1408 (2007) is a horror film based on a Stephen King short story of the same name. Swedish filmmaker Mikael Håfström is the director. The cast is John Cusack, Samuel L. Jackson and Mary McCormack. The film was released in the US on 22 June 2007.
Mike Enslin 
- [After turning on the lights upon entering Room 1408] This is it?
- Hotel rooms are a naturally creepy place.
- It does have the vague air of menace.
- Let's Encyclopedia Brown this bitch.
- It's not that what I'm seeing is not real. It just ain't as real as it seems.
- [speaking into his recorder as he goes out on the ledge, trying to escape the room] If something should happen, if I should slip and fall, I want it known it was an accident. The room did not win.
- [before throwing the ashtray through the window, thereby letting the room explode] On the shiver scale, I give the Dolphin... ten skulls.
- [speaking nonchalantly to the ghoulish apparition in the vents as the room burns] Keep quiet, you bastard....
Mr. Olin 
- It's an evil fucking room.
- I warned you about 1408.
- Look, I'm not telling you not to stay in that room for your own good or for the profit of the hotel. Frankly, selfishly, I just don't want to clean up the mess.
Lily Enslin 
- Yeah. They're in Room 1408. The room's empty.
- Postcard: Don't enter 1408.
- Workman: I ain't going in this room.
- Radio: We've only just begun. [Song by The Carpenters played on the clock radio, whenever it comes on.]
- Hotel operator: You can choose to relive this hour over and over, or you can take advantage of our express checkout system. (Camera pans out to reveal a noose hanging from the ceiling.)
- The Room: Five. This is five. Ignore the sirens. Even if you leave this room, you can never leave this room. Eight. This is eight. We have killed your friends. Every friend is now dead.
- Fan: So you're saying there's no such things as ghosts.
- Mike: I'm saying I've never seen one. Nothing would make me happier than to experience a paranormal event.
- Hotel operator: That room is not available.
- Mike: ...I didn't tell you which date.
- Mr. Olin: During your investigation did you discover the twenty-two natural deaths that have occurred in 1408?
- Mike Enslin: Natural deaths?
- Mr. Olin: All told, there have been fifty-six deaths in 1408.
- Mike Enslin: Fifty-six? You're shitting me.
- Mike: You're not going anywhere. You're staying here with us.
- Katie: Daddy, everyone dies.
- Mr. Olin: A few years ago a young maid from El Salvador found herself locked in the bathroom. She was only there for a few moments, but when we pulled her out she was...
- Mike Enslin: [sarcastically] She was dead?
- Mr. Olin: No. Blind. She had taken a pair of scissors and gouged her eyes out. She was laughing hysterically.
- Mike Enslin: Why don't you just kill me?
- Room 1408: Because all guests of this hotel enjoy free will, Mr. Enslin. You can choose to relive this hour over and over, or you can take advantage of our express checkout system. (Camera pans out to reveal a noose hanging from the ceiling)
- Mike Enslin: [Olin gives Enslin the room key] Most hotels have switched to magnetics. An actual key. That's a nice touch, it's antiquey.
- Mr. Olin: We have magnetic cards also, but electronics don't seem to work in 1408. Hope you don't have a pacemaker.
- Mike Enslin: [into his tape recorder] General manager claims that the phantom in room interferes...
- Mr. Olin: I have never used the word "phantom".
- Mike Enslin: Oh, I'm sorry. Uh, spirit? Specter?
- Mr. Olin: No, you misunderstand. Whatever's in 1408 is nothing like that.
- Mike Enslin: Then what is it?
- Mr. Olin: It's an evil fucking room.
Quotes about 1408 
- Despite all of these recycled plot elements bobbing around, there's nothing stale about 1408, which is easily the best horror film of 2007.