Jump to navigation Jump to search
Yehoshua Sobol (יהושע סובול, born August 24, 1939), is an Israeli playwright and theater director.
|This article on an author is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- The reality of life is becoming more and more complicated to understand and more difficult to cope with. So there is a tendency to regress to the infantile stage in which you look for someone to take responsibility for you. Infantilism is manifested in all sorts of ways, such as the tendency to wrap oneself in a diaper to me, putting on a tallit [prayer shawl] is to wrap oneself in a diaper. For example, stickers that declare, ‘We have no one to rely on but our father in heaven’ and the like. Those slogans have become a national mantra signaling a danger of extinction. The moment a whole nation absolves itself of responsibility to look after itself and believes that there is a higher force that will do it, it can be taken over by all kinds of deviants and crazies.
- as quoted by Cody Ben-Simhon in: (26 July 2012)"In God We Don't Trust: Five Israeli Atheists Bare Their Souls". Haaretz.
- I was shocked to read about the barbaric practice of stoning women to death. I was surprised by its widespread use and by the huge number of women who were stoned to death since the Islamist revolution in Iran and recently in some other countries. But what surprised and shocked me almost to the same extent was the indifference shown by civilized nations and by the liberal democratic western states to this crime against humanity. Regimes that practice this crime of utmost savagery as part of their judicial system should be treated as criminal regimes and should be excluded from the United Nations.
- as quoted by Bill Marx in: Theater Interview: Israeli Dramatist Joshua Sobol on the Shock of "Sinners" (6 February 2013).
- Theatre is almost the last place in the world of culture where living people meet living people.
- Interview with Joshua Sobol In Residence at Israeli Stage. Israeli Stage (6 April 2017). (quote at 11:17 of 18:14)