Jump to navigation Jump to search
Facebook is a social networking service launched in February 2004, which since September 2012 has over one billion active users.
Quotes about Facebook
- I think with all technology, people have an idea of how it will be used, but then it has a life of its own and people use it in all kinds of ways. In the same way with Facebook. I doubt when people first created Facebook they imagined it was going to help people in Egypt overthrow a dictator. So it does have a life of its own that we can’t predict.
- Heather Brooke, "Chatham House Talk", 28 September 2011.
- FB isn’t a social media company, it is a data tracking company. Why care that they track this data? Think the future, not just today. ... It isn’t just Facebook and what they will do with this data, but this data’s existence is a threat to our privacy and freedom.
- Facebook has now firmly established itself as a hub on the internet, making it a destination for surfers to do multiple tasks such as communications, gaming, shopping, photo-sharing and information gathering.
- Chris Green - an analyst at the Davies Murphy Group consultancy, quoted on BBC News, "Facebook tops Google searches for UK in 2013", 17 December 2013.
- I would ask [Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg], 'Can you explain to me the reasoning why such broad access to user data is granted, especially friends' data?
- Aleksandr Kogan in "Facebook: Your personal info for sale" by Aimeee Picchi, CBS News, March 21, 2018
- A big part of Facebook's pitch is that it has so much information about its users that it can more effectively target ads to those who will be responsive to the content. If Facebook can prove that theory to be true, then it may not worry so much about losing its cool cachet.
- Christopher Matthews, (January 15, 2014). "More Than 11 Million Young People Have Fled Facebook Since 2011". Business.time.com. Retrieved April 22, 2014.
- The tools Facebook provides make discrimination easy. Facebook has monopoly profit margins, so it could easily provide real staffing to protect against discrimination, if it wanted to. It doesn’t want to.
- Zephyr Teachout, Mark Zuckerberg's Facebook hearing was an utter sham (11 April 2018), The Guardian.
- Facebook likes to present itself as a tech company, but often appears more like an advertising corporation that happens to use digital technology in order to conduct its core business. [...] Facebook represents a new kind of corporate power, the dimensions of which are only now becoming apparent.
- "The Observer view on how Facebook’s destructive ethos imperils democracy" (editorial), The Observer, 17 March 2018
- I have one friend whose Facebook updates are exclusively complaining about Facebook.
- Paul F. Tompkins, Pod F. Tompkast, "EXTRASODE: Chik Tract", 31 July 2012.
- I doff my fedora to this Facebook! It's the smartest way to keep people dumb since we started fluoridating the water.
- Henry Topple (John Hodgman) Codefellas. Wired (17 July 2013). Codefellas EP4: The AntiSocial Network - WIRED - YouTube. YouTube. Retrieved on 2013-08-21.
- I think MySpace is doomed, I give them about two more years. [...] I think Facebook is the next Microsoft in both the bad and the good senses. That's an amazing company that is going to do a lot of good and bad things.
Quotes from Facebook
- We believe that a key part of combating extremism is preventing recruitment by disrupting the underlying ideologies that drive people to commit acts of violence. That's why we support a variety of counterspeech efforts.
- Monika Bickert, Facebook's head of global policy management, as reported by CNBC, January 17, 2018
- We stand against all forms of hate including hate targeting the Muslim community. We do not allow people to attack anyone based on their race, ethnicity, national origin or religion, and we remove this hate speech as soon as we become aware of it...Facebook “appreciate[s] feedback from governments, experts and communities as we work to keep our platform safe.
- [Facebook had removed the president's posts] because we judged that their effect - and likely their intent - would be to provoke further violence
- according to Facebook blocks Trump 'at least until transition complete' January 7, 2020
- The proposed law fundamentally misunderstands the relationship between our platform and publishers who use it to share news content,
- It has left us facing a stark choice: attempt to comply with a law that ignores the realities of this relationship, or stop allowing news content on our services in Australia. With a heavy heart, we are choosing the latter."
- Facebook regional managing director William Easton told the Associated Press according to "Facebook restricts users, publishers from sharing news content in Australia" ( February 17, 2021)