A Study in Terror
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Sherlock Holmes meets Jack the Ripper! Here comes the original caped crusader! (taglines)
- Directed by James Hill. Written by Derek Ford and Donald Ford, with characters based on the works of Arthur Conan Doyle.
- Come, Mister Beck, your face reacts faster than your brain. You remember very well...
- For Heaven's sake, stop sawing away on that infernal instrument! It was a sad day when Mother gave it to you, a sad day for her, a sad day for you, a sad day for us all... What I cannot understand is why, since you've had that violin with you so long, you never learned to play!
- Max Steiner: Nobody steals in my pub, except me!
- Sherlock Holmes: My dear Mycroft, this is a surprise! Watson, some sherry... Is this a social call?
- Mycroft Holmes: Yes, yes, oh yes, purely social. [pause] How are you?
- Sherlock Holmes: Very well. [pause] Well, now that the social call is over, hadn't we better get down to business?
- Annie Chapman: Chunky?
- Chunky: Yes, Annie?
- Annie Chapman: You can have it for nothing if you want to, I'm feeling real lonely tonight, Chunky.
- Chunky: Oh, no thanks, love, I'm too busy, honest.
- Annie Chapman: Oh.
- Duke of Shires: Where did you get this case?
- Sherlock Holmes: I believe it to have come from a White Chapel pawn shop, sir.
- Duke of Shires: A Pawn shop. No more than I predicted for him...
- Sherlock Holmes: For whom, sir?
- Duke of Shires: My eldest son, Michael.
- Sherlock Holmes: Do you know of his present address?
- Duke of Shires: He is dead.
- Sherlock Holmes: Oh, of what accident or sickness, your grace?
- Duke of Shires: Disobedience. From the day he left this house against my wishes, he has been dead, sir.
- Sherlock Holmes: You mean disowned, your grace.
- Dr. Watson: Someone should have sent for us before this, Holmes.
- Sherlock Holmes: Someone has. The woman who sent me that instrument case.
- Dr. Watson: Oh, but then why doesn't she come out into the open?
- Sherlock Holmes: Being a woman, she uses a women's art. She intrigues us to White Chapel.
- Lord Carfax, Richard Osborne: What's all this about, Holmes, how did you get here?
- Sherlock Holmes: I followed this young lady.
- Sally: I saw no one.
- Sherlock Holmes: That is exactly what you'd expect to see when I follow someone.
- Dr. Watson: But how on Earth did you get out of it, Holmes?
- Sherlock Holmes: You know my methods, Watson, I am well known to be indestructable.
- Sherlock Holmes: Would you stand up?
- Dr. Watson: Whatever for?
- Sherlock Holmes: It is an old maxim of mine that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth, and therefore, you are sitting on my pipe.
- Dr. Watson: Holmes, there was an identical murder of a woman in Whitechapel just three days ago.
- Sherlock Holmes: Aha, a second murder!
- Dr. Watson: Mm.-hmmm
- Sherlock Holmes: Now, that is interesting.
- Dr. Watson: Why?
- Sherlock Holmes: Because it is the second murder.
- Dr. Murray: That is mere conjecture, Holmes.
- Sherlock Holmes: All circumstantial evidence is conjecture, Murray, but it is often right.
- Inspector Lestrade: Mr. Holmes is usually right.
- Sherlock Holmes meets Jack the Ripper! Here comes the original caped crusader!
- John Neville - Sherlock Holmes
- Donald Houston - Dr. Watson
- John Fraser - Lord Carfax
- Anthony Quayle - Doctor Murray
- Barbara Windsor - Annie Chapman
- Adrienne Corri - Angela Osborne
- Frank Finlay - Inspector Lestrade
- Judi Dench - Sally Young
- Charles Régnier - Joseph Beck
- Cecil Parker - Prime Minister
- Barry Jones - Duke of Shires
- Robert Morley - Mycroft Holmes
- Dudley Foster - Home Secretary