This page is a directory of both proprietary and free online resources that may be useful for research purposes. Other lists of resources are below. The page has a section of resources that are offered and one of resources that are wanted. These sections are separated into subsections for specific resource types.
These are not public domain resources. They may be helpful references, but do not copy material directly from these sources. Please provide as much detail as possible about:
- version of the resource
- storage form of the resource (paper, CD-ROM, online archive etc.)
It is assumed that these resources are available to you for free or that you are willing to cover any costs. Users should note that these shared usage offers, unless otherwise noted, are only valid for Wikipedia purposes.
Please add your own resources in the appropriate section.
- Der Spiegel (weekly newsmagazine)
- Konkret (monthly leftist magazine)
- CD-ROM archives 1987-1996: Eloquence
- Taz (daily newspaper)
- Electronic access from 1986 to present: Eloquence
- German news agencies
- Various, electronic access from 1998 to present: Eloquence
- New Scientist (weekly UK science magazine)
- Various Atlantic Canadian newspapers
- Electronic access, 1975 to present (also includes CBC, The Toronto Star and L'Acadie Nouvelle): Stephen Gilbert
- Time (weekly American newsmagazine)
- selected CD-ROM archive, 1923 - 1995: Stephen Gilbert
- The Guinness Book of British Hit Singles 14 edition. Chart positions and dates for all singles which entered the top 75 since the fifties. --bodnotbod 22:43, Jun 3, 2004 (UTC)
- The Globe and Mail (Canadian newspaper)
- The New York Times
- The Times of London
- Encyclopaedia Britannica
- Oxford Reference Online
- Dictionaries on all subjects (no OED, I'm afraid), electronic access: Stephen Gilbert
- The full OED
- CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, 77th edition (1997) (chemical and physical data on just about anything): DrBob
Writing and Publishing
Chicago Manual of Style, 14th edition (1993): Centrx
Oxford Companion to Philosophy (1995): Centrx
A large (150-200 books) private library (print) on the subject 'voyages of discovery'. Especially interesting Raymond John Howgego: Encyclopedia of Exploration to 1800 (2003). - Andre Engels
- United Nations Treaty Collection
- electronic access: Stephen Gilbert
Free online resources
Free online English Language dictionaries:
- Merriam-Webster American English as main entries, but include British English as 'See-also' entries. Dictionary and thesaurus.
- Cambridge Dictionary a British dictionary, also recognises American spellings. Dictionary.
- One click will switch you to one of the following Cambridge dictionaries: American, Learner's, Idioms, Phrasal Verbs, French / English, Spanish / English (just follow the link above).
- One Look To search many online dictionaries at once, great for American and British English, check spellings and definitions. Dictionary and thesaurus.
- Dictionary.com can check American and British spelling - refers to several other dictionaries, this is the spell checker used by Google. Dictionary and thesaurus.
- Online dictionary free multi-lingual online dictionary between English and seven modern languages - Spanish dictionary, French, German, Italian, Russian, Chinese and Japanese dictionary.
- Dictionary Swedish Latin free dictionary for Swedish and Latin.
- Language-reference Cross-foreign-language lexicon powered by its own search engine. All cross combinations between French, German, Italian, Latin and Spanish.
- hypertextbook.com Seems to be a collection of scientific essays written by high school students on various topics. Includes copious references.
- PubMed Entrez Global Query Cross-Database Search System. Free access to biomedical databases: online science textbooks, clinical trials, biomedical literature, Human genome, protein structure, taxonomy, etc. Put out by the National Library of Medicine.
- The Internet Public Library -- not a resource by itself, but a collection of helpful, vetted links to major topics.
- CIA World Factbook - A wealth of facts about each nation of the world.
- Gannett's Resources for Newsrooms - Links to further resources categorised by subject area, eg Crime / Housing / Agriculture...
- BBC Country Profiles - includes audio and video clips.
- Canadian Encyclopedia (also in French)
- Dictionary of Canadian Biography Online - Biographies of people who have had an impact on Canada and who died between 1000 and 1920 or whose last known date of activity falls within these years