When a Man Loves a Woman (film)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
When a Man Loves a Woman is a 1994 American romantic drama film written by Al Franken and Ronald Bass and starring Andy García, Meg Ryan, Tina Majorino, Mae Whitman, Ellen Burstyn, Lauren Tom and Philip Seymour Hoffman.
Through the good times. Through the bad times. When a Man Loves a Woman it's for all times. (taglines)
- No Michael, we're supposed to try to be real. And when you feel alone, you are not together, and that is real.
- Alice: I think I could love you again if you could, for once, say "I don't know."
- Alice: Fuck that! Fuck making it better. It's not getting better! I don't know how to make it better and I swear to God you don't either!
- Alice: That is a sad little ensemble!
- Michael: My wife is an alcoholic. Best person I ever met. She has 600 different smiles. They can light up your life. Then can make you laugh out loud, just like that. They can even make you cry, just like that. That's just with her smiles. You'd have to see her with her kids. You'd have to see how they look at her, when she's not looking. To think of all the things she lives through, and I couldn't help her.
- Alice: Maybe helping wasn't your job.
- Michael: Well, it wasn't. See, I love her. And I tried everything, except really listening, really listening, and that's how I left her alone. I was so ashamed of that, and I couldn't even tell her. Maybe if I tell her, she'd love me anyway.
- Alice: Or more. She would have loved you even more. I think you should tell all this stuff to your wife.
- Alice: It's horrifying how much you can hate yourself for being low and weak and he couldn't save me from that. So I turned it on him; I tried to empty it onto him. But there was always more, you know. When he tried to help, I told him that he made me feel small and worthless. But nobody makes us feel that, we do that for ourselves. I shut him out because I knew if he ever really saw who I was inside, that he wouldn't love me. And we're separated now, he's moved away, and it was so hard not to beg him to stay. And I don't know if I'm going to get a second chance, but I have to believe. That I deserve one. Because we all do.
- Michael: Come on, let's be real. You're clean. You stay hopeless and confused. Keep polishing those skills. And I'll take the heat. Because I got some needs of my own. When I touch my wife, I like it better if her skin doesn't crawl.
- [Alice tries to interrupt]
- Michael: My wife hurts. I need to be able to say "What's wrong, honey? Something I can do? And I love you. So fuck me."
- Alice: No, Michael. We're supposed to try to be real. And when you feel alone, you are not together, and that is real.
- Alice: I drink a quart a day. It's vodka so you couldn't smell it.
- Alice: It's a press-on tattoo!
- Casey: Cat got your tongue?
- Alice: I'm waiting for my spanking.
- Through the good times. Through the bad times. When a Man Loves a Woman it's for all times.
- What Love Built A Secret Could Destroy...
- Andy García - Michael Green
- Meg Ryan - Alice Green
- Lauren Tom - Amy
- Philip Seymour Hoffman - Gary
- Tina Majorino - Jess Green
- Mae Whitman - Casey Green
- Ellen Burstyn - Emily