The Aviator is an Academy Award-winning 2004 biographical drama film, directed by Martin Scorsese. It is a biopic of the aviation pioneer Howard Hughes, following his life from the late 1920s through the 1940s, a time when Hughes was directing and producing Hollywood movies as well as test piloting his own groundbreaking new aircraft, all while dealing with severe obsessive-compulsive disorder.
Howard Hughes 
- You are just hittin' on all six cylinders aren't'cha? My God. W-would you do me one favor? Would you just smile for me one time, just once? Yeah, see you got a short upper lip...makes for a much nicer smile. See I wonder what'd give a beautiful woman like you pleasure. I mean say you're just standing there, right and I just- I just touch like that... with my fingertips. Do- Do you like that? Do you? See, I wanna learn what pleases you. I wanna learn everything about you. Would you let me do that? Would you give me that job?
- Tell Jimmy I want ten chocolate chip cookies, medium chips, none too close to the outside.
- She'll go faster.
- The XF-11! She's a spy-plane really. Designed every inch of her myself. She's got a top speed of 350 which means she can outrun anything they throw against her. Yeah, after the Japs stole my H-1 design for their goddamn zeroes I figure I'd better do 'em one better. Yeah, she's my Buck Rogers ship.
- (In front of the Motion Picture Censorship Board) Good to see you, Mr. Breen. Gentlemen, it's good to see you- I haven't seen you all since that issue with all the violence in Scarface. The problem here seems to revolve around Ms. Russell's mammaries, is that correct? Mr. Breen feels that they are too prominant, yes? More prominant than other mammaries have been up on the screen? Well... we hope to dispel that notion. Jean Harlow. Anne Sheridan. Irene Dunn. Claudette Colbert, Rita Hayworth, Bette Grable... and the lovely Ms. Jane Russell. Now all of these photos- save for Ms. Russell's- have been enlarged from pictures that received Mr. Breen's seal of approval... and as you can see they all contain mammaries. At this point I'd like to introduce my assisstant, Dr. Ludlow Branson. Dr. Branson is a mathematician of some note...yes. And he will prove that, in fact, Ms. Russell's mammaries are no more prominant than any of these other fine ladies. Doctor? Doctor... you forgot your calipers.
- Quarantine. Q-u-a-r-a-n-t-i-n-e. Quarantine.
- Sh- Show me all the blueprints, Odie. Show me all the blueprints... (Lower) Show me all the blueprints. I'm serious now- show me all the blueprints... ... ... Show me all the bl- Show me all the blueprints. Show me all the blueprints. Show me all the blueprints show me all the blueprints. Show me all the blueprints. (clears throat) I wanna get it done right so show me all the blueprints. Show me all the blueprints. Show me all the blueprints show me all the blueprints.
- Orange juice has... nutritional value. There's some... flies... outside the window. Little Howard likes... citrus. Don't he just.
- Tell Juan Trippe something for me. Tell him thanks for the flowers. And he can kiss... both sides... of my ass.
- I sleep...in this room...in the dark. I have a place I can sleep. I have a chair. That's just beautiful. Oh, yeah. I like the desert. It's hot there in the desert, but it's clean. It's clean. I need to sleep. I should drink something first. I should have some... some milk. Wait a minute... what if that milk is sour? That milk is bad I shouldn't pick up the bottle with my right hand. And I shouldn't take the top off with my left...put it in my pocket. My left pocket.
- Now needless to say the Hercules was a monumental undertaking; it is the largest plane ever built. It stands three stories high with a wingspan longer than a football field, that's more than a city block! Now I put the sweat of my life into this thing, I got my reputation all rolled up in it, and I have said several times that if the Hercules fails to fly, I will leave this country and never come back... and I mean it!
- [to Katharine Hepburn] You come out of the blue and tell me your leavin' me and have you have the nerve to expect graciousness?!
- The way of the future. The way of the future. The way of the future. The way of the future. The way of the future.
Katharine Hepburn 
- Do your worst, Mr. Hughes!
- You see, Howard, we're not like everyone else. Too many acute angles. Too many... eccentricities. We have to be very careful not to let people in or they'll make us into freaks.
- Ha! Men can't be friends with women. They must possess them or leave them be. It's a primitive urge from caveman days. It's all in Darwin: Hunt the flesh, kill the flesh, eat the flesh. That's the male sex all over.
- Can't you eat ice cream out of a bowl like everyone else in the world?!
- There's too much Howard Hughes in Howard Hughes. That's the trouble.
Noah Dietrich 
- Now, it's been a great ride. We've had a hell of a lot of fun. But you're losing $25,000 a day doing this. Every day.
- Now I'm glad Jack is feeling so sunny about this, but I've seen the books. Now, I'm not just crying wolf this time; we're in serious trouble! You've gotta make a choice. You want to be bankrupted by the big plane or by the big airline?
- You just placed the largest order for planes in the history of the damned planet, Howard!
- Allene Hughes: Q-u-a-r-a-n-t-i-n-e.
- Young Howard Hughes: Quarantine. Q-u-a-r-a-n-t-i-n-e. Quarantine.
- Frank: You may be directing this movie, Howard. But what you're asking- we can't do it!
- Howard: Don't tell me I can't do it; don't tell me it can't be done!
- Frank: The gyro forces are too much here. You send these planes into simultaneous barrel roles they won't make it!
- Howard: It's the goddamn climax of the picture Frank, all right, you make it work! Look decrease the vertical trajectory if you have to a Le Rhône rotary won't stall at 60 degrees- I've done it!
- Advisor: Howard, we need to cut that sequence down, we don't have enough cameras.
- Howard: No, no we're not cuttin' anything! I'll get those extra cameras, set up for rehearsal's in five!
- [off-screen]: Howard, this is Mr. Dietrich.
- Howard: Dietrich. You're man on the come! I read your resume and talked to your references. You know what I'm lookin' for?!
- Noah Dietrich: Well as I understand it you're looking for a second-in-command at Hughes Tools; someone to oversee the financial aspects of the business-
- Howard: Yeah, I'm lookin' for somebody to run it and do a damn good job. Look, there's really only one thing you gotta know! My folks... they're gone now! So it's my money! Now what I choose to do with that money may seem crazy to those sons-a-bitches in Houston — and I'm sure as hell it does — but it all makes good sense to me, you got that?
- Noah: Got it.
- Howard: Good. Now you made what uh... five thousand dollars a year your last job; I'll pay you ten thousand!
- Noah: Guess I'll be working twice as hard!
- Howard: You'll be workin' four times as hard; I just got you half price, Mr. Dietrich. Welcome aboard. You're my voice now, make 'em understand that- look, some of those fine folks down there still callin' me Junior. You tell 'em its Mister Hughes now!
- Noah: So when do we go to Houston?
- Howard: We don't. Cholera epidemic in 1913, two thousand dead; whole place is nothin' but pestilential swamp. Typhus, malaria, cholera, yellow fever, you name it they got it. You see that, Mr. Dietrich! You are lookin' at the largest private air force in the entire world! What do you think of that now?!
- Noah: Well... It's your money!
- Howard: START 'EM UP!!!
- Howard Hughes: I've been to Chatsworth, Santa Cruz, Encino, San Diego, Riverside, Van Nuys, and Bakersfield. It has been eight months! Where are my goddamn clouds, huh?
- Professor Fitz: [shouting in frustration] They move, Mr. Hughes! Clouds move — that's what they do! They move!
- Katharine Hepburn: Well, if you're deaf, you must own up to it. Get a hearing aid, or see my father. He's an urologist, but it's all tied up inside the body, don't you find?
- Howard: Mmm.
- Katharine: Me, I keep healthy. I take seven showers a day to keep clean, also because I'm so vulgarly referred to as "outdoors-y." Well, I'm not "outdoors-y," I'm athletic. I sweat! There it is, now we both know the sordid truth: I sweat, and you're deaf. Aren't we a fine pair of misfits?
- Howard: I feel like a little adventure.
- Katharine: Do your worst, Mr. Hughes!
- Katharine: Howard's building a new aeroplane.
- Ms. Hepburn: Luddie built a birdhouse once!
- Jack Frye: So you want me to bribe senators?
- Howard Hughes: I don't want them bribed, Jack. I want it done legally. I want them bought.
- Katharine: I've been famous - for better or worse - for a long time now... I wonder if you know what that really means.
- Howard: I got my fair share of press on Hell's Angels. I'm used to it.
- Katharine: Are you? Howard, we're not like everyone else. Too many acute angles. Too many eccentricities. We have to be very careful not to let people in or they'll make us into freaks.
- Howard: Kate, they can't get in here. We're safe.
- Katharine: They can always get in. When my brother killed himself there were photographers at the funeral. There's no decency to it.
- Howard: [suddenly distraught] Sometimes... I get these feelings, Katie. I get these ideas, these umm... crazy ideas about (clears throat)... things that may not... um (clears throat)... things that may not really be there. Sometimes I truly fear that I am... losing my mind. And if I did, it... it would be like flying blind.
- [Katherine takes his face in her hands]
- Katherine: You taught me to fly, remember? I'll take the wheel.
- Doctor: [after detailing Howard's terrible injuries in the plane crash] He's getting blood transfusions now, but, uh...
- Noah: Whose blood?
- Doctor: I'm sorry?
- Noah: Whose blood?
- Doctor: From our stock.
- Noah: Oh, he's not gonna like that.
- Doctor: Mr. Dietrich... I doubt he's ever going to like or dislike anything again. I'm terribly sorry.
- Howard: You want to go to war with me?
- Sen. Ralph Owen Brewster: It's not me, Howard. It's the United States Government. We just beat Germany and Japan. Who the hell are you?
- Howard: If that shit-ass thinks he owns the entire goddamn world he's got another thing comin'!
- Jack: Juan Trippe is smart. We oughta think about Mexico.
- Howard: Oh, the hell with Mexico, Jack! No one airline should have a monopoly on flyin' the Atlantic! For Christ's sake, it just isn't fair! Look, he owns Pan-Am. He owns Congress, he owns the Civil Aeronautics Board, but he does not own the sky! We are in a street-fight with that sonuvabitch now and I'm not gonna lose; I been fightin' high-hat, Ivy League pricks like him my whole goddamn life!
- Ava Gardner: You listened to my phone calls?
- Howard: No! No! No! Honey, I would never do that! I'd never do that! I... I just read the transcripts, that's all.
- Howard: Will you marry me?
- Ava Gardner: You're too crazy for me.
- [Juan Trippe has just seen Howard's triumph at the Senate hearings on TV]
- Juan Trippe: [to an employee] Switch it off.
- Pan-Am Employee: The hearings aren't over yet.
- Juan Trippe: The hearings are over. The airline bill will be defeated in the Senate. TWA will begin flights over New York to Paris, leaving over Moscow to Japan - to Hawaii - to Los Angeles - To New York... Fuck!
- Howard: Do you know those men? Do they work for me?
- Noah: Everybody works for you, Howard.
- Some men dream the future. He built it.
- Leonardo DiCaprio — Howard Hughes
- Cate Blanchett — Katharine Hepburn
- Kate Beckinsale — Ava Gardner
- John C. Reilly — Noah Dietrich
- Alec Baldwin - Juan Trippe