Sri Lanka, officially the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka, is an island country in the northern Indian Ocean off the southern coast of the Indian subcontinent in South Asia; known until 1972 as Ceylon, Sri Lanka has maritime borders with India to the northwest and the Maldives to the southwest.
- We should be less concerned about adding years to life, and more about adding life to years. I have been very fortunate to have witnessed some of humanity's greatest achievements during the 20th century that is nearing its end. Yet we must admit that it has also been the most savage century in the history of our kind. If I can have one more wish, I want to see lasting and meaningful peace achieved in Sri Lanka as early as possible. But I am aware that peace cannot just be wished; it involves hard work, courage and persistence.
As we welcome 2001, let us harness our collective energies to create a culture of peace and a land of prosperity.
- Arthur C. Clarke, as quoted in the "Sri Lanka" in Sunday Times (31 December 2000)
- My country has been influenced by the core Buddhist values of non-violence, loving kindness, compassion, equanimity and mindfulness. With this sense of direction, our Government has committed itself "Towards a new Sri Lanka", guided by a vision of peace, where every Sri Lankan citizen may live with dignity and self-respect, in freedom and without fear, free of want, and where every child may enjoy childhood and grow up with hope and expectation.
- As far as tourists are concerned they have various destinations they can choose for their holiday. No tourist will come to a country where violence is taking place.
- Seenivasagham Kaliselvam, Sri Lanka Tourist Board, quoted on BBC News, "Shadow hangs over Sri Lanka tourism", February 17, 2006.
- I can sing about songs with gunshots in the background because I heard them. It's almost like my music has been a way to smoke out the hatred that's been bubbling underneath what's going on in Sri Lanka. If there's 300,000 people who are trapped and they're dying, it should be talked about, it should be brought to the table, and I don't see anything wrong in sticking up for 300,000 dying people.
- We have been a country where people just came in and went out. And that was a very, very healthy way of running our tourism. So this is new to Sri Lanka. So we are anxious to see how it works.
- Hiran Cooray, chairman of a highly successful Sri Lankan luxury chain, Jetwing Hotels, quoted on BBC News, "Sri Lanka visas: Tourist industry concerned", October 10, 2011.
- Had he come we would have been really happy. This decision is taken because of [India's] internal political reasons, but it will not affect the success of this programme, we don't think it is a problem.
- Sri Lankan Foreign Minister, GL Pieris, told the BBC on Sunday that Mr Singh's decision was "not a defeat for us", quoted on BBC News, "India PM to boycott Sri Lanka Commonwealth summit", November 10, 2013.
- Now we are vacating our backyard for the Chinese to rebuild all of a booming post-war Sri Lanka
- influential columnist and editor, Shekhar Gupta, wrote in the Indian Express newspaper, quoted on BBC News, "India PM to boycott Sri Lanka Commonwealth summit", November 10, 2013.
- The fact is about this country that there is a chance of success because the war is over, the terrorism has finished, the fighting is done. Now what's needed is generosity and magnanimity from the Sri Lankan government to bring the country together. And I think coming here, listening to these people, hearing these arguments, helps to draw attention to their plight. I think the spotlight has been shone on Sri Lanka and people can see the good and the bad.
- David Cameron, quoted on BBC News, "Sri Lanka: Cameron in 'robust' talks over human rights", November 15, 2013.
- I had a choice at this summit to stay away and allow President Rajapaksa to set the agenda he wanted or to go and shape the agenda by advancing our interests with our Commonwealth partners. I chose to go, to stand up for our values and do all I could to advance them. That was, I believe, the right decision for the Commonwealth, Sri Lanka and for Britain.
- The potential for tourism in Sri Lanka is huge. International arrivals are multiplying year after year, and with all parts of this beautiful island now open to tourists, the country offers incredible opportunities. We look forward to playing a major role in the country's bright future.
- Glenn de Souza, Vice President of International Operations for Asia & the Middle East, on Sri Lanka's tourism, quoted on Hotel News Resources, "Best Western Identifies Sri Lanka and Bangladesh As Key Growth Markets", January 29, 2014.
- As illustrated on the attached map from Hofstra University, the island nation of Sri Lanka is astride the main maritime trade routes of the Indian Ocean, with fast-growing economic and strategic significance as that area of the world experiences rapid growth. China is making major inroads already in Sri Lanka, but our distinguished visitors wish to make sure that relations with the United States are improved even more strongly.
- Mr Ajith Nivard Cabraal the governor of Central Bank of Sri Lanka and Lalith Weeratuga sending a letter, quoted on Tamil Net, "Colombo bargains China connections in return for US favour", February 2, 2014.
- ... he (Ambassador Rapp) listened to eyewitness accounts about serious human rights abuses and violations of international humanitarian law, including those that occurred at the end of the war. In that context the government of the United States encourages the government of Sri Lanka to seek the truth through independent and credible investigations, and where relevant, have prosecutions.
- The American Embassy in Sri Lanka, quoted on Eurasia News, "Sri Lanka: The Heat Is On Colombo In Run Up To Geneva – Analysis", February 10, 2014.