice has led me to THIS moment. To face HIM once again.
Velen: You... are not coming with us?
Illidan: The hunter is nothing without the hunt. [turns toward Velen] Did you not see this fate, Prophet?
Velen: Fate? Our survival was never in fate's hands. [after smiling at him, Illidan approaches the empty throne] Light be with you, Illidan Stormrage. [is teleported away]
[The Vindicaar leaves the Seat of the Pantheon and travels through the rift back to Azeroth. The Pantheon seat themselves on their thrones and channel their powers, creating a beam that passes the Vindicaar and breaks through the dark cloud surrounding Azeroth.]
Aman'Thul: Brother! Your crusade is over!
[Sargeras is pulled from the dark cloud, roaring with rage, as Magni, Velen and Khadgar watch. Sargeras glares at the beam pulling at him.]
[Sargeras summons a massive sword and stabs it through the atmosphere of Azeroth and deep into its surface as the pull of the Pantheon strengthens. As he is pulled away, he tries to grab the Vindicaar without success before he is teleported into his throne at the Seat of the Pantheon. Illidan stands before him, readying his blades.]
Illidan: At last...
[Meanwhile, the rift between Argus and Azeroth created by the Sargerite Keystone closes, leaving a blinking star in the sky above Azeroth. Velen closes his eyes and sighs. Back on Azeroth, the sword of Sargeras stands above the wound in the world it created in Silithus.]
- World of Warcraft: Legion patch 7.3 cinematic
My father once told me that peace was like a dream... Beautiful. Ephemeral. Unattainable. I didn't listen. No one listened. We've made kindling from our suffering. Stirred the embers of resentment. Just waiting for a single spark to set the whole world aflame. As the Alliance returns to forgotten kingdoms, the Horde seeks the might of an ancient empire. We cannot dream any longer. The time has come to call on allies, willing to join the fight. To rally beneath the banners of a World... ...at War.
- Jaina Proudmoore, World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth trailer
[Varok Saurfang, Thrall, Anduin Wrynn, Saurfang's loyalists and Alliance forces reach the front gate of Orgrimmar.]
Thrall: Varok... it's time.
Varok Saurfang: Those who defend Orgrimmar are Horde as well. Our brothers and sisters.
Thrall: These warriors have sworn to fight. For you. Many lives will be lost.
Varok: Or perhaps... just one. [walks toward the gate] Sylvanas Windrunner! I challenge... Mak'gora!
[The gate opens. Sylvanas Windrunner, the Warchief of the Horde, and her Forsaken banner-carrier walk out through the gate and stop in front of Varok.]
Sylvanas Windrunner: A traitor leading traitors. Why should I accept your challenge?
Varok: You want to make me suffer.
[Sylvanas orders her banner-carrier to hand her two daggers. Thrall hands Varok his axe, Dra'gora.]
Thrall: Brother... you cannot win.
Varok: [places his hand on Thrall's left shoulder] My old friend. You... and I...
Thrall: We don't get to hide.
[Varok nods and looks at Anduin, who approaches him.]
Anduin Wrynn: I set you on this path.
Varok: And we knew where it could lead. Walk with me the rest of the way.
[Anduin unsheathes his sword, Shalamayne, and he takes the sword with his right hand. He then walks toward Sylvanas, with Anduin following. Zekhan runs toward Varok but is stopped by Thrall.]
Varok: Let it be finished.
[Varok charges toward Sylvanas to begin the battle. Sylvanas wounds Varok with several slashes from her daggers. Varok falls to his knees.]
Sylvanas: The High Overlord falls. I trusted you. [Thrall and Zekhan look at Varok] And so did they. Death comes old soldier. And all their hope dies with you.
Varok: You cannot kill hope. [gets up] You tried at Teldrassil. You failed. [begins swinging at Sylvanas, but is parried each time] Hope remains. You set us to kill each other at Lordaeron. You failed. Here we stand. You just keep failing. The Horde will endure. The Horde is strong.
[Sylvanas knocks back Varok, who then splits Shalamayne into Shalla'tor and Ellemayne. He disarms Sylvanas of her right dagger and then slices at her right eye.]
Sylvanas: [recoiling from the attack] The Horde is nothing! [her banner-carrier looks at her] You are all nothing!
Varok: [charges at Sylvanas] For Azeroth! [Sylvanas drops her left dagger and unleashes a stream of dark magic at him, killing him instantly]
Sylvanas: If you could see yourselves as I see you. Toy soldiers in tin plate. Beasts who howl for honor. Standing as one. Savor it... Nothing lasts. [shadowy smoke surrounds her as she transforms into a banshee and flies away]
[Zekhan and Thrall walk toward Varok's corpse.]
Zekhan: What... do we do now?
Thrall: We bring him home.
[Anduin, Thrall and Zekhan lift up Varok's corpse. They turn toward the banner-carrier, who stamps her banner into the ground. The gates open, and Anduin, Thrall and Zekhan carry Varok's corpse into Orgrimmar. Other banner-carriers stamp their banners.]
- World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth patch 8.2 cinematic
Sylvanas Windrunner: Icecrown. A monument to our suffering. [ascends Icecrown Citadel] The veil between life and death... where a usurper sits on a Frozen Throne. [reaches the Frozen Throne, where Bolvar Fordragon, the Lich King, sits] But no king rules forever.
[The Lich King stands, and his eyes change from red to blue as he prepares for battle. The duel between Sylvanas and the Lich King ensues, which ends with Sylvanas subduing the Lich King.]
Sylvanas: You are unfit to wear this crown... [removes the Lich King's crown, the Helm of Domination, from Bolvar, whose eyes turn from blue to red] ...to wield so much power.
Bolvar: That power... will be your prison.
Sylvanas: This world... is a prison. [splits the crown in half, creating a rift in the sky above] And I will set us all... ...free.
- World of Warcraft: Shadowlands opening cinematic
The Jailer of the Damned. A grim task... ...which I have failed. Now the eternal veil screams, torn asunder... by her. Within the Realm of Shadow lies the darkest of terrors... ...which should never be set free. The Shadowlands are infinite. Their terrors and beauty were never meant for mortal eyes. I wonder if they can bear to behold all that awaits them. The denizens of this realm are the key to restoring the balance between life and death... ...if their trust can be earned. Death comes. And the end of everything... ...is just the beginning.
- Bolvar Fordragon, World of Warcraft: Shadowlands trailer
[The Arbiter's orb is taken out of her body, with what's left of it being pulled into the orb. Zovaal, the Jailer, reaches with his hand for the orb while Sylvanas Windrunner lands in front of him.]
Zovaal: At long last, the final key... [the orb, displaying an infinity symbol, inserts itself into his chest] ...is once again... mine. [the giant portal opens behind him] Now... Kneel.
[Zovaal channels an orb of power in his right hand and subdues Bolvar Fordragon, Thrall and Jaina Proudmoore with Domination chains, causing them to drop their weapons and their eyes to turn blue.]
Sylvanas Windrunner: [enraged] The way is open, Zovaal! We already have what we need!
Zovaal: Too long I endured the makers' flawed design. [begins looking at the orb in his right hand] I will forge a new reality, where all shall serve... [Sylvanas closes her eyes as the word "serve" echoes in her mind, back to when the Lich King and Arthas used that word] ...me.
[Sylvanas opens her eyes and fires an arrow at Zovaal, who catches it with his left hand. The arrow dissipates as Zovaal turns toward Sylvanas.]
Sylvanas: I will never "serve".
Zovaal: [after a brief pause] Pity. [Anduin Wrynn, under the Domination of Zovaal, draws his sword, Kingsmourne, and holds Sylvanas at bladepoint; Sylvanas looks at Anduin] Still chained by mortality. [Sylvanas looks again at him] You did help restore something stolen from me. [opens a small portal and pulls Sylvanas' soul fragment crystal from it] Allow me to repay you... [smashes the crystal] ...in kind. [blasts the soul fragment into Sylvanas; Sylvanas drops her bow and falls to her knees] I leave you to their mercy. [the chains around Thrall, Bolvar and Jaina fade as do their blue eye glow; to Anduin] Come. Be the first to witness reality's end.
[Zovaal turns and exits through the portal, Anduin following. Anduin drops his father's compass with his portrait on it. The portal closes. Thrall, Bolvar and Jaina walk toward Sylvanas, who is on her hands and knees. Her eyes have turned blue.]
Sylvanas: [weakly] C-cannot let him reach the... [grunts and falls to her side]
- World of Warcraft: Shadowlands patch 9.1 cinematic
[Anduin Wrynn, under the Domination of Zovaal, the Jailer, swings his sword, Kingsmourne,, destroying the barrier Jaina has erected to protect herself, Uther and Sylvanas Windrunner.]
Zovaal/Anduin Wrynn: Do you not understand? This one is bound to me.
[Anduin plunges Kingsmourne into the ground, releasing a cloud of black smoke that surrounds him.]
Sylvanas Windrunner: [running towards Anduin] Anduin!
[In the smoke, Anduin continues to hold a shaky grip on Kingsmourne. The blue orb on the blade glows.]
Zovaal: Fulfill your final purpose: Annihilation. [Kingsmourne drains the energy from Anduin's face] The fate of all who carry my blade.
[Varian Wrynn places his hand on his son's left shoulder.]
Varian Wrynn: My son. [Anduin looks up at him] This blade does not belong to darkness. It was forged by valor.
[Varok Saurfang places his hand on Anduin's right shoulder.]
Varok Saurfang: And also... [Anduin looks at him] by honor.
Varian: Its legacy, and ours, are with you, even here.
[Varian and Varok grasp Kingsmourne's hilt.]
Varok: Now, let it be finished.
[The hands of Varian and Varok disappear, leaving only Anduin's hands on Kingsmourne. Anduin screams as he splits apart Kingsmourne, restoring it into Shalla'tor and Ellemayne. As he kneels, having returned to normal, his Domination armor fades into smoke. The orb contained in Kingsmourne, a fragment of Arthas Menethil's soul, hovers in front of him. Jaina kneels behind Anduin, placing her hand on his shoulder.]
[Sylvanas and Uther walk up to the soul fragment as well.]
Jaina Proudmoore: Is this all that remains of him?
Uther: The last flicker of his scarred spirit, consumed in the forges of the Jailer.
Sylvanas: No crown. No throne. Not even a soul left for judgement. I hated you, hunted you, and with each selfish act... became you. That is my burden to bear. But your legacy... is at an end. Begone then, Arthas Menethil. May the last whisper of your name fade... and be forgotten.
[The soul fragment shrinks and eventually fades away. Uther closes his eyes and Jaina lowers her head.]
- World of Warcraft: Shadowlands patch 9.2 cinematic
Can your mortal minds fathom how long I have waited? Every event set in motion. Every pawn put into play. All to claim the power slumbering within your world. The soul of Azeroth, wounded, vulnerable, yet teeming with potential. Potential that I will use to eradicate this flawed reality. Death claims the soul of your world. Now bear witness, mortals, to eternity's end.
- Zovaal, World of Warcraft: Shadowlands patch 9.2 cinematic
[After being defeated at the Heart of Eternity, Zovaal, the Jailer, falls to his knees and grunts in pain as his visor starts to melt away like smoke. As Zovaal speaks, images flash by of the rift in the sky above Icecrown Citadel and Zovaal in the Crucible after the death of the Arbiter.]
Zovaal: This... must... not... be...
[The flashback begins in which Zovaal, who is chained and not yet covered in Domination runes, is put on trial in the Crucible.]
Kyrestia: [in flashback] You... [camera shifts to Zovaal's perspective, showing her overhead] have betrayed your duty as Arbiter... [in the present day, Zovaal twists on the ground as more of his armor melts away] and shall be bound forevermore.
Winter Queen: [in flashback] Your madness... [flashback resumes, showing her from Zovaal's perspective] has threatened the cycle of life and death entire.
[Back in the present day, Zovaal's skin also starts to melt away from his chest, hand and face, gradually reversing to a metallic lifeless vessel.]
Denathrius: [in flashback] You could have sought another way, brother. [flashback continues, showing Denathrius stretching down an open hand to Zovaal] Imagine what we could have accomplished together. [closes his fist]
Primus: [in flashback] Why, Zovaal? What drove you to this end?
Zovaal: [in flashback, angrily] You preserve that which is doomed. [concerned] A cosmos divided... will not survive... [flashback ends; in the present day, he has reverted to a lifeless vessel] what is... to come.
[The blue light on Zovaal's eyes fade away. The sigil in the hole at the center of his chest also loses the light, fading into an inert orb. On Azeroth, the light beam shooting up from Icecrown Citadel disappears while the rift in the sky closes quickly until the sky is once again intact.]
- World of Warcraft: Shadowlands patch 9.2 cinematic
Pelagos: Sylvanas Windrunner... The time for your judgment is at hand. [Sylvanas walks toward him, looking at Tyrande Whisperwind, Shandris Feathermoon and Maiev Shadowsong along the way] There can be no true justice without compassion... and I can see your deeds bear the mark of the Jailer's influence. [looks at the projections of Kyrestia and the Winter Queen beside him] An influence we failed to contain.
Sylvanas Windrunner: The Jailer did not control me. My actions were mine alone and I accept their consequences.
Pelagos: Then... you know in your heart, to whom you must answer.
Sylvanas: I submit to the judgment... [looks at Tyrande] of Tyrande Whisperwind.
[The crowd gasps. A few onlookers make confused gestures]
Pelagos: Entrusting justice to your most fervent adversary. Are there any gathered here who object to this fate? [pause. Anduin Wrynn looks conflicted as he stares down while Jaina Proudmoore and Thrall look away] So be it.
[Tyrande walks toward Sylvanas and raises her blade to Sylvanas' throat.]
Tyrande Whisperwind: What game do you play now, Banshee? The Sylvanas I hunted would never submit to the blade of her enemy.
Sylvanas: Death would be a merciful end, Tyrande. And I do not expect your mercy.
Tyrande: [lowering her blade] Your newfound remorse might be genuine... but it can never erase all you have done. There will be no peace for you, Windrunner... until there is peace for the souls of your victims. [walking toward the exit portal, to Shandris and Maiev] The prisoner is in my charge now. Bring her! [Maiev and Shandris walk up to Sylvanas]
- World of Warcraft: Shadowlands patch 9.2 cinematic
[Sylvanas Windrunner is standing at the edge of the Soul Pillar. Tyrande Whisperwind is seen walking towards the edge as her owl, Dori'thur, circles overhead]
Tyrande Whisperwind: Below lies the Maw. An unjust fate to which you doomed so many. [stops at the edge] And it will be there... that your penance begins. [begins walking around Sylvanas] Every soul lost in its depths, betrayed or condemned... you shall find and send forth to the Arbiter to be judged with the compassion all souls deserve. You will toil there, under Dori'thur's watchful eye, scouring every darkened reach, until the final soul is free, and you are all that remains. [walks back toward the others] This... is how you shall bring renewal to your victims, and my people.
Sylvanas Windrunner: However long it takes... it shall be done.
[Tyrande holds out her arm and Dori'thur lands on it.]
Tyrande: [to Dori'thur] Andu-falah-dor, old friend. Watch her well.
[Dori'thur takes flight from Tyrande and begins flying around the Soul Pillar. Sylvanas faces the pillar and then turns toward her sisters. She then leaps into the pillar, with Dori'thur diving down beside her as they both disappear into the Maw.]
- World of Warcraft: Shadowlands patch 9.2 cinematic
His name brought light to darkest Azeroth.
His valor tore the walls of mis'ry down.
The Silver Hand would ne'er do better more
than give the world the knight who'd give himself.
His fame was not that which he sought to grow.
Nor was the lordship over his own kind.
Instead he chose to fight for Lordaeron
to hope his kin would have to fight no more.
The tragic tale of this most holy knight
will never end with his unholy death.
We honor him, and we shall give him thanks!
Uther always shall know glory and light!
- For the Light!, in-game book
His name will not die.
His sacrifice will always serve to show the way.
Shackles once that choked the inhale of honor's breath no longer bind us.
Can you hear his scream?
A battle wail for the Horde: Victory or death!
We must remember his strength in the face of death.
His dream, reality.
Dangers are abound.
Enemies seek to bring us back to the shackles.
When we fight, think of he who did what must be done.
Grom Hellscream, forever!
- The Horde's Hellscream, in-game book
You no take candle!
I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?
- High Overlord Saurfang, in Orgrimmar
- Anar'alah, anar'alah belore (By the light, by the light of the sun)
- Sin'dorei (Children of the blood)
- Shindu fallah na (Our enemies are breaking through)
- Sin'dorei (Children of the blood)
- Anar'alah (By the light)
- Shindu sin'dorei (Failing children of the blood)
- Shindu fallah na (Our enemies are breaking through)
- Sin'dorei (O' Children of the blood)
- Anar'alah belore (By the light of the sun)
- Shindu sin'dorei (Failing children of the blood)
- Shindu fallah na (Our enemies are breaking through)
- Sin'dorei (O' children of the blood)
- Anar'alah belore (By the light of the sun)
- Belore (The sun)
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner singing the 'Lament of the Highborne'
- Hi's planning to take over the world, would you help?.
Too soon! You have awakened me too soon, Executus! What is the meaning of this intrusion?
- Ragnaros, upon being summoned in the Molten Core
You are not prepared!
- Illidan, Burning Crusade opening cinematic
Don't look so smug. I know what you're thinking, but Tempest Keep was merely a setback! Did you honestly believe I would trust the future to some blind, half night-elf mongrel? Hahahaha...oh no no no, he was merely an instrument, a stepping stone to a much larger plan! It has all led to this...and this time, you will not interfere!
- Kael'thas Sunstrider, as a boss encounter for the second time, after being previously killed by players.
Interlopers! You mortals who dare to interfere with my sport will pay. Wait...you...I remember you...in the mountains! But you...what is this?
- Thorim, referring to a previous quest chain in which he was helped by the player. His disorientation is due to the corrupting influence of Yogg-Saron.
We named him Draenosh. It means "heart of Draenor" in orcish. I would not let the warlocks take him. My boy would be safe, hidden away by the elders of Garadar. I made a promise to his mother before she died, that I would cross the Dark Portal alone - whether I lived or died, my son would be safe...untainted. Today, I fulfill that promise.
- Varok Saurfang, upon encountering his son forcibly resurrected into the service of the Lich King. This speech (more than a minute in length) became infamous during the Icecrown Citadel raid as it was unskippable for any and every attempt on the subsequent boss encounter.
- Warcraft Forums
- World of Warcraft Official Site
- The Comprehensive Guide to The World of Warcraft
- Guides, Tips and Tricks as told by a WOW Veteran
- Warcraft News/Community Portal
- Wiki of WoW
- Warcraft News
- World of Warcraft stories