2010 FIFA World Cup
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The 2010 FIFA World Cup was held in South Africa in 2010.
- Now, then. Landon Donovan for the United States. Twisting, turning. Can he find the right ball? Cesar hit it away; it's played back in by Bocanegra. Oh, and nearly Altidore getting under of it. A really good clearance by Jokić; just when it looked as if Jozy Altidore might be in. They really have to put Slovenia under pressure. If they can get one goal, I think, John. You just wonder, whether then Slovenia might start to look a little bit shaky and start to wonder. He's got in, behind. Donovan, Donovan goes alone and scores! Oh, what a goal! Landon Donovan, tremendous strike for the United States! It looked impossible, but Donovan did it! And the USA are back in business!
- Certainly rolling the dice now. Bob Bradley as he had to, really. Here's his son, Michael Bradley. Decent effort. Donovan, the man whose goal has given the United States at least hope. Altidore to lay it down, Bradley! Bradley, has done it! USA are level! The comeback kings, strike again! Michael Bradley, for the USA! What a moment! "Thank you son", says Bob Bradley. And I think the whole of the United States of America, says "thank you" too to Michael Bradley.
- I don't know what everybody back home is like watching this, but I'm very tense. I'll tell you that.
- Oh, talk about lightning striking twice. Another goal scrubbed out for the United States.
- Clint Dempsey off the post and again, and he's missed the rebound! Absolute agony for the USA!
- It just takes one moment to make the difference here for the USA of staying in this competition or leaving it.
- Four minutes of added time. That might lift the United States, that's time enough. Dreadfully negative, really. From the Algerians, they're looking for things on the break. I suspect they'll get a chance or two, on the break. Ghezzal, that's a good ball he's found there to Guedioura who plays it deep. Saïfi, with a header. Howard, gratefully claims it. Distribution, brilliant. Landon Donovan. Oh, are things on here for the USA? Can they do it here? Cross, and Dempsey is denied again, and Donovan has scored! Oh, can you believe this? Go, go, USA! Certainly through! Oh, it's incredible! You could not write a script like this!
- Played in, and it comes out into Landon Donovan, who strikes again. What a golden goal for the USA, if you're just joining us? There it is, the moment. Deep, deep into the match! To give the USA surely, a place in the last sixteen. It is breathtakingly exciting!
- It is over! The USA have made it, in a Hollywood-style finish!
- Now, van Bronckhorst with pace! Oh, it is an absolute firecracker from Giovanni van Bronckhorst! One, nil! Holland!
- It's a really good ball, it's Tshabalala! Goal for South Africa, goal for all Africa!
- You couldn't look away. Not even for a second. You were locked in, panicked. Scared stiff. Agony and angst at levels you never knew you had. It was near physical pain. But, in a blink? It was truly agony, to ecstasy.
- Michael Imperioli, United States v. Ghana (2010)
- Pick yourself up and dust yourself off and back in the saddle
You're on the front line
You know it's serious we're getting closer, this isn't over
- For us, it's been about a common goal. Not an automatic pass for a pack of superstars, and while our team is the U.S.? Today, you can call them "us". Because they've truly taken America along for the ride.
- Oh! What an error! What an awful moment for Rob Green and for England!
- Clive Tyldesley, United States v. England (June 2010)
- Encyclopedic article on 2010 FIFA World Cup at Wikipedia