Wild Wild West
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Wild Wild West is a 1999 Warner Bros. film about two rival Secret Service agents handpicked by the President of the United States to stop a diabolical mad scientist from killing the President and de-uniting the United States.
- Directed by Barry Sonnenfeld. Produced by Jon Peters and Barry Sonnenfeld. Screenplay by S. S. Wilson & Brent Maddock and Jeffrey Price & Peter S. Seaman. Story by Jim Thomas and John Thomas.
It's a whole new west.(taglines)
James "Jim" T. West
- [introducing himself to Miss East] West... Jim West.
- Nitro?! THIS IS NOT THE WAY YOU TRANSPORT NITRO!
- [revealing himself to be a U.S. Marshal after being mistaken for a girl by Jim West] I'm not a lady, I'm a U.S. Marshal!
- [upon being caught impersonating U.S. President Ulysses S. Grant by Grant himself] President Grant... Sir, these are perilous times. I was merely demonstrating how someone, using the art of disguise could penetrate into the very bowels of the White House, sir.
Dr. Arliss Loveless
- Why y'all look like you've seen a ghost? It's me, dear friends - alive and kicking! Well, alive anyway. [chuckles for a bit] We may have lost the war, but Heaven knows we haven't lost our sense of humor! No, not even when we've lost a lung, a spleen, a bladder, two legs, 35 feet of small intestine and our ability to reproduce... All, in the name of the South! DO WE EVER LOSE OUR SENSE OF HUMOR?!
- [addressing foreign dignitaries at Spider Canyon] Today, I'm proud to be able to sit before y'all and tell you that the wrongs will be righted...the past made present... the United, Divided! [unveils map of a partitioned US and explains it all] Great Britain gets back the 13 original colonies, minus Manhattan. Florida and the Fountain of Youth go back to Spain. Texas, New Mexico, California, Arizona revolve a Mexico. [refers to "Loveless Land" encompassing Oregon, Nevada, Kansas and the Territories of Utah, Washington, Idaho, Colorado, Dakota, Montana, and Nebraska] And a little piece for me to retire on. [guests laugh]
- [Jim West is making out with a girl named Belle at a water tower]
- Belle: The legendary Captain James West, And I finally got him all to myself and surely you should feel free to treat him just...
- Jim West: [finishing her sentence] Bad.
- Belle: Darling...
- Jim West: Hold on to that for me for one second, would you? General McGrath's boys. Waiting for y'all for a week, you show up now. You wouldn't be working up here tonight now, would you? Working? Now would you be working if you were up here with you?
- [CSA General Bloodbath McGrath has just seen a mechanical unit rampage through an encampment of his men]
- Gen Bloodbath McGrath: YOU SAWED-OFF SADISTIC BASTARD, YOU BETRAYED US!
- Dr. Arliss Loveless: My dear General, having donated half of my physical being to create a weapon capable of doing this, how did you and General Lee repay my loyalty? You surrendered at Appomattox! So who betrayed whom? [to Munitia] Munitia, make note the turret speed needs to be accelerated.
- Munitia: [to signaller] Change gear ratio from 2.2 to 2.8.
- Aide: [catching cries of troops] Scream...scream... "Help me." "Do not pull my arm!"
- McGrath: I demand you give the order to stop this slaughter now!
- Loveless: We'll need more loading drills. I hear too much time between screams.
- McGrath: You give them the order to desist!
- Loveless: [observing carnage] I understand your distress, but these men are not dying senselessly. It is for a far greater cause than you can possibly imagine.
- McGrath: [points revolver] You go straight to hell, sir!
- Loveless: After you, sir. [shoots McGrath with rear-firing gun from wheelchair. McGrath dies and Loveless looks back at him] Bloodbath McGrath indeed! [to foreign dignitaries] Well, I think that concludes this night's festivities. Ladies, feed him to the crabs. Gentlemen, since the beginning of written history, a nation's power has been measured by the size of its standing army. Tonight that chapter will be closed. The traditional army, to say nothing of the United States, will become extinct, laid low by a "cripple"- as the general so amusingly implied, and mechanology. But my friends, that tank is just a little hors d'oeuvre compared to what the country's greatest scientists are cooking up for me next. So, if I have piqued your interest, bring one thousand kilograms of your country's gold to Spider Canyon within the next four days. And now if you'll excuse me, I have a tank to catch.
- Will Smith as Captain James "Jim" T. West
- Kevin Kline as US Marshal Artemus Gordon/President Ulysses Grant
- Kenneth Branagh as Dr. Arliss Loveless
- Salma Hayek as Rita Escobar
- Ted Levine as General "Bloodbath" McGrath
- M. Emmet Walsh as Coleman