Witold Pilecki (13 May 1901 – 25 May 1948) was a Polish cavalry captain, the founder of a WWII resistance movement Secret Polish Army ("Tajna Armia Polska"), who deliberately let himself get caught and imprisoned in Auschwitz in order to organize resistance there.
- During the first 3 years at Auschwitz, 2 million people were killed. Over the next 2 years, 3 Million.
- Witold's Report. (1943)
- I found a joy in myself, coming from the awareness that I want to fight.
- Dlatego więc piszę niniejszą petycję,
- By sumą kar wszystkich – mnie tylko karano,
- Bo choćby mi przyszło postradać me życie –
- Tak wolę – niż żyć, a mieć w sercu ranę.
- (Therefore I am writing the present petition/ So that only I may be punished with the sum of all our sentences,/ As—though it would fall upon me to lose my life—/ I prefer it so. —To staying alive with a wound in my heart).
- If Józef Cyrankiewicz finds out I'm here, I'm dead.
- In prison, 1948.
- The game which I was now playing in Auschwitz was dangerous. This sentence does not really convey the reality; in fact, I had gone far beyond what people in the real world consider dangerous.
- I was not a[n intelligence] resident, only a Polish officer. I carried out my orders until arrested. I had no sense that I was a spy, and I ask that this be taken into account in deciding my verdict.
- During his trial, 1948.
- So they didn't let anybody else off. I can't live anymore, they've done me. Auschwitz was just a child's play.
- Having just been sentenced to death, 1948.
- I've been trying to live my life so that in the hour of my death I would rather feel joy, than fear.
- After the announcement of the death sentence.
- Gazeta Wyborcza, Odsłonięto pomnik poświęcony rotmistrzowi Pileckiemu, 25.05.2011 .
- Lawrence W. Reed, Witold Pilecki: Bravery Beyond Measure, 23 October 2015 
- Ewa K. Czaczkowska, Chcą beatyfikacji Pileckiego, Rzeczpospolita. Nr 249 (8150), 24 October 2008, p. A9
- Bartłomiej Kuraś, Witold Pilecki – w Auschwitzu z własnej woli, „Ale Historia”, w: „Gazeta Wyborcza”, 22 kwietnia 2013.