Question & Answer
- Q: Are these quotes from the manga or anime? I've read all the manga and some of these quotes look incorrect to me. Also some are pretty lame and not quotable.
- ♦A: Under the assumption that what was here when I started were quotes from the manga, I have added a whole section of quotes from the anime series. -Philos
- Q: Also could someone explain the significance of the numbers next to the quotes? Thanks.
- ♦A: Seems the numbers refer to the chapter the quote appears in the manga series. -Philos
- Q: Does anybody have the exchange between Light and Near at the Yellow Box Warehouse about what constitutes a murderer?
- ♦A: Working on it.. :) -Philos
- Q: Does including Mellow, Near, L's actual names qualify as a spoiler?
- ♦A: I would say no, that seems backwards to me. Assuming someone is looking up quotes from the series, you would expect them to have seen it in it's entirety and therefore not subject to spoilers. Additionally, the quotes themselves are chocked full of spoilers... so yea... if you are worried about spoilers, don't read online about said subject... -Philos
Mistaken quote about apples
Just one quote mistake I picked up... "L, Do you know? Shinigami Only eat Apples." In the manga this is "L, Do You know Gods Of Death Love Apples?" Check the 2nd Volume of the english manga if you don't believe me.
Anwsers about Quotes
Just one thing. 'Shinigami' is the jappanesse for 'God of Death'. However i don't understand the numbers in the quotes.
- Yes, I know. (I'm the person from the first comment.) I think i'm going to clean this up with quotes from the MANGA and ENGLISH DUBBED ANIME. Fansubs aren't a reliable source. Sorry, purists. If you're so PURE you'll see how badly written this article is. Goodbye. 184.108.40.206 10:22, 16 April 2008 (UTC)
Cleaned up the Light section a bit. Will work on the rest when I have time. And this person above me is right. There are many unworthy quotes on this page. RecklessFire 00:53, 8 November 2008 (UTC)
- I removed a few quotes from the Light and L section but I'd like someone to review it (in case I removed quotes that are actually notable). I'll start on the other sections when I've finished my ongoing cleanups on some other pages. Raisin56 10:03, 19 April 2010 (UTC)
Quotes are a bit short...
I noticed most of the quotes are one-liners. For a series that's so dialogue-heavy, I would've figured thered be longer lines. Well, that and how a lot of the quotes are split up. (For instance, a bunch of them quoted to Matsuda were all spoken at once and thus should be one quote.)
I only have Volume 1 of the manga and I saw the show through Adult Swim's first run andsubsequent runs irregularly, so it would be hard for me to compile quotes and fix this up, though I might be able to do what I can with the volumes and episodes I do have. Let me guess--the number after the quotes are the manga chapters they're in, correct?
Also, a suggestion here: I think it would be better if the quotes were arranged by themes rather than by character (such as human significance, power, love, authority, intelligence, morality, government, etc.). I don't know about you, but the Death Note fans I've encountered tend to quote based more on the themes of the series than in attempts to imitate their characters.
One last thing...Does anybody have the exchange between Light and Near at the Yellow Box Warehouse about what constitutes a murderer? I heard it was cut down drastically in the anime and that in the manga, it's a lot more played out. 220.127.116.11 08:32, 6 July 2009 (UTC)
I have come to salvage this page... please help
I am currently re-watching the english dubbed anime series, and will be adding large amounts of quotes to this page over the course of the next several weeks
Please do what you can to review the recent changes and also leave more feedback and/or suggestions here and I will be sure to implement the good ones :)
-Philos 04:45, 29 March 2012 (UTC)
This Article has been cleaned up
I have basically finished cleaning up the page... all that is left now is to fill in more quotes from more characters, which is the most time consuming process... so any help here would be sweet, also some other people's judgement on which quotes are worth having on here would be nice -Philos 21:03, 2 April 2012 (UTC)
- If anyone would help add some interesting quotes that would be sweet, I have added quotes from about 25% of the episodes, and will eventually get around to completing all of them, however, as of late, I have been busy with other things... --Philosophios (talk) 03:08, 19 April 2012 (UTC)
For the record, these are the quotes that I've just removed from various sections of the main article, due to lack of notability (at least without further details):
- "You're the only one for me." (34 - Vigilance)
- "You're making this difficult." (20 - Makeshift)
- "We're gonna try, no matter how difficult." (34 - Vigilance)
- "Is he talking to himself...?" (51)
- "Don't make me repeat myself." (95)
- "So I'm you."
- "By trying too hard, we put ourselves at a greater risk. Don't you think so?" (38)
- "That hurts." (38)
- "I was playing cynical back then." (39)
- "Yay. Fabulous."
- "One for one"
- "Masuda is being stupid again"
- "And that's precisely why it's so convenient don't you think?!" (63)
- "You let them take it from right under your nose." (65)
- "It's not whether it's feasible or not - it's what I'm doing." (65)
- "I don't feel like doing that, L." (66)
- "I believe I'm being as clear as possible here." (66)
- "He became a murderer the moment he killed the pilot." (67)
- "...It was on purpose. He was taunting me, so to speak." (67)
- "I won't skip!" (75)
- "Like hell you do." (56)
- "Well see, it's rather complicated at the moment." (60)
- "I don't want to be asked." (78)
- "Understood." (when being told by Mello to watch Mogi) (83)
- Matt: The person who lives in the room Mogi entered is a young woman... or a child-like woman.
Mello: A woman?
Matt: She looks like Mogi's girlfriend... she went shopping arm in arm with him. It may be strange for me to say this, but she's a pretty cute Japanese woman. I can't be sure of her age, but I'd say from fourteen or fifteen to twenty.
Mello: ... Are you serious, Matt?
Matt: Yeah, I'm dead serious.
Mello: (thinking) If I believe what Hal said, this woman is the second Kira... At least she must have been the second Kira... (speaking) Understood. I can't make a stupid move. You begin.
Mello: (calls Matt on his cell phone) Matt, how are you doing?
Matt: Bored out of my mind! No movement at all. Currently, they have their food delivered to them by stores, and both Aizawa and another Japanese man who entered a while ago still haven't come out yet. Because they haven't come out, I can suspect this place is their headquarters... Anyway, it's too boring to keep watching something that has no movement.
Mello: Don't complain. It's the same here. Plus, if L is at your place, it's likely that they've moved thinking Aizawa was tailed by SPK and that their hideout's known. Stay alert, or you might be tricked.
Matt: Then why don't we swap our jobs? Yours would be better, since you can listen secretly to a cute girl...
Mello: (after being called on his cell phone) What happened, Matt?
Matt: Mogi and Aizawa have come out. I can't hear what they're talking about, but that have a grim expression that seems quite unnatural to be having when chatting outside.
Mello: Understood. Keep an eye on them anyway.
Mello: (after being called on his cell phone) What's going on, Matt? Mogi's in LAX.
Matt: Shit! I was tricked. They paid off the deliveryman who carried in food yesterday and got out with their equipment on the delivery truck. A moment ago, I caught the deliveryman when he came out counting lots of bills joyfully and asked him. I found the room empty and I don't know how many there were. I've been watching through video cameras on all the doorways and windows, but they hid themselves cunningly behind the door of the delivery truck... damn them...
Mello: (thinking) I warned him not to let down his guard... (speaking) Matt, I'm going to Japan after Mogi. You come later, too.
Matt: Huh? Japan? you mean it?
Fwiw, the original comic and series were both in Japanese. There is no reason to keep misspellings, comma splices, and other misc. errors from the fansubs or even official versions. Just clean them up.
I've added a cleanup tag for the following reasons: first, the page should probably be split in two (one for the anime and one for the manga); second, for both the manga and the anime, the quotes should not be sorted by character, but rather by episode/issue in a chronological manner. ~ UDScott (talk) 15:50, 25 April 2013 (UTC)
- I plan on doing a proper cleanup of this page next summer, if it doesn't get done till then. (I have already tried to do it before, but eventually gave up because it was really taking too long a time). ~ DanielTom (talk) 15:59, 25 April 2013 (UTC)
- I can see your point about arranging it by chronology but, given that the manga and anime cover (nearly) exactly the same ground, it's better to just leave the page unified and overlap the citations. Also, the 'Rules' section should be separate for ease of use. — lly
- Hm... Maybe not... There are some differences. Look here at Death_Note/rewrite and lemme know if you think the similar scenes should be placed together or left separate. If we unified the scenes we could use something like M (manga), D (English dubbed anime), T (translated anime) markers after a quote to show if something appeared only in one and not the other. — lly
- For both the manga and the anime (separately, whether by section or by article), the quotes should be organized by serial issue/episode. Please do not break up and interleave quotes from serial productions.
Regarding derivative works that cover the same ground: original quotes should be credited to the original work, and if the derivative work adds nothing original, or adds only less quoteworthy filler, then it does not need to be quoted. ~ Ningauble (talk) 14:37, 26 April 2013 (UTC)