Marketing is the process of communicating the value of a product or service to customers. Marketing might sometimes be interpreted as the art of selling products, but selling is only a small fraction of marketing. As the term "Marketing" may replace "Advertising" it is the overall strategy and function of promoting a product or service to the customer.
- Quotes are arranged alphabetically by author
A - F
- An advertising agency is 85 percent confusion and 15 percent commission.
- Fred Allen (1894-1957), Treadmill to Oblivion (1954)
- Marketing is the art of making something seem better than it really is.
- Suso Banderas (1976- ), Randomsig sample sigquotes (2000)
- In Marketing there are those who satisfy needs and those who create wants.
- Juan Carlos Castillo (1974- ), Marketing in Action (2005)
- Life's too short to sell things you don't believe in.
- Patrick Dixon (1957- ), Building a Better Business (2005)
- The future of marketing belongs to honest information, accurate data and clear claims based on truth.
- You can tell the values of a nation by its advertisements.
- Norman Douglas (1868-1952), South Wind (1917)
- I believe we are born with our minds open to wonderful experiences, and only slowly learn to limit ourselves to narrow tastes. We are taught to lose our curiosity by the bludgeon-blows of mass marketing, which brainwash us to see "hits," and discourage exploration.
- Roger Ebert in: Jonathan Silverman, Dean Rader (2005), The world is a text, p. 315
G - L
- Until I came to IBM, I probably would have told you that culture was just one among several important elements in any organization's makeup and success — along with vision, strategy, marketing, financials, and the like... I came to see, in my time at IBM, that culture isn't just one aspect of the game, it is the game. In the end, an organization is nothing more than the collective capacity of its people to create value.
- Louis V. Gerstner, Jr. Who Says Elephants Can’t Dance? (2002)
- By the way, if anyone here is in advertising or marketing...kill yourself...you're the ruiner of all things good...you are Satan's spawn, filling the world with bile and garbage...kill yourself.
- Bill Hicks (1961 - 1994), "Revelations" (1992)
- Society drives people crazy with lust and calls it advertising.
- John Lahr (1941- ), The Guardian (August 1989)
- You cannot Adhere to the Teachings of the Church on Sunday and not Apply to the Marketplace
M - R
- Ads are the cave art of the twentieth century.
- Marshall McLuhan (1911-1980), Culture Is Our Business (1970)
- The flaw of target marketing is that it assumes people are indifferent to variety. Suburban white boys won't listen to Rap because supposedly they can't relate to urban black youths hopping around to all beat and no melody. What we get is music segregation on the airwaves and the record racks.
S - Z
- Marketing is inherently about producing results - either financial or otherwise.
- Geoff Smith (1962- ), VantagePoint Marketing (2005)