Amy Jean Klobuchar (born May 25, 1960) is an American lawyer and politician serving as the senior United States senator from Minnesota since 2007. A member of the Minnesota Democratic–Farmer–Labor Party (DFL), Minnesota's affiliate of the Democratic Party, she previously served as the Hennepin County attorney. She was a candidate in the 2020 presidential elections.
- I believe that we need to bring a significant number of our troops home. That’s the only that we send a clear message to the government of Iraq that we’re serious about this and that they need to start taking responsibility for their own country.... I am one who does not believe that we can bring all the troops home tomorrow. The situation is too precarious. But I believe we need to start this year, in the very near future, drawing down the troops.
- So what's the cost of the culture of corruption? Of people giving breaks to the oil companies and giving giveaways and Christmas presents to the drug companies and the insurance companies? The cost is $90 billion a year. There you go. Quantifiable.
- Ted Kennedy’s wit and stories, his passion for a cause and his country, and his love for the Senate just made you want to go to work every day. I had the privilege to serve with Ted Kennedy in the Senate for just two years. He was a mentor to so many of us just starting out, not in the traditional "this is how you get it done" way, but instead as an inspiration. He never gave up and had a fiery zest for the legislative battles that was always tempered by a bipartisan pragmatism. He was incredibly strong and effective and had the deep respect of everyone that worked with him.
- As quoted in Klobuchar issues statement on Kennedy (26 August 2009)
- At a time when we must heal the heart of our democracy and renew our commitment to the common good, I stand before you as the granddaughter of an iron ore miner, as the daughter of a teacher and a newspaperman, as the first woman elected to the United States Senate from the state of Minnesota, to announce my candidacy for president of the United States.
- Said at her campaign launch in Minneapolis, Minnesota on 10 February 2019. Quoted by CBS News. Amy Klobuchar launches presidential bid, joining record number of women candidates (10 February 2019). Retrieved 14 September 2019.
- I have won every place, every race — every time I've won.
- Said at a campaign speech in Ankeny, Iowa. Quoted by MPR News. On the campaign trail, Klobuchar sharpens electability message (15 July 2019). Retrieved 14 September 2019.
- I see natural gas as a transition fuel. It is better than oil but not nearly as good as wind and solar. I am being honest on what we need to do. We won't immediately get rid of it.
- Said at a town hall meeting on the climate crisis. Quoted by BringMeTheNews.com. What did Amy Klobuchar say at the CNN climate change town hall? (5 September 2019). Retrieved 14 September 2019
- The whole thing doesn't quite make sense and it's just another example of the President treating foreign policy like its some kind of game show. This isn't a game show, these are terrorists.
- Said after Donald Trump invited Taliban leaders to Camp David for peace talks. Quoted by CNN. Amy Klobuchar slams Trump for 'conducting foreign policy like a game show' (9 September 2019). Retrieved 14 September 2019.
- If you feel stuck in the middle of the extremes in our politics, you've got a home with me.
- Said in the Democratic Party TV debate on 12 September 2019. Quoted by the Guardian. How did each candidate in the Democratic debate do? (13 September 2019). Retrieved 14 September 2019.
- If this decision doesn’t cry out for that, I don’t know what does
- Congestion at ports and increased shipping costs pose unique challenges for U.S. exporters, who have seen the price of shipping containers increase four-fold in just two years. Meanwhile, ocean carriers have reported record profits. This legislation will level the playing field by giving the Federal Maritime Commission greater authority to regulate harmful practices by carriers and set rules on what fees carriers can reasonably charge shippers and transporters. As we work to improve our supply chains, I’ll keep fighting to establish trade opportunities for the U.S.
Quotes about Klobuchar
- Amy Klobuchar has a joke she'd like you to hear
- Klobuchar has proven cross-party support that I fear Warren will lose in key electoral states.
- Harris certainly benefits from the fact that few Democratic officeholders come to mind who could defeat her for the Democratic presidential nomination. Minnesota Sen. Amy Klobuchar performed well during her 2020 bid for the Democratic nomination, and New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker has charisma and speaking skills. Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg impressed some during his 2020 presidential run, as did Elizabeth Warren, who will turn 75 before the 2024 presidential election. California Gov. Gavin Newsom is an obvious name to consider, as is Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, if she is reelected in November.
- Stuart Rothenberg in In 2024, it could be Biden, Harris or bust (25 April 2022)