Young Mr. Lincoln
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The story of Abraham Lincoln that has NEVER been told!
|This film article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- I may not know much of law Mr. Felder, but I know what's right and what's wrong. And I know what you're asking is wrong.
- [Lincoln and Felder are picking jurors for the trial of Matt and Adam Clay]
- John Felder: Mr. Lincoln should know that the mere fact that a prospective juror knows counsel for the state does not disqualify him.
- Abe Lincoln: I know that, John. What I'm afraid of is that some of the jurors might NOT know you... and that'd put me at a great disadvantage.
- Abe Lincoln: [cross-examining Cass] J. Palmer Cass.
- John Palmer Cass: Yes, sir.
- Abe Lincoln: What's the "J" stand for?
- John Palmer Cass: John.
- Abe Lincoln: Anyone ever call you Jack?
- John Palmer Cass: Yeah, but...
- Abe Lincoln: Why "J. Palmer Cass?" Why not "John P. Cass?"
- John Palmer Cass: Well, I...
- Abe Lincoln: Does "J. Palmer Cass" have something to hide?
- John Palmer Cass: No.
- Abe Lincoln: Then what do you part your name in the middle for?
- John Palmer Cass: I got a right to call myself anything I want as long as it's my own name!
- Abe Lincoln: Well then if it's all the same to you, I'll call you Jack Cass.
- [Spectators laugh]
- Abe Lincoln: [questioning Cass about Scrub's death] What were you and Scrub arguing about?
- John Cass: I'd rather not say.
- Abe Lincoln: Oh, you'd rather not say. Well, Jack, I'd rather you did say.
- John Cass: All right. We was arguin' about politics.
- Abe Lincoln: Well, that's something new to argue about.
- John Cass: I've learned some since, but I told Scrub I thought you had at least as much political sense in you as Stephen Douglas. Scrub got as mad as a wet hen and said you didn't!
- Henry Fonda - Abe Lincoln
- Alice Brady - Abigail Clay
- Marjorie Weaver - Mary Todd
- Richard Cromwell - Matt Clay
- Donald Meek - Prosecutor John Felder
- Eddie Quillan - Adam Clay
- Ward Bond - John Palmer Cass
- Pauline Moore - Ann Rutledge