Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa
Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa is a 2008 sequel to the 2005 film Madagascar about the continuing adventures of Alex the Lion, Gloria the Hippo, Marty the Zebra and Melman the Giraffe. Directed by Eric Darnell and Tom McGrath and written by Etan Cohen. It was distributed by Paramount Pictures, released on November 7, 2008. and released to theaters by DreamWorks Animation.
Alex The Lion
- My name is Alex. Ix! Like New York Knicks!
- How! Me Alex! Me and me friends fly, fly in great metal bird! Then... plummet! [imitates a falling bomb] Smash ground! Go boom! Here we emerge. We offer only happiness and good greetings.
- Apparently, lions don't dance.
- If you're in Manhattan, feel free to look us up!
- (To Marty) I broke your iPod!
- (To Marty when the plane's crashing) I'd just like to say Marty, You are truly a one in a million friend!
Moto Moto the Hippo
- I like 'em big... I like 'em Chunky...
- So nice, you gotta say it twice (holds up 3 fingers - in reference to his name)
Marty the Zebra
- That is definitely not Crackalackin!
Gloria the Hippo
- Who's your friend, or is that your butt?
- Hey, I can live with that.
- Manhattan is short on two things, parking and hippos
- New York City, here we come baby!
Melman the Giraffe
- I've had a brainwave! Instead of going back, we could relax here for a few months!
- Listen, "Mototo". You love that perfect woman, okay?
- (hang from the light-fixture) You, inflight slave... Bring me my nuts on a silver platter.
- My sacrifice goes in the volcano. Then, the friendly Gods eat up my sacrifice... "Mmm, very nice, thank you for the sacrifice..." "Please have another sacrifice!" "No, I've had enough for today..." "Listen I'm gonna be very insulted unless you have another." "I don't WANT ANOTHER SACRIFICE OK!?!?" "Look at you, you look skinny!" "No, I THINK I'VE HAD ENOUGH, IS THAT CLEAR?!"~ (Explaining the concept of sacrifice)
- -"The gods eat the sacrifice, they are grateful. They give me some of the water, and I give it to you."-
Female Dik Dik: Does it work? Julien: "No! I mean, yes. Well, uh, Maurice?" Maurice: "Eh...50/50."
- (Wearing coconut bra, dancing) Yeah I'm A Lady, I'm a Lady! (Quickly pulls bra away from body, showing his chest) Not Really... Its me, king Julien! Now, which of you is attracted to me?
- If I, King Julien (that's my name), only had two days left to live, I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler. I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it. (Makes fart sounds, spits attempting to whistle) And you know what else I would do? I would... invade a neighboring country and impose my own ideology even if they didn't want it!.
- You're just a sad little head
- Oh, who would leave a perfectly good head here
- Such a happy little head...
- What is that you're saying, Stevie? (Stevie licking in Julien's ear) Oh! Oh! Oh, huhu! No! *deep breath* Wait wait wait! NO, you didn't say that, how's that even POSSIBLE?! You NAUGHTY little THING!
- Quick, to the volcano, before we all come to our senses!
- Oh, suddenly throwing a giraffe into a volcano to make water is crazy?
- Well, you've got to march right up to this woman, right? You look her right in the eye, you lean forward, right, just a little, just almost all the way, hm, then you let her lean forward just another little bit 'til you're just a lips distance away from each other, hm, and then you just tell her... how much you hate her.
- (Aboard the plane, watching the television with Maurice in a room) Ha Ha, this is so funny, I like laughing! Its such a nice experience! (Melman enters) Excuse me, this is first class, its nothing personal, it's just that we're better than you
- (To Maurice when the plane is crash landing and everyone is screaming) Raise your arms Maurice! It's more fun when you raise your hands like this (in reference to the feeling of weightlessness)
- (Just before entering the plane on Madagascar) Hey freaks, you will be glad to know that I will be going with you (Alex : Uh!, No thank you) Hmm, yes thank you, it's my plane
- "(After being blown out of plane and deploying parachute)" I can fly!
- "(After being blown out of plane and deploying parachute)" LONG LIVE ME!!!!
Nana (the old lady)
- Bring it on!
- Bad kitty.
- We're New Yorkers. When we need food, we hunt for a decent hot dog stand ! . When we need water, we build a dam ! . when we need shelter, we build skyscrapers!
- (Sees Makunga with her handbag and gasps) My handbag! You bad kitty!
- Attention passengers, this is your captain speaking. I've got good news and bad news. The good news is we're landing immediately. The bad news? We're crash-landing. (Plane begins to fall) When it comes to air-travel, we know you have no choice whatsoever. But thank you for flying Air Penguin!
- I'm trying! Can't you see these commies have my hands tied!
- Maternity leave?! You're all males!
- Reverse. Gas. Music.
- (to the doll, during the plane dive) My goodness, Doll, you're shaking like a leaf. (turning) Rico! You had your fun. Pull up!
- (to Rico as they try to land) Gently now. You just wanna kiss the ground. Just a little peck, a smooch like you're kissing your sister. (plane slams against the ground and the wooden landing gear breaks off) I said kiss it!
- Men, there is no sacrifice greater than someone elses
- In case of a loss of cabin pressure, place the mask over your face [puts on mask & begins speaking indistinctly] to hide your terrified expression away from the other passengers.
- If the event of a water emergency, place the life vest over your head and kiss your [pulls on tab, causing life vest to explode] goodbye.
- May I kiss the bride, Skipper
- Alex: I like to move it, move it!
- Gloria: He likes to move it, move it!
- Marty: She likes to move it, move it!
- Melman: We like to...
- Lemurs: MOVE IT! [begin celebrating]
- [looking out over the African plain]
- Gloria: Am I trippin'?
- Marty: Look at all the zebras! Like me! Where are we?
- Melman: San Diego. This time I'm forty percent sure.
- Alex: I know this place.
- Marty: I think its Africa. Our ancestral grid! It's in our blood, I can feel it!
- Alex: No, no. It's more than that. It's like, deja vu, like I've... like I've been here before.
- Marty: It's like Roots!
- Alex: (dazed) No, no. It's like, deja vu, like I've... like I've been here before.
- Julien: What ever happened to the separation of the classes?
- Maurice: Don't worry, I'm sure this democracy thing is just a fad.
- Gloria: Is this place great, or what?
- Alex: I'd go with 'or what.'
- Marty (kid): I think he's a bit of a show off.
- Alex: She's got a gun! Let's get out while we can! Pass it on.
- [chimpanzees chatter the message all the way up the chain]
- Mason: He said, 'Let's have some fun and take out the dam. Basset hound.'
- Alex: Tell them, no! Pull up! They'll kill us! There's got to be another way! Pass it on.
- [The chimpanzes chatter the message all the way up the chain]
- Mason: They said, 'No pull up, kill us! There's no other way. Basset Hound.'
- Marty: Are you sure?
- [Makunga encounters Zuba in a flashback]
- Makunga: Look at it this way. After I defeat you and take your place as alpha lion, you'll have that much more time to spend with your pathetic excuse of a son.
- Zuba: Before I kick your butt again, tell me why you want to be alpha lion?
- Makunga: I'm better looking, I have better hair, I'm deceitfully smart, and I want everyone to do what I say.
- [The red bulb on the plane's fuel guage is flashing]
- Kowalski: Skipper, look.
- Skipper: Analysis.
- Kowalski: It looks like a small incandescent bulb, designed to indicate something out of the ordinary, like a malfunction.
- Skipper: I find it pretty and somewhat hypnotic.
- Kowalski: That too, sir.
- Skipper: Right. Rico, manual! [catches the manual and promptly smashes the bulb with it] Problemo solved.
- Kowalski: Sir, we may be out of fuel.
- Skipper: What makes you think that?
- Kowalski: We've lost engine 1, [out the left window, engine #1 sputters out] and engine two is no longer on fire. [out the right window, engine stops smoking and sputters]
- Skipper: Buckle up, boys. [covers the "Doll" head] Don't look, doll, this might get hairy. [on the intercom] This is your captain speaking. I have good news and bad news. The good news is that we will be landing immediately. [everyone said "Yes."] The bad news is, we're crash landing. [plane halts] When it comes to air travel, we know that you have no choice whatsoever! But thanks again for choosing Air Penguin!
- [Private is giving a safety demonstration to the passengers]
- Private: [shows life vest] In the event of a water emergency, place the vest over your head, and kiss your [pulls on the red tab, causing the vest to inflate and explode] goodbye.
- [The penguins in the cockpit make several announcements while Mort tries to get in but gets blown away]
- Private: In case of a loss in cabin pressure, place the mask over your face [places oxygen mask over his face, muffling his voice] to hide your terrified expression from the other passengers.
- Marty: [showing his detached seatbelt] Excuse me, miss, but aren't these supposed to be attached to my seat?
- Private: [removes the mask] No sir.
- Skipper: [speaking about how long it will take to repair the plane] It will take six to nine months.
- Alex: Sixty-nine months?!
- Skipper: No, six TO nine months.
- [The union monkeys have gone on strike. Mason and Phil are with Skipper at the negotiating table]
- Mason: The plane won't be fixed until the suits meet our demands. Now, about maternity leave.
- Skipper: Maternity leave? [glances under the table] You're all male...
- Marty: Look, we need that plane for a rescue mission.
- Skipper: Well, there's nothing I can do until we bust up this union.
- Gloria: I'm gonna get to bustin' up all you if you don't get this plane going!
- Skipper: Can't you see these commies have my hands tied, here? NO maternity leave! [Mason nudges Phil, who pulls out incriminating photos of Skipper and "Doll" in compromising positions]
- Mason: Maybe a certain someone wouldn't want these blowing around the savanna?
- Skipper: [reluctantly] All right, you get your maternity leave.
- This, along with Soul Men, was Bernie Mac's last film performance. Therefore, this film is dedicated to him. The credits include a dedication: "For our friend Bernie Mac. Thanks for all the laughter."
- Alex's family birth-mark is shaped like the continent of Africa, including the island of Madagascar. The birth-mark was not visible in first Madagascar movie.
- The aircraft used in the escape attempt is based on a Lockheed L-10 Electra, similar to one used by Amelia Earhart.
- Ben Stiller as Alex the Lion
- Chris Rock as Marty the Zebra
- David Schwimmer as Melman the Giraffe
- Jada Pinkett Smith as Gloria the Hippopotamus
- Cedric the Entertainer as Maurice the Aye-aye
- Andy Richter as Mort the Pygmy Mouse Lemur
- Sacha Baron Cohen as King Julien the Ring-Tailed Lemur
- Tom McGrath as Skipper the Penguin
- Chris Miller as Kowalski the Penguin
- Christopher Knights as Private the Penguin
- John DiMaggio as Rico the Penguin
- Conrad Vernon as Mason the Chimpanzee
- Elisa Gabrielli as Nana the Old Lady
- Bernie Mac as Zuba, Alex's dad
- Sherri Shepherd as Florrie, Alex's mom
- Alec Baldwin as Makunga, Alex's uncle
- will.i.am as Moto-Moto
- Tiny Lister as Teetsi
- Stacy Ferguson as Hippo Girlfriend
- Harland Williams as Additional Giraffe
- Kathryn Feller as Ostrich #1
- Declan Swift as Baby Alex
- Thomas Stanley as Baby Marty
- Willow Smith as Baby Gloria
- Zachary Gordon as Baby Melman
- Beth Hilton. "Baldwin and will.i.am join Madagascar". Digital Spy. Retrieved on 2008-06-05.