Adam Bennett Schiff (born June 22, 1960) is the U.S. Representative for California's 28th congressional district. He has served in Congress since 2001. He is a member of the Democratic Party. He serves as Ranking Member of the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence.
Open Letter to the Committee Hearing Re: FBI Director James Comey and National Security Agency Director Mike Rogers
- That foreign adversary was, of course, Russia, and it acted through its intelligence agencies and upon the direct instructions of its autocratic ruler, Vladimir Putin, in order to help Donald J. Trump become the 45th President of the United States.
- What does matter is this: the Russians successfully meddled in our democracy, and our intelligence agencies have concluded that they will do so again.
- What is striking here is the degree to which the Russians were willing to undertake such an audacious and risky action against the most powerful nation on earth. That ought to be a warning to us, that if we thought that the Russians would not dare to so blatantly interfere in our affairs, we were wrong. And if we do not do our very best to understand how the Russians accomplished this unprecedented attack on our democracy and what we need to do to protect ourselves in the future, we will have only ourselves to blame.
- If the Trump campaign, or anybody associated with it, aided or abetted the Russians, it would not only be a serious crime, it would also represent one of the most shocking betrayals of our democracy in history.
- The stakes are nothing less than the future of liberal democracy. We are engaged in a new war of ideas, not communism versus capitalism, but authoritarianism versus democracy and representative government.
- If they [the Department of Justice] are investigating Hillary Clinton, it doesn’t take a genius, let alone a stable genius, to see why. It’s not because there is some new evidence that has come to light. It’s because they’re being badgered by the White House to do it. I think that these cracks that we’re seeing in the independence of the Justice Department ought to concern every American.
"Inquisitr.com", 7 January 2018.